1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cammokombi gets a new radiator thingy

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by cammokombi, Oct 9, 2008.

1. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I now keep the spare wheel in the trailer as I have had a radiator thingy installed at the front. Its an oil cooler unit. That makes two radiator thingies I have now. The other smaller one is for the transmission fluid that one is located at the back. It looks different!!!!!!!!! Cammo.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. Marty

Marty Active Member

Now is there any way to paint it cammo, Geoff? :p

Although I'm guessing you've had that thought! :D

3. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Hey Cammo.... I am intrigued about this - I know you have had overheating problems in the past, but is this intended for cooling during outback travel or is this a response to a chronic overheating problem? Also, does the oil travel all the way to the front radiator, or is it some other form of cooling? (eg "water" or air) And the transmission radiator - I am curious as to why it is mounted in the low-pressure area at the back (rather than say also on the front)?

I hope it will prove reliable, and not introduce potential failure points (eg where the hoses meet the radiator).

Have you given it a test run yet? (I didn't notice it in the Prom pix) - I will be interested in the results.

Have fun, and good luck - I am looking forward to checking it out up close!

4. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Cammo

If you are having trouble with over heating why not post a few pics of your engine bay so that a few of our more mechanically- minded KC members can have a look at what you have got and see whether they can suggest something.

The only reason I say this is that I listened to what our mechanic, Mick, said when Kelly took Bonnie up to see him. All because of some missing tubing ...... which now has had some plates covering the holes ......... he said that the engine was running very hot as the air cooling system was being defeated by all the hot air staying around the engine.

Kelly did post a thread about this but how many people would pick that their engine was running hot because of that?

I am not saying that this is the cause of your problem that necessitated the two water-cooling systems but it may be smething that people can pick up and suggest alternatives or solutions to make your bus run a little better.

Cheers
    Brett

5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I have towed a heavy trailer behind the '82 for a few years now in all sorts of heat and so far touch wood I have not had overheating issues. It is a standard fuel injected 2l engine from that era with standard oil coling. Probably the original though I have had it overhauled once. Normally it sits on about 118 in the real hot weather. I am intrigued by the necessity for the external cooler. Mine is manual gearbox. Is it because it is 2l engine. Normally I am very heavily laden when I go camping. Is there something I should be worried about? With 200,000+ Ks so far with the trailer am I about to become unstuck?

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

If it overheats, then there is something wrong!

7. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

nothing too chronic

I dont usually have overheating problems with normal travel but I do in very hot daytime temps. I.E out in the desert in the outback etc. So much so that I decided that I needed all the help I can get. I havent put it to the extreme test yet, not till it gets into some hot weather. Oil temp guage is a sump conection type. It runs at between 115 and 120 in normal touring fully loaded with trailer.
    Cammo.

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I have run my camper fully laden in 43 degree heat for long distances out in the desert country and have no issues. The worst was not in the desert but at Wyndham where I took the trailer up to the five rivers lookout. It is very steep and I found a sign after I had gone up there advising against taking the trailer. Anyhow the day was about 41. The temp got to 135 which scared me a bit. The temp dropped back to 120 as soon as the crawl was over. I agree with Synchro that there must be another issue as I certainly don't get overheating issues no matter where I have taken the camping rig. I must admit that once the day's temp gets over about 43 it isn't pleasant driving so I'll go camp under a tree.

I would also be concerned with a radiator sitting out there. The number of rocks I have taken on the front of the camper would possibly do damage to an unprotected radiator. Hence an even worse situation where an oil leak would need to be addressed.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  9. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

my vw guy

my vw guy says all else is good even the tappits. I wonder if its just coz its an automatic?

10. VWCOOL

VWCOOL New Member

wrong post

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  11. Van Housing

12. Van Housing

I got this message from the Kombi Guardian regarding the possibility the auto gearbox is causing the overheating problems:

"The auto tranny does not increase load on engine - actually it helps by auto shifting where necessary.
    There is no way it can cause motor to overheat.
    Will motor turn over or start?

The auto box is extremely strong and though there are two versions the only difference is kickdown operation -later is electrical- I have driven both and unless you are looking for it there is no major difference.

The box is typical German design -very similar to MB - it is virtually a manual box with hydraulic clutches at each end- sounds similar to latest DSG boxes doesn't it :)

Parts are still obtainable and as of approx 8 months ago were $625 for complete overhaul kit - genuine ex Germany. "