CB Radios

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by BrianK, Dec 9, 2006.

1. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Hi peoples, just wondering how many of you have a cb radio in your kombi and are they any good or what. Been toying of the idea to get one put in bessie. Never had one ever, but just thought it might be a handy tool when you cant get mobile connection if you have a wee problem up the highway somewhere. Any advice greatly appreciated. Brand and model would also help, price also if known.

cheers brian and cathy

Come on guys, you are reading but not responding, how else will i know if good thing or not?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  2. 66van

66van New Member

I always have a 40 channel in the van and also keep a couple of hand held ones that you can get from places like super cheap. If we are a few cars going to the same place, I give out the hand helds so we can talk car to car. Did use them one year at Valla but the local SES were saying it was their channel and were getting the xxxx.Also good in traffic as the trucks keep you informed about jams and accidents etc.,

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  3. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

thanks for that 66van. bribie. love the place. nice little shop there some where has good chips and better milk shake. Done next to beach some where.

cheers brian and cathy

4. pod

pod Member

yep have one in my caravelle,but then again ive always had one in whichever car ive had for the last 20 odd yrs,get a uhf one as they are clearer and better for use in convoy than the old am sets of yesteryear,plus thats what all the trucks use these days, and the truckie channel is usually channel 40 :D

5. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Uhf Only

G'day,
    I have a UHF 40 ch. It is the only CB worth having. Ch 40 is the highway channel and some campervans/caravaners sit on 18. The old CB radios ie 27meg. are not worth having as kids play music across every channel. The UHF is the one used in emergencies and you will see regional road signs telling you what channel to sit on in case of emergencies like bushfires etc. The truckies (particularly the road trains) on Ch. 40 appreciate being talked around a slow kombi. Plus you get to find out where the "FLASH FOR CASH (speed cameras) are located. It is great to pass another kombi on the open road and have a quick chat on the radio too. But the UHF radio comes into its own when you have a convoy. It means the whole convoy can communicate to each other for obvious advantages. If people havent got one and are intending to do a convoy then I would suggest buying a hand held 40 ch. UHF. They are ok for a convoy situation (rechargable batteries a must). If installing a rig in your kombi make sure your antenna is uhf rated.

6. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I too fitted one to the Camper and is the first one that I ever have fitted. The one that I fitted was a 5W portable set mounted in a dash mount. Works fine and gives me the portability when I need to take it with me when fossicking etc. Picture shows how it is mounted.

[​IMG]

7. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

I think we should look at some of these for the Adelaide run to Canberrrrrrra.
    I see they are quite cheap on ebay.
    So what should we get, and we like cheap.

Dave

8. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Dave We Are Starting To Get Set Up , I Have Got A Uhf Radio In Susy Got An Electrophone , I Also Have Two Hand Helds And Frank Has At Least Two , Snow White Has Them , The Kids Used Them On The Aldinga Run And We All Had A Ball With Them Keeps The Kids Talking , And Amused , Great For Playing Eye Spy !!
    Hand Helds Are Great For Cruising 3 Km Is The Max Thou . But I Got One Night From Windy Point To Pt Adelaide Using A Hand Held Just Depends On Weather Conditions . But Brian Go Uhf Dont Even Bother With 27 Mhz Now . I Can Talk To People Across To Yorke Pens From My Drive Way .
    DICK SMITH / JAYCAR HAVE THE HAND HELD ONES FOR 40 BUCKS THERE THE ONES TO GET AS LONG AS YOU KEEP GOOD BATTERYS IN SUPER FOR CONVOYS SAVES MOBILE PHONE BILLS

http://www.gme.net.au/land/uhf_cb_transceivers.php

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  9. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

dash is a great place for toys

[​IMG][/IMG]

we have the technology...beam me up scotty!

10. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Cam, can i ask what sort of distance coverage do you get?

thanks brian

11. ttmck

brian i get from the adelaide hills in belair to footy park clear as
    uhf is far clearer than the old 27meg cb

12. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Thanks for info tommy boy, what i am trying to sus out mate is what coverage re the ones fitted in bus against hand held type. I have seen el cheapo ones, which i will not get. Just trying to work out wether to get one installed or get uhf hand held with 15 ks signal distance. This type is on ebay for around $175.oo.

cheers brian

13. ttmck

brian i have a couple of hand held i got from evil bay payed 30 bucks for them there just great for convoy driving i just put the electrophone in susy as i just wanted the 12v connection and not have to replace batteries all the time but used the little hand helds on runs and there super mate
    kids love em

and we all know your the biggest kid of them all cheers happy xmas to you and cathy if i dont get round to talking before hand

14. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

uhf channels

As some of you will be new to UHF I thought a bit of info on the channel allocations would be of interest so here you go.

UHF CHANNEL GUIDE
    Channels:
    Channels 1 to 8 (and 31 to 3 are for repeaters. (these are sometimes called DUPLEX use)
    Each repeater needs a pair of channels to work.

When on channel 1 repeater, channel 31 is also used up, 2 uses 32 – and 3 uses 33 – etc.
    Avoid channels 31 to 38 for general use. If you are within range of a repeater, your voice could exceed 10,000sq km coverage and that repeater, could be made unusable – without your knowledge.

For general travelling use, we suggest the Repeater (REP) or Duplex (DUP) function be programmed permanently ‘ON’ at all times on channels 1 to 8.
    Please avoid transmitting on all the above channels – unless you choose to access a repeater.

Calling channel 11 (allocated in law) But not used.
    This channel is used to call another user who may be listening on the call channel (such as a friend). After contact you must move to another channel.
    Most country operators sit on other general use channels. Scanning all channels is more useful to find these other operators. Most people sit on the highway channel ch.40 then after making a contact they go to a lower channel to chat thus not interfering with ch40.

Channels 22 & 23 are signalling and telemetry channels only. No voice is allowed. (allocated in law)

Channel 40 is used by highway vehicles and trucks. (firmly established by tradition)

Channel 18 is used by caravans and campers. (by courteous agreement)

Channel 10 is for 4WDrivers which is becoming more popular and is recommended officially in national parks. (by courteous agreement)

Channel 5 is for emergency repeaters (allocated in law)
    (For locations please ask for a repeater list)

For other regions, scanning all channels is a far more effective way of locating other UHF users in an emergency.

General use channels are therefore 9 12 17 19 to 21 24 to 30 and 39.

Please note that major cities often have one channel that attracts rude and inconsiderate people but please do not judge your new UHF radio by these people.

Many regional areas will display roadside signs that will state what channel to sit on in case of emergency, ie bushfires etc.

Hope this is of use.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2006
  15. ttmck

cammo thats brilliant well done for posting that big gold star for you mate

16. brookie

brookie Guest

You are right Tom it is very good-have made it a "sticky" Cammo

17. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

radio language

There is no special language to learn when using a UHF radio. But sometimes when specific information needs to be told it is spelled out, ie street names. When spelling out a word on radio the NATO Phonetic Alphabet is used. learning this will help you understand any directions or instructions given to you over the airwaves.

A - Alpha
    B - Bravo
    C - Charlie
    D - Delta
    E - Echo
    F - Foxtrot
    G - Golf
    H - Hotel
    I - India
    J - Juliet
    K - Kilo
    L - Lima
    M - Mike
    N - November
    O - Oscar
    P - Papa
    Q - Quebec
    R - Romeo
    S - Sierra
    T - Tango
    U - Uniform
    V - Victor
    W - Whiskey
    X - X-ray
    Y - Yankee
    Z - Zulu

So the word [KOMBI] would be spellled out as ...
    Kilo, Oscar,Mike,Bravo,India.

Now you've got it. You can always copy this into a word doc then print it out and keep it near your radio to refresh your memory. Anyway must go I have to go to the LIMA,OSCAR, OSCAR.

18. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

What of channels 15 and 16. These are the two that we normally use in convoy and are general use channels as far as I can tell. They are usually very quiet.

19. *PB*

*PB* New Member

What about Radio's purchased in Singapore ? I heard they work really well!

PB

20. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

CB's

...just got to talk in a funny accent with the ones from Singapore apparently - kids had a load of fun on way home from lights last night (interpret "kids" liberally if you will - "geez I love camping".... say no more)