Camping during the Christmas week - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by Rach, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Rach

Rach Member

Hi Happy Campers
    We want to go camping the week between christmas and new year, were thinking of Walhalla not far from Melb, but the campsite is first come first serve with minimal facilities. Has anyone camped there over that period and does anyone have any suggestions - about 2-3 hours from Melb and near water would be nice, but doesn't have to be beach.

Kind Regards

Rach

2. Phillip Murray

Phillip Murray New Member

Hi Rach..

try Melbourne BIG4 Holiday Park in 265-271 Elizabeth St. COBURG, VIC, 3058 they have good reviews over the net...
    Highly recommended cabins. Clean, comfortable, friendly park with good facilities.

try calling them: (03) 9354 3533

3. skat66

skat66 Member

I think Rach is actually trying to get out of Melbourne. :wtf:

Maybe up around the source of the Murray, its nice up there and you don't get the speed boats.

4. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

5. pip

pip New Member

Blanket Bay

Blanket Bay near Cape Otway has a few sites left over Xmas and before New Year. Book through Parks Vic Apollo Bay.
    Pip

6. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

I think you'll find Walhalla will be packed out, but a truly magic place to camp any other time. One of the best spots I've ever pitched a tent in. Breathtaking scenery last time I was there, but that was back in the mid 80's and I bet the tourist thing has taken over by now and ruined the place like it does everything else:umm:

7. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

That is gold. Coburg for the xmas hols. :lol:

Apologies to all Coburgians.

8. Rach

Rach Member

Hilarious, we live in Reservior...:lol:
    Seriously, thanks for the suggestions. Going to stay at home now, but will try Walhalla later in the year, I really want to check it out. If anyone is interested, there is an awesome camping ground near Reservior called Nioka Bush Camp - it's kind of in the northern burbs but you'd think you were in the middle of nowhere. There is a histerical homestead there as well called Le Page, great gardens.

Thanks for the chuckle

Rach

9. skat66

skat66 Member

"Hi Rach..

try Melbourne BIG4 Holiday Park in 265-271 Elizabeth St. COBURG, VIC, 3058 they have good reviews over the net...
    Highly recommended cabins. Clean, comfortable, friendly park with good facilities."

Come on, on a busy day it could take two to three hours to get from Reservior to Coburg and there is the exotic Merri Creek flowing through there that can provide the water views and back drop to a beautiful camp site near McDonalds.

10. Rach

Rach Member

Yep, sure...and I forgot about the exotic Merri Creek, so lovely this time of year. Just think, could pop down to the Preston Market, always a fun time there, day trip to Pipeworks...what was I thinking!

11. ThompsonEd

ThompsonEd New Member

You can also try Riverview family caravan park. They have good quality accommodation. It is near the Barwon river which makes it great for water-sports and fishing.