1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camping with kids

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by Petra, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Petra

Petra Member

Hi all,

Mother of three here and new to the kombi community. Does anyone camp with three children? What’s your setup?

Cheers

2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

2 Kids and a dog.
    Rock and roll bed in the bus does one set, either Anita and I or the kids.
    And the second set outside in a little tent.
    Or kids with Anita in the bus and me in a hammock.

David H and oldman like this.
  3. Petra

Petra Member

Was thinking the same for sure but the way people carry on insert eye roll

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Not now - but use to.
    3 boys

When very small they were in the tent with us.
    As they grew we had a 2nd tent

5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Everyone has a fairly large shelter of some sort for shade.
    Either roll out awning or different types of fold out gazebo.
    Pretty much essential.

Ninga likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

They would be non-kombi folk......forget ‘em.....you’re about to meet a whole lot of really good people !
    Get amongst it....;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Petra, Ninga, David H and 2 others like this.
  7. Petra

Petra Member

How delightful

8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Started with just a Kombi Petra & then a partner & then 2 girls:). We camped with a kombi tent next to us for shade & table & the 2 girls sleeping in the upstairs bed. DCP01995.JPG Graduated to a camper trailer (double bed with bunk beds & a spot for the portaloo & shower off the tailgate). I'm sure if you look real hard in this photo there will be a blue Kombi;)
    P1000692.jpg2.jpg
    Mate & his son in the photo. That's him in the red shirt doing nothing & at least he was consistent:p. Mate & son slept in the Kombi. Girls in their bunk beds in the camper trailer & me in a double by myself;)..luxury! Everything in this photo was taken there by the Kombi !!
    And now back to just me & partner (with a sheep skin underlay) & looks like this IMG_0498.jpg2.jpg
    The many ways of Kombi camping. Enjoy:D
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    prone likes this.
  9. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Like DavidH our Kombi camping has evolved, only we have always had tin tops. Our camping setup needed to be easily converted from camper to bus to van as we needed it for all kinds of duties.
    The T2 kombi started with clip in cupboards/cooker that formed the base for a bed in the rear when there was just two of us, and was easily removed to put the rear seats back in when needed. When the kids were little, there was room for three in the back with my partner, and me in a tent.
    We tried a camper trailer for a short while, but they were a little cumbersome for us and preferred a tent.
    Now the kids are a little older we now have a T3 (tintop), the rear seat folds down and fits a queens size mattress in the back, and a small (home made) bed that sits across the front seats. We could fit all five inside if it's too cold or wet, but usually have a small tent or swag so we have options on where we all sleep.
    Camping/cooking gear fits in cupboards in the middle of the van, and usually take a couple of gazebo's for shelter.

As the kids grow our setup evolves, but that's the great thing with the kombi, it can evolve with us!

Barry and Petra like this.
  10. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Have camped with multiple kids, bay window pop top, 2 kids sleeping up top adults below, they bring friends add a tent, they bring a few friends we bought a drive away awning. Kombi’s are versatile, that’s why there so great. Just get out and enjoy

11. Petra

Petra Member

I’m really happy to hear that Andy, I love that you all fit inside in bad weather as that has been on my mind, or let’s say for quick overnight camps.

12. Petra

Petra Member