Camping in the Snow

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Whitie, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Whitie

Whitie Active Member

I was wondering if anyone has had any success & could offer some advise to camping in the snow.
    Looking for an alternative to the over priced accommodation rates & thinking of camping in the bus on a powered site with a heater.
    Any ideas would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Tony

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Use a small oil filled heater.

3. jjdz

jjdz Active Member

a good start would be to keep your cloths on
    hope you got home safe

4. Whitie

Whitie Active Member

Lol, thanks Jeff, yes we had a great run over the Bells line Rd no traffic

MAP77 likes this.
  5. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I have camped in the high country a bit in a VW and also under the stars in previous employment. I found wearing thermal underwear to work for me i.e. dress warm.

Ian

6. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Heater..... Mmmm, looooxury!! :)

Just be careful of heater source because anything that burns to create heat is also eating up your limited supply of Oxygen in the Kombi with all windows closed. I spent many a month years ago sleeping in the Swiss Alps during winter in my Lowlight tin top camper (no heater) with girlfriend. In the morning, you have serious ice on the roof (on the inside) and all windows from the night's frozen respiration; it's not until you've done something like this that you realise how much water you lose from your body during a nights breathing....
    Also, all your liquid food (milk, juice, water) will be frozen solid, your jeans will be stiff and you're waiting for the sun's rays to start melting ice and warming your bones. Thermal underwear, fleeces, woollen socks, beanies, etc are all highly recommended.
    Of course, if you are using a safe heater then the above pleasures :rolleyes: will be missed.

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Mind your radiator water does not freeze!
    Never done snow but lots of times cold enough to ice-up inside the windows. Hot water bottle is nice before you jump into cold sheets.

jtkombi, betsy and Ninga like this.
  8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Suitable bed clothing (down doona or sleeping bag) a good start - back in the late 70's and early 80's camp @ Sawpit Creek in the Kosciuszko National Park in a caravan and even back of a HK wagon - never needed a heater .... Cold enough to freeze a glass of water or half drank scotch & Coke ..... Survived ok and so fresh in the morning :D:cool::rolleyes: .... Should add body warmth helped :eek:

KombiMadness and betsy like this.
  9. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Buy some of those hand heat warmers as soon as activated they generate heat for up to 6 hours $2.00 each- your'e supposed to put them in your pockets so I guess if bought enough you could put they anywhere....... Within reason -son took some to the snow last year and worked a treat

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Powered site = portable electric blower heater.....no problem!
    I used to camp under canvas at Sawpit creek when I was younger & broke....
    Good thermals & a good tent got me through many nights comfortablely....
    Limit the alcohol, otherwise someone will find you where you fall......frozen solid!
    Snow/ winter is not as friendly as Bus Stop venues :rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

11. KahunaKombi

Nooooooooooo Mark the alcohol is anti freeze :eek: :confused: ;)

12. openwindows

openwindows New Member

Hey, I have stayed in Jindy loads of times in the Kombi to get as much skiing in as possible. Both parks are fine - great camp kitchens and importantly untamed hot water showers!! You will need a small fan heater so just make sure it is clear of any material and you are away. The Kombi will be in the slow lane on the way to the ski tube but that is about the only downside at all. Enjoy.

David H likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

Body warmth more effective than a fan heater :eek::confused::p:D

14. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Def a fan heater if you're with your mates! 3 guys in a Kombi. Days full of skiing, chains (still have the set), Jindy pub for tea. Mate so hungry at the end of the day he actually ate some of the cardboard plate without realising. In fairness it had absorbed the steak juice:p! Nostalgia.:D
    Cheers

KahunaKombi likes this.
  15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Sit by the open fire in a privately owned "on snow" chalet, with Kombi in the carport. :)

Just got to have the right friends, that own and offer these properties to you for free. ;)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    David H likes this.
  16. David H

Where were you in the 80's:p. Could have utilised that:D.
    Cheers

17. KahunaKombi

Now where's the fun or adventure in that :rolleyes:

18. KahunaKombi

Knew the owner/manager of the Alpine Gables and the boys from Snow Business (ski hire on ground floor @ the back) and enjoyed Mongrel Dogs Week staying there with them.

1980 rented a unit @ East Jindabyne and shared cost with 3 footy mates - 1981 seconded to Solomon Islands for 2 years = yup one of them wrecked the system in 1 year so I just pulled the plug on it - went from paying it's way to having to put extra in to keep the lease = screw that.

19. peter1000

peter1000 Active Member

Did some camping in the high country many years ago hot water bottles wrapped in towels allow for regulated heating under the best feather dooner you can get.
    Put every thing you don't want to freeze in the fridge <not on> everything you need cold leave out

I used to like the diggings as there was a great high parking spot to bump start in the morning very important as the cold does test the battery after a few days not travelling far.

I used to bump start the car then make a cupper allowing the thermostat to open listen for the snow plough to come down then follow it back up to get the best spot

A good book I used to like the snowy early history stories for a day that it gets messy June July are worst late august early Sept the best
    Don't park under trees as they get very brittle when freezing and the wind gets up
    Snow chains a must and drive very defensively as it is too late if it goes wrong you either hit the bank or over the edge early and late are worst as the frost or any dampness turns the road into an ice skating surface
    I used to get a season ticket for camping in nsw national parks was about 70 bocks but would think it gone up by now
    Jindabine heated pool is a great go to spot after a week in the cold and the caravan park there is just great for retreating if the weather turns real bad
    We certainly all like our holidays at the beach but I think the Snowy Mts is if not the best place to go camping.. holidaying it should be in the top 10 holiday destinations in Australia
    but mostly nobody I know can understand when I tell then how great it is so maybe write a book and tell everyone how bad it is and we can keep it of the radar
    Enjoy yourself I'm jealous
    pete

David H likes this.
  20. David H

Jindabyne Caravan Park with a small heater on a powered site. Hot showers. Pub next door;).
    Cheers