Camping at Lake Mungo

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by JaneC, May 15, 2018.

1. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thank you David! This is all great info. I do have an onboard compressor and another emergency puncture repair kit. As at the moment I don't lug my spare around, naughty I know. But I will take it on this trip!

2. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Very sage advice!

3. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thanks David, the front sway bar is a new one on me...I'd be worried I'd do something I can't fix! But I will certainly investigate and see if I can see what you mean. Thanks!

4. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thanks Wayne! Fabulous, that's what I want to hear. And so glad you and your Dad have both done it. It appears I will also be coming through Balranald. I was going to take extra fuel too. And the winter clothes! Yes. Fabulous advice.

Wayne murray likes this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

.... .and don’t forget to let us know how it all goes !
    Cheers,
    Mark

JaneC likes this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Disconnecting sway bar is for serious rock hopping.
    Not something I can imagine you doing in Dot. :)
    Also changes handling markedly.
    Not something you would do on corrugated roads.

Another thing to watch on corrugated roads is corners.
    Approach with care and low speed as you will vibrate across the road and swing wide.

Lowering pressures also affects handling but is usual practice for corrugations.
    Can't remember suggested numbers but f 30 and r 34 probably a starting point.
    Better to trash a tyre than vibrate carbs to bits which has been known to happen.
    Being with 4x4 crew I guess you will get a few opinions to sort thru on pressures for corrugations but keep in mind that a kombi needs higher pressure in rear over front pressures.
    Regardless what you choose keep 4psi greater in rear when doing speed on hwy and corrugations.
    Soft Sand at very low speeds can be closer. Maybe 2 psi difference at a guess.
    Reason for keeping rear up a bit includes their being driving wheels and don't want to spin bead at very low pressures.
    Some claim to have dropped to 12psi for recovery but would be recovery only , be very careful at that and blow up to 18 psi as soon as dug out would be my choice.
    Don't think I have ever needed to go under 18psi.

Not that you will notice it but the taller tyre will theoretically be better on corrugations. The slight width gain won't make much difference but really wide tyres are normally avoided.
    The advantage in sand will be quantifiable.

JaneC likes this.
  7. Quombi

Quombi Well-Known Member

Hi JaneC, I spoke to my Dad and he came through there a few days ago (Balranald to Munro to Darnick). He said the roads pretty cut up. So in Dad talk (85 years in the area) that means the road is very bad. There hasn't been any substantial rain for a long time so the roads go to powder (we call it bull dust). It is super fine red dust that gets in Everywhere! Where there is no bull dust will be hard (like rock) areas so watch your tyres. These are normally in the centre of the road so watch the tracks as locals will make side tracks around them, down into the table drains and sometime a separate track out and around bad areas. As people have mentioned there will also bad areas of corregates, mainly on corners so take them slow and if you can see ahead safely take the very inside corner tight. You will get to know the right speed - there is a sweet spot, too slow or too fast you get shaken apart.
    Check your engine seals and door seals. Have windows up and fan going to try and pressurise the bus as much as possible. Dust will still get in and you will have red dust forever so be prepared for that. Blow the dust off the back door before opening otherwise you will get a face full and the rest will go inside. Don't try and keep up with your 4WD buddies. Take your time and enjoy the country. I'm not sure from the Balranald end but not much mobile range out there so go prepared, always have water. It's desert climate so warm days but freezing at night.
    The park is beautiful and soooo much Aboriginal history, however it is not to everyone's liking. Check out the park website and the gallery to understand what your driving to. Some visitors complain that they drive all that way for 'nothing'. Plan your days so you are not driving at dawn or dust as the kangaroos are bad, if you don't plan to well then slow down even more, they blend in with the scrub and you don't see them till it's too late.
    But saying all that I think that area is amazing but I'm a bit bias. If something does happen then the locals are great and will stop to help you.

8. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

I was about to suggest you for up to date info Geoff. You beat me to it. I've been in there in a 69 HT Holden and had no trouble. Yes its dirt, with corrugations but steady driving will do it.
    Last time I went through the pooncarie to menindee road was way worse than the trip into mungo.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    JaneC likes this.
  9. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry, As a ex bush basher from way back I cant see the trip being too difficult, as long as it doesn't rain.

JaneC likes this.
  10. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thank you Quombi, that is fabulous info. Bit nervous about the bull dust now. I like keeping Dot clean! But the info is very helpful. Hopefully it will all go well. And I will post pictures and info when I get phone coverage!

Quombi likes this.
  11. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

:D
    I think were going to Mutawinji first and then onto Lake Mungo. Poor Dot will really be tested! She's off to Indian Automotive for a good safety check and service and I'm getting those new tyres as well.

12. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

I will post photos and info when I have coverage! Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful advice. Much appreciated.

13. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thanks so much Cbus! I don't think I'll be disconnecting anything that I may not to be able to connect it again. Particularly as I don't know what it is. Ha ha! :p:) Thanks for all your advice!

14. wombatventures

wombatventures Active Member

The road from Mutawinji down to the main highway is corrugated but quite passable to conventional vehicles. Take it steady and enjoy the scenery. Check out the sign on the gate near the highway.
    If your planning to go to the "Hill" then it's probably wort going down the Silver City Highway towards Wentworth and back across to Mungo. The Pooncarie -Menindee road is renowned for its corrugations, although there is the option of going down through Kinchega National Park on the west side of the Darling and through Lake Tandou and to Pooncarie that way. The Menindee Lakes are mostly dry or very low at the moment. We were there in April.
    Take lots of photos, it's amazing country out there.
    Have fun.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    JaneC and cbus like this.
  15. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

I had a small hiccup with dog sitting but I may have solved it! Depends what day I set off as to where everyone else is... I hope to make Mutawinji. I'm renowned for getting distracted along the way and definitely want to see Broken Hill and surrounds. Thanks for the tips!

David H likes this.