1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canberra to Brisbane with any luck!

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by DunnoDub, Sep 10, 2013.

1. DunnoDub

DunnoDub Member

Hi KC'ers,

I've booked a one-way flight to Canberra for Friday afternoon and all going to plan i'll be driving my 'new' wheels back to Brisbane this weekend!

Please feel free to provide any helpful advice on the route and anything else for a fairly novice aircooled owner.

I recently did the drive from Sydney to Brisbane up the coast and loved it (albeit in a 6 berth motorhome:wtf:), but thought about the inland via Dubbo route, although it looks a little bit lonely if i need any help... I guess help can be a little hard to find on a weekend anyway...

If anyone is around and may be able to help with some friendly advice if i am passing through or need assistance nearby that would be much appreciated. I'll probably stay in Canberra the night and hit the road early on Saturday methinks...

Will take a few pics and maybe post along the way if i get the chance, or when i get back if not.

Feel free to post something useful - or simply words of encouragement that i'm doing the right thing and will cruise home with no dramas :)

cheers and looking forward to being a dubless dude no more!!

Jon

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Good luck Jon. Personally, I would go the coast way as there is more help if you need it. Hopefully, you wont need any help.
    Is it a camper? Make surre you take a sleeping bag or something so you can sleep in your kombi on it's maiden voyage.

3. milly

milly Well-Known Member

As soon as you purchase the sweet ride call up NRMA or RACQ I think they call it in Qld and purchase road service, pay the little extra and get premium cover, that way for around $180/$200 bucks you will be covered if she Poops herself, they will cover you for rental car, accomadation and get your ride home no worries.;)

Good luck brother

Steve

4. REB

REB Member

Make sure you join road service before hand otherwise you will pay a premium ,because youll be paying twice that in the first couple of days if you break down
    there is a minimum amount of time you have to join to use service at the regular rate

5. melissa

I think it is 2 days before that you need to have it covered.

6. DunnoDub

DunnoDub Member

Cheers folks,

Not a camper Melissa, but may well pack the sleeping bag just in case :)

I have RACQ Membership in QLD, wouldn't live without it, will have to call them tomorrow and make sure i have all the bells and whistles (not that i'll need them all of course...:))

7. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Just dont stop near port macquarie - dubious people hang out in the rest stops there :eek:

Keep the speed down - I travel between 80 and 100kms/hr
    much better fuel economy and the engine runs cooler.
    You get to enjoy the scenery as well.

If driving through sydney - along the M7 you will need to organise to pay the toll www.roam.com.au/

check the oil regularly - especially important as you dont know the state of the engine. (youll get an idea pretty quickly if its using oil)

I dont know if you have had a chance to see the bus in the flesh but despite your expense of flying down and only have a one way ticket. Dont be affraid to pull out of the deal if your not happy with the van in flesh.
    better to spend some money on a plan ticket home than to buy something your not hapy with - Im sure the Kombi will be just want you want but just incase its not.....

when your getting close to Goulburn give me a call 0428 859 776 and Ill meet up with you and buy you a coffee to energise you for the trip home.

Bernie

8. kombivan

kombivan New Member

If you choose the inland way take some matches so you can light it up for your rescue fire :lol:

9. kombivan

kombivan New Member

Try not to speed the police are everywhere :lol:

10. melissa

Thats really not funny :umm:

11. kombivan

kombivan New Member

If you break down in the Booti Booti National park my number is 65548584. and NRMA road service is 131111.
    if you need VW expert Taree has Cundletown auto 65525115 also there is Jarrah Auto 65523190 he is also a nice guy and don't go near the guy in Tuncurry. It would be cheaper to get your bus towed from Tuncurry to Taree than going to the tuncurry repairer. I have done this and not looked back. even had one towed from green point past the tuncurry guy to taree and would do it again.

12. kombivan

kombivan New Member

One other thing as soon as you get it do an oil change so you have good oil for the trip cause your looking at a 1200k trip at least. Use the same type of oil as well.

13. kombivan

kombivan New Member

Also once you have paid for it ask them what is wrong with it they might tell you somthing you need to know.

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Having some time out, and I thought I'd log in and see what's going on..........

Example above of so much drivel expressed in multiple consectutive posts, and not just this thread.

FFS, AND for the sake of the rest of the KC community, BIll, can you please just edit each first post you make in each thread, and just contain your often inaccurate drivel to just the one post?

It will just make reading the KC forums much easier for everyone.......

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Hey Jon,

Bummer I'm not home.as I would have picked you up from the airport, fed and watered you, given you a bed, and delivered you to your new ride.:cry:

But alas, I'm off on a break in Bali until end of next week......soaking up some serenity.

Sorry about the last post, and possible hijack of your thread, but it seems the example is all too common across KC of late, and I trust this will change, rather than create even more work for the mod team that already have enough to do...

Safe travels on your return journey! :)

16. phantom

phantom Member

Good luck with the trip, what car are you taking away from Canberra? I would probably stick to the coastal route as noted above, due to closeness of population.

One note, having top membership in an auto club does not always help when interstate - membership does, but the classes don't always correspond. I have top membership with RACQ currently but many benefits are not recognised / don't carry over when using the NRMA, so don't assume you will automatically get hire car / accommodation / longer towing. You do obviously get basic breakdown and towing, etc, definately need to have that, if you get others at the time its a bonus, but not a given.

I agree with the others, take the trip slowly, and take photo's as you go. Enjoy!

17. Ted2

Ted2 Active Member

Did the same trip late last year in a 74 bay. We chose the coastal route and did it over a lazy 3 days (2 nights). Night 1 stay was Central Coast with relatives. Night 2 was Corindi Beach Holiday Park which is a great spot. It's a pretty scenic run so take lots of pics or strap a video camera to the dash. As your bus is relatively unknown to you, watch your fuel consumption and where the next petrol station is. The Canberra to Sydney leg is a bit sparse for petrol stations - couple of large road house style with Maccas/Hungry Jacks. Enjoy the ride.

18. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

When I joined RACQ ultracare there was a 7 day waiting period until the ultracare benefits (towing, taxi, accom etc) came into action. Lucky we didn't break down (just the clutch cable) until the 9th day.

Hope you enjoy the trip and you new bus, all the best! Cheers, Paul

19. DunnoDub

DunnoDub Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice.

It would have been great to catch up and check out your sweet fleet of T3's Grantus, another time perhaps!

I'll definitely give you a call Bernie, i'll be needing a coffee by then, although it might be pretty early if I hit the road when I should! :)

The beast in question is Johno's Lowlight and he is kindly meeting me at the airport, so all good there. :) I think he's a little worried about the crazy bloke flying down from Queensland to take off in his kombi but here's hoping it pans out for both of us...

I looked into the RACQ Ultimate and with the 72 hour waiting period from updating car details I don't think it will be worthwhile - i'll be home safe and sound by then!!

I would love to have another day up my sleeve but back to the grind on Monday.

Don't forget a toot and a wave at the '69 Lowlight passing by :cool:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  20. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good luck.

have a chat with him re anything to watch out for .

Except for the sydney part I would agree with others that up the coast is better populated with help if you need it.

Roads are getting better with all the bypasses

cheers
    col