1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canary in the Front RH wheel

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by skat66, May 31, 2013.

1. skat66

skat66 Member

I have a chirping sound coming from the RH wheel. When I brake it stops but soon comes back again. The whole brake system has been taken off and apart and put back on the van thinking that it might be something caught in there or wheel touching the pad or backing.. Alas it is still there but slightly less.

Any suggestions to look at?

Garry

2. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hey Garry when you pulled the brake system apart did you replace the piston "O" rings in the brake calipers. Another thinh to look at is the pads, I had a near new set delaminate slightly on 1 corner causing a squeak that also went away when even the slightest pressure applied to the brakes but would return when foot off the brake.

3. skat66

skat66 Member

The pad is releasing and it looked ok. I even had VW Performance look whist they were doing the lowering but they could not see anything amiss. I cannot see what else could be touching the rotor or even the wheel. Sometimes it will happen when turning right as well!

4. Luckyphil

When things heat up and expand can cause it to rub but not when cool. I got nothing else :)

5. skat66

skat66 Member

Thanks Phil.
    I have driven some long distances. 100km. with it chirping and not getting heat in the pad or wheel that I thought I should if the pad was touching. Got me beat. Guess I will really find out when I drive to Adelaide next week and then head down to Perth from Darwin the following week.

Garry

6. kombivan

kombivan New Member

drive down the road and swerve left to right and see if the wheel bearings are making the noise

7. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

We have the same problem with our 74 camper, it has been in for repairs and its worse now. If you find a solution we would love to know what it was.

8. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Take pads out and sand them, also sand all sharp edges, clear all parts with brake cleaner in a can, put pads back in opposite side to where it came out

9. Ian 68

Ian 68 New Member

I had the same problem on my Yoot.

I replaced everything with new parts and it drove me crazy to the point that I wouldn't / couldn't drive it.
    I stripped it down and did as Mike said above and still had a problem so I took it to a clutch and brake shop locally and they replaced the brand new seals in the calliper which they said were slightly oversize and causing the piston to stick slightly in the bore.

Make sure everything is spotlessly clean, no dirt/ dust etc in bores, behind seals etc ....hope that helps.

10. Luckyphil

Stripping down brakes is not just pulling the bits off, cleaning and replacing them. You need to replace the piston o ring, dust boot and lubricate the slide rods. put back together and bleed brakes. You will need to have access to compressor to blow out the piston. When putting the piston back in the bore an easy way to get it started is to ensure it is square and then use the handle of a hammer to put pressure on the piston to get it back in. Or take both calipers off take them to a brake shop and have them do the job for you, should not charge more than 1 hour labour, and put it all back on and bleed yourself. If this rebuild does not fix it then probably need new calipers as they do wear out.

11. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

I'd still be thinking about the wheel bearing. Braking will steady the system and stop the chirp. Have you felt the bearing cover after driving to see if it is hot?

If this is the problem continued driving will cause the bearing to collapse and locks the hub - you cannot drive anywhere.

12. skat66

skat66 Member

I initially thought that but there are new bearings in there less than 1000km ago and still chirping before and after.

As I am going to Darwin via Adelaide and the Ghan next weekend, I will get the workshop up north in Darwin to pull the brake apart completely and fit new seals whilst they are changing the height of the van for the run down to Perth.

Driving me mad. Making me broke.

13. Luckyphil

I would get the seal kit yourself and take it with you so no delay in waiting for parts.

14. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

Yep, exactly the same issue here, so I am very keen to get to the bottom of this... I have had the brakes apart 3 times.

touch brakes and squeak goes - (not bearings)
    pull E-brake slightly when travelling - no effect (so problem in front.)
    Confirmed rotors in good condition and plenty of meat on the pads.

Next will be take edges of pads and sand, and clean.
    also will apply anti squeak grease to pads.

I will report back asap.

15. skat66

skat66 Member

That is a good idea Phil, thanks. I will get this week.

Mish13 and Bensville, if you have any success let us know otherwise I wil tell you the outcome of work in Darwin end of next week or so.

Garry

16. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Mine is the exact same, i have new bearings in the front, I can only assume that my rod connecting the brake pedal to the booster could be too short, causing constant, tiny, pressure on the brakes because as soon as i hit the brakes it goes away and returns when i take my foot off.

17. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

I'd say thats a long shot... I cant imagine the brake pedal shortening over time. This would be doing this straight out of the factory then.

18. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

I have just replaced my booster, so unsure if I put it back correctly.

19. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

^^.... the length of travel of the actuating rod is adjustable. Essential that the length is the same as the old one when replacing......
    Cheers, Mark

20. Bensville

Bensville Active Member

Ahh interesting. thats one more thing to add to the complexity of the problem.... thanks for the clarification.