1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carbie fuel line connection problem.

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by jae, Oct 8, 2009.

1. jae

jae New Member

So long story short the fuel line popped off one of the carbies while i was on the road tonight and sprayed petrol over everything. No fire and everything seems to have survived, panic subsiding.

So my issue is that the small brass tube that the fuel line clamps to on the carb has come loose from it's housing. It was still held in the fuel line by the small hose clamp. I pushed it back in and it seems to have seated alright but i'm quite concerned that it will fall out again. Is there anyway of fixing that brass tube in there? Should i try to pinch it in there with a gentle tap or maybe some sort of glue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Put a hose clamp on the fuel line and wire around the clamp and to the carby.
    Maybe rough up the tube and refit so that it is more secure in the carby body also.

3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

I think if i was you, i would purchase new fuel line and clamps and fit all new lines. You have just been warned, without any major prob.

4. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

jae,

Come over to my place at Everton Hills and I will run a "knurl" on the tube for you.
    This will help keep it tight in the carb.

Grahame

5. jae

jae New Member

How often should fuel lines be replaced? I don't did them about 2 maybe 3 years ago now, they seem alright, definitely better than the ones that were on there.

Grahame, that would be great but i don't want you to go to any trouble. Would the seal between the metals still be ok with the knurl there?

6. Alpal

Its a great offer, and a great solution. Do it!

7. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

Jae,

Has it leaked since my fix?

8. jae

jae New Member

Looks like it's holding well. Just like a new one. Thanks again for all your help Grahame, the high beams are still working too so i am one happy kombi driver.

9. Kombipete

Kombipete Member

use loctite to glue it into place, then with a hammer and punch, gently tap around the carb to 'press' it into place. Then reattach fuel line with clamp and as stated earlier, use wire to wrap around

10. Alpal

Belt and braces is better that a cooked Kombi!

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I agree use wire to them in.

12. jae

jae New Member

They have been knurled, locktited and wired in. Im pretty confident they're going to stay put.

13. Alpal

Have you been drinking doc? agree use wire to them in, or wire to them to use wire or?
    I understand thou because!

14. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member