Camping ACT

Discussion in 'ACT' started by steek, Mar 13, 2008.

1. steek

steek Member

C'mon Guys and Gals.

There must be somewhere in (the) Canberra (region) that has camping facilities or is worth going to or both.

2. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Not really all that much. There is the Cotter which is pretty dodgy, it has like barbeques, and a bathroom, oooh and a river. But its like 10 bucks a night and the gates close at 10 on any nights worth camping, so you can't escape.

Canberra is somewhat small, therefore lacking in space to camp. There is possibly a few spots on the Equestrian Trail which runs through Canberra, one at Yarralumla but I am not sure about how to get in there and it may have burnt.

There are a few camping like complexes around. The nicest one I think would be Canberra Motor Villiage in O'Connor, its right under Telstra Tower and has tennis courts I believe, then probably a few more around places. But thats all I can think of, whenever I feel the need to camp I leave Canberra...so I can't really help you.

Good luck though, and post on here if you find something good.

Gabriella

3. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Yeah. There are a few including where the Kombi Club camped at Easter last year but I prefer to camp in the areas around the ACT. A few worth investigating but you must camp in the carpark. Most cost for overnight and you must get a key from the park rangers if you want to use showers. I have camped in many with Cubs from Canberra but as I said earlier I prefer the surrounding district. Maybe it is that I live 40ks towards the coast from Canberra.

4. nige

nige New Member

Has anyone taken their van down to tuross falls? There's a great free campsite there and it's only an hour and a half or so from canberra. Minimal facilities, pit toilet and picnic tables only, but great summer swimming and views.

The road in is unsealed and a bit hairy for the last bit of the drive with a decent climb on the way out. I've taken front wheel drive hatchbacks in and out easily though.

5. Kombi Dad

I've taken the camper down there. I assume you are talking about the Cascades camping area. Last time I was there it rained and coming back out was interesting. I was happy that I had already fitted the locking diff. In a map put out by the Parks and Wildlife they say it is recommended for 4WD only. Maybe it was an old map and I didn't read the map until I got home.

6. nige

nige New Member

Yeah, I'm talking about the cascades camping area. They've done a bit of work smoothing out and widening the track over the last few years. It's still a bit rough, but negotiable. That hill though, it'd be a real challenge for my old bus under the right conditions :)

7. Gabriella

Gabriella New Member

Sounds like fun actually :p I have a thing for dodgy roads.

Have to check it out some time, how many K's out is it and which direction is it in?

8. nige

nige New Member

I'd guess at about 160 or so kms from centre of canberra by road. In a straight line it would only be 60kms in distance away, but the back roads that way go through peoples properties and it's a bit of a mystery.

You basically drive to cooma, turn to numeralla, pass numeralla and about 15-20kms out of town there's signs on the right to a state forest or national park, i can't remember. After that it's a few turns here and there. fairly well hidden.

It's been a while since i've been out there with the drought and all, so my memory's a bit hazy. Maybe I'll take a special trip out there and document access a bit better sometime soon :)

9. Cai

Cai New Member

There is also free camping in Araluen which is on the way to the coast from canberra

10. VWFREAK

VWFREAK New Member

Club VeeDub Canberra Chapter will be holding a camping trip, near Cotter in September. Stay tuned for further details.

11. steek

steek Member

It's nice to see that I seem to have started people thinking about what our lovely nation's capitol has to offer besides the usual tourist attractions. Keep up the good work.

12. Kombi Dad

And a great camp at Cotter it was

[​IMG]

13. KanadaKombi

KanadaKombi New Member

Hi all merry xmas,
    We are in the ACT until the new year and were hoping to take off with the kids for a little camping trip around the area for a few days. Tuross falls sounds like a good option. The National Parks website says that the access to the cascades camping area is via a 4wd only road??
    Should I risk it in my 84 camper??
    If not, any other good camping options would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jeremy

14. Kombi Dad

See my other post.

15. fernjasmine

fernjasmine New Member

there is also the brindabella valley the road is unsealed and a little scary when the 4wd are out in plague proportions and you have to take a shovel if you want a toilet but it is really beautiful. i managed it with my very sick 79 camper

16. Kombi Dad

Welcome to the club. I have also camped up that way in the Brindabella Valley as well as up some of the fire trails that lead off the Canberra / Tumut road. All have been fully self contained.

17. orchidkombi

orchidkombi New Member

Honeysuckle Creek

Hi everyone - I'm new here, but I'd suggest Honeysuckle Creek camping ground at Namadgi National Park. About 45 mins from Canberra, via Tharwa & Apollo Rd.

It's on the rustic side - only tank water and a long-drop toilet - but it has free gas BBQs, and open fires (bring your own wood). It's the only National Park campground in the ACT with room for vans, and there are about 6 spots.

We're lucky enough to be able to go during the week when it's dead quiet. On long weekends and school holidays it can get a bit busy. It sits at around 1100m elevation, so gets a bit of snow during winter. We had a lovely snow-camp up there in our 76 Dormobile, Omo a few years back!

18. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Yes - Honey Suckle creek area is georgeous. Done some day trips up there but no camping there yet.

19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That's my backyard! :lol:

Anyone going there, passes my driveway!

20. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Fitzroy falls is another nice spot for a weekend.