1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB Radios

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by BrianK, Dec 9, 2006.

1. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

From An Earlier Post Re The Omdi

Good luck and let us know what its like as I'm always interested!
    Regards,
    Cammo

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Got me Omdi now

cammo, have got my omdi hand held now. I dont know any thing about CB,s so all i can say it appears to be a pretty good little unit. I have heard some peoples chatting on some stations but i mainly got it for taking with us when go up the high ways. Im sure i will find out what to do when need be. The battery pack is a heavy little thing. It fits nicely in the hand, looks good.

cheers brian

3. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Well done

Chan. 40 is the highway ch. Truckies etc. You can find out where the flash for cash - speed cameras are ha! Usually when there is a convoy they pick a ch. and everyone stays on that. When I went over to South Australia all the KC ers there sat on Ch. 18 by agreement when in a convoy. This worked well. Good luck with your new toy.

4. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

A cheap little handheld uhf

I need all the help I can get when I am reversing with the trailer on. You know what its like. So I got my partner [dunegirl] a little hand held 40 ch UHF radio so she can tell me I'm a Nong over the cammokombis UHF radio. It works well. The best thing was I only had to buy one unit not a pack of two. I got it from supa-cheap auto for only $19 Not bad in anyones books! For what I want it for it is perfect.

5. JHB88

JHB88 Member

Same here Cammo but I got a twin pack.

This post inspired me to buy them.

We'll see how they go in the convoy for Dubs at the Pub next week but should be good for camping to call the kids for lunch etc.

If they don't pan out, I have been pricing some Uniden units for one to fit into the kombi - I actually have a hole in the roof above the cabin which I was going to fill in but I now figure it might have been for an aerial (?).

6. minus-1

minus-1 Member

mmm

hey is someone on my channel? you nearly woke me up feels like someone keeps poking me in the back
    i thought the emergency channel was 19, what sort of repeaters zzzz
    yeah ive got one in my cab, also got one in a surplus disused fuz mine box in an orange trailer... I hear there are some chicks on channels 9 til 18 (bouncer clears the throat) are we alowed to make our own repeaters.
    I rekon we should have a home made repeater competition, all we need is a judge

7. minus-1

minus-1 Member

Iv'e got some spare channels if you need them_

These are the radio frequencies of your 40 channel uhf radios.Basically you could say that you are using the range of 477Mhz There are some Singapore walkie talkies that are set for the 446MHz range. Commonly used in that region. As you can see the channels will not match up. If these units are direct imports they are set at this frequency range. I am not sure if these frequencies are legal to use in Australia. But if you do use them, well, er - um - stay away from USA military instalations. (grin) They monitor and use this frequency range. As the radios are low transmission range units I wouldn't be too concerned.[/QUOTE]

8. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Just a reminder

Just a reminder that after a couple of KC cruises in S.A. and Vic it would appear that K.C. has adopted chanel 18 UHF as its unoficial chat chanel when on convoys and cruises. So put out a call to Kombis with antennas! Ch. 18.

9. minus-1

minus-1 Member

Repeater...

Yeah about that Cb Repeater comp, I managed to get hold of Stokholm, apparently it's in Sweden, I was driving up the A140 to Norwich in Norfolk. I'm not sure how far that is, if I put my bus end to end it would probably be the equivalent of being able to hear you lot think on the other side of the world.

Nice invisible Rainbow Cosmic Card Kamo. I catch your bus about two thirds of the way over... then it disapears. Always goes anticlockwise and the trailer is missing.

Can you own a piece of Background noise, I'm not sure how the government can legitamatly account for it.

Currently listening to Can.

How about starting a 'Background Noise Cosmin Card Trailer Club'?

10. Hi

Hi thinking of buy a cb but dont no much about them could some one give me a price range and a good one u reckon like brand wise if so it would be great help.
    thanks jai

11. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

jai, there are heaps of cb on the market. just depends if you want hand held or fitted to vehicle one. What price you want to pay and what you plan to use it for. i got hand held for 190 bucks and only used it one weekend thus far. so just need to work out your best way to go. there are cheapies out there that you can use in convoy etc. good hunting for the right one.

cheers brian

12. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Try here

You need a UHF radio. 40 channel.
    If you go for an in car unit about $350 is a good price. You can pick up cheap hand helds for half that price down to 20 dollars. Depends how reliable you want it to be.
    Try this site as it is your area. Use the webshop area to look up prices.
    http://ozgear.com.au/aweb/index.php
    Regards,
    Cammo

13. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

14. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Uniden = good brand

Not tried a hand held Uniden but have had Uniden in car units in the past and I have always found them reliable.
    Regards,
    Cammo.

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The UHF should be OK, but what about the GPS function?

16. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

dont know it

I dont know anything about that sub function in the handheld. Only the in car units. Find out if you can download maps for it etc. Or is it only a generalised function? Sorry cant be more helpful but i have no experience with that particular unit.
    regards,
    cammo.

17. Jeff Nuske

Jeff Nuske New Member

CB radio in Kombi

The only CB radio to consider is the 40channel UHF radio. The max size that can be used is the 5 watt set either built in or as a hand held. The inbuilt set with a good quality aerial will give line of sight up to 15kms or more. The hand held sets only have a small aerial and even with 5 watts will have less range.
    With the 40 channel UHF set there are channels allocated for use with local repeater stations that greatly increase the range of a UHF set.
    A good quality hand held set is the ICOM IC-40S not cheap but really good quality and easy to use. Do not muck around with the cheap low wattage sets they are poor quality and very limited range. E bay is the place to pick up a good ICOM set.
    Jeff

18. Littleozzybloke

Littleozzybloke New Member

dunno bout all this new stuff...not much can beat the old cb radio 'sideband model'..it can go around the corner or to the other side of the planet...been using it since the pirate days....the uhf sets i tried seemed limited in distance..:cool:

19. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

I picked up a set of 4 Uniden handheld sets for $69 a couple of weeks ago from Australia Post (less my 10% staff discount, of course :)). We don't stock them anymore but you might find some in a quieter store.

They're only low power and run on 3 x AAA batteries each but have 40 channels and 3km range. However, they come in very handy on match days/nights at the soccer grounds - save a lot of running backwards and forwards or ringing other Committee members on mobiles. The big test will be this Saturday at the semi-finals as I try to co-ordinate parking...! :)

Cheers,

Baz

20. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

just make sure the bats are charged baz.

cheers brian :)