1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cammos northern adventure

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cammokombi, Jun 23, 2007.

1. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Melbourne to Cooktown

WooHoo!!!!!
    KOMBI DOES IT AGAIN!!!!!

The Cammokombi arrived safe and well in Cooktown in Far Northern Queensland. We have free camped all the way up but have now lashed out for a caravan park here in Cooktown. Now that the road is made all the way I think Little Cooktown may begin to go the way of all paradise spots and become over developed. I am glad I can see it as it is now before they get thier greedy hands on it. The fishing is great, the weather is perfect and we are just kicking back and relaxing in the warmth. Even the nights are warm. The Kombi is performing very well and I will get the tappits looked at here in Cooktown to see if they need any adjustments etc. Before heading off in another direction and meandering back into winter. I highly recomend that any adventurers have a go at getting to Cooktown. The mountain ranges and rain forrests and gorges etc are well worth a look. Oh yes, I can also recomend the Cooktown Pub for food. (grin).
    Bye from the tropics,
    Cammo.

2. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

sounds great....it was a top of 10.5 degrees last week in Melbourne....I'm jealous...enjoy!

3. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Nice one Cammo,sounds as though you're having a ball.What an adventure.
    Yes im familiar with that bird species you've spotted there and im also familiar with that great old watering hole in Cooktown...aaahh remenicing:)
    Safe trip homeward bound weary travellers.

4. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

The adventure continues

Hi all,
    We are still enjoying the tropics. We camped in a remote area of coastline called Archers Point. A typical bush camp with no facillities. It looked just like a post card. Palm trees right on a white sandy beach. On The York Peninsular the wind blows none stop but the scenery is spectacular. I was eating large plump oysters right off the rocks. With an eye out for Crocs all the time of course. A snake paid our camp a visit but he decided he didnt like my company much and left. Ha! My computers mother board fried so I am relying on Internet cafes etc. at the moment. So I wont be on as much now. We will head inland from Cairns and go outback away from the coastal weather patterns. So CooEee from me now and catch up soon.
    Regards,
    Cammo.

5. The Brewmaster

The Brewmaster New Member

Way to go Cammo

Way to go Cammo

Hope you haven't gone too troppo up north! Have a safe journey. Gee that free camping book must be good!

Take care mate

Brett

6. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

Was wondering what neck of the woods you guys have been in, especially being so darn cold at the moment!!! Glad to hear that everything is going to the (non)plan, and look forward to hearing about all of your adventures when you get back....if you ever do!

7. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Still alive and kicking

Hi Guys,
    Yes we are still alive and kicking! At the moment we are zig-zagging through the inland way. Exploring a lot of outback Queensland. We have found some amazing free camps thanks to the publication called Camps Australia 4. I recomend it to any adventurer out there. The Cammokombi is going really well. I had the tappits adjusted at 5000 k and will get them done again with a full service at 10,000k So far we have done just under 8000k on this trip. It is a fantastic adventure and have made a few friends along the way. No wonder I have chosen this as a lifestyle thing. Just you and your kombi, what a way to go. I think we will be in Melbourne some time next month not too sure yet but will let you know. I am currently sat in a public library using the internet computer as mine died. Theres always something eh? At least this trip the Kombi has done wonders and on some amazing dirt roads too. So its hi and bye from me for now.
    Regards,
    Cammo.

8. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

good to hear you are having a great time geoff, better still, great that the cammo is performing well also.

cheers brian and cathy

9. back street bessie

Good to hear from you again Cammo...happy travels on the homeward stretch.:)

10. Marty

Marty Active Member

I'm glad all is going well and you're having a good time. See you when you're back in the big smoke.

11. hoops

hoops New Member

Be very weary if you get to the Darwin Region Geoff - they may see the Cammo Kombi as an intruder with those colours lol.

You keep drivin safely on those roads.

Oh! and did you note the real estate pricing in CookTown. My sister visits there regularly and she loves the place - and "That Pub".

Cheers

12. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Back south again

[​IMG]
    Hello everyone,
    The northern adventure came to a sudden end as I made a mad dash over 3 days to get back to melb. Mum was admitted to hospital so I returned to offer my support etc. She is fine although still in hospital. (heart attack) So its bye bye to the hot days and hello winter again. These water restrictictions will take getting used to again. Total kilometres for the trip is 10,000!!! Woohoo! The Cammokombi did us proud and we even did some amazing outback tracks to find those secluded camping spots.
    [​IMG]

13. 4tune8

4tune8 New Member

that pic of the palms is 'postcard material'

14. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Hope your Mum is Ok, We wish her well

Regards

Chris and Michelle

15. The Brewmaster

Best wishes for your mum Geoff!

Hope your mum is on the steady road to recovery Geoff!

Nothing is more important than family!

16. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Thanks guys for the best wishes etc.
    I have had some really good news. As I had done 10,000k on this last trip I booked the kombi in for a big service and tune up etc. The only thing wrong was the ball joint seals had ruptured. Possibly a few too many corrugations. To be expected I guess. So with that being the only thing wrong I am so proud of the Cammokombi. Right up to Cape York and back without missing a beat and no over heating problems. Woohoo!

17. back street bessie

Hey Cammo...Welcome home mate,glad your Mums on the road to recovery and your Kombi looked after you.
    I love that shot of the sky..its on fire!:)

18. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

10,000 kms certainly sounds like a great trip to me Geoff. And glad to hear that your mom is doing well, and hope she is out of hospital soon.
    Would like to pick your brain sometime about what sort of cost was involved with an adventure like this. Just going through the thread, it amazes me that you guys were gone for so long. Would like to do something like this with in the next couple of years...hope to see you soon!!

19. The Brewmaster

Perhaps a thread is there.....Travel Tips and Advice

Perhaps a thread is there.....Travel Tips and Advice..... for all those hoping to do a big road trip in the future.

• What tools to take
    • Free camp spots guide
    • Essential equipment list
    • Great places to visit
    • etc, etc, etc, ........

If there is a thread of advice/tips then more KC members might be able to hit the road for the ultimate kombi experience of a prolonged road trip away from home.

As I said, just a suggestion for the Moderators to thinks about...

Brett