1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB Radios

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by BrianK, Dec 9, 2006.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Yeah, supposed to get 30 hours out of them but that's based on 1 hour's talking and the rest on standby. Keeping the kids away from them is the hard part!

2. JAGS

JAGS New Member

Hi Guys,
    Just got onto this thread, If you need a good price on a Uniden UHF or GPS unit let me know and I will get you a price from work as we are a dealer for Uniden plus many other brands. Uniden is a great product and offer really good back-up if you ever have a problem.

Check out www.uniden.com.au to see all their products and email me if you want a price on anything, can post anywhere around Australia once paid for.
    Regards, John (JAGS)

3. wandering minstrels

wandering minstrels New Member

Ch 18 is also "unofficially" the caravan channel. Ch 20 is reccommended for use by the CMCA (Caravan amd Motorhome Club), and Ch 10 is a 4WD use channel. I am in the process of buying a new radio to go into the T4 and this time will definitely have scanning, so I can let the radio scroll the different channels for me. Now there's only the amateur stuff to consider...

4. MattB

MattB New Member

I've been looking at getting a UHF for a while, the problem is figuring out what type I want (need), then what features and then a good price :p Ideally I think I'd prefer an under-dash style unit but I'm a bit apprehensive about install another aerial.

A quick question, the ones with 'scanning' features are able to listen to all (or a group of) channels aren't they? Then you have to pick the channel to reply. Or am I confused?

5. wandering minstrels

No Matt you are not confused. Scan is either open scan (scans all 40 in sequence) or group scan (you program a group of channels which the radio scans). They usually stop on a busy channel and if you want to reply you merely hit the key. There is probably a lot more detail I can go into but that's it in a nutshell. Style is up to you. There are some very good (and small) radios on the market nowadays, and you just have to weigh uo what feature you want. I am currently tossing up between the GME TX 3220 and the 3420 - edssentially the same radio, with the 3420 having a few more features (and a lot more $!) and a remote head mount. Still uncertain. A lot will depend on what the leader of the opposition allows me to spend :). I hope I've been able to help. Any more questions just ask. BTW, I used to wotk with radios (digital, analogue, HF telephony etc).

6. MattB

MattB New Member

Thanks for that, you've been a great help :) The main reason I don't want a hand held is batteries :p I know I'd either forget to charge them, or bring them at all - which would make the radio pretty pointless. Then again the under-dash units do seem to be quite a bit more expensive.

Are there hand held units out there that can scan? That's one feature I'm pretty sure I want :p

7. wandering minstrels

Most of the Handies do scan nowadays - I have an old Uniden, runs on 3 AA's with open and group scan. Has been pretty reliable over the years, and still goes in spite of me! I have been looking here as they are doing some pretty impressive packages including freight and an antenna. That said, you can pick up some very cheap hand helds from Super Cheap, Autobarn, Dick Smiths etc. which will do an adequate job. I am looking tfor a car mounted radio as I still do some outback touring and want the full 5W power output and all the extra things. And yes, scan is a good thing. That is one of the main reasons I am not putting my old Commex back in the new car.
    Terry

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

I run a 5W GME handheld (TX6200 I think). It fits in to cradle on the dash and charges through the external antenna and keeps it fully charged. It has proven itself both as a handheld and an in vehicle radio. The beauty is that I can use it in any vehicle for the cost of another cradle and antenna or as a handheld with a bit of power.

9. MattB

MattB New Member

Thanks again Terry, I'll have a look at that link and see if anything catches my eye :p I hadn't considered a cheap handheld but will look into them too :)

10. MattB

MattB New Member

That sounds good, another thing to add to the list to look up :p Thanks.

11. wandering minstrels

Man, there are just too many things on that site which catch my eye!

12. So Rude

So Rude New Member

Hi

Just finished installing my UHF radio today. I was lucky enough to get an Oricom UHF 080 for xmas (http://www.oricom.com.au/two-way-radios/uhf080-uhf-5watt-cb-radio-in-vehicle.html).

Easy to install, comes with everything and I just wired it to a relay I installed.

Most interesting part was the old wiring I found that must have been used for some spot lights that obvious didn't work (installed by the previous owner many years ago). I ended up removing more wiring than I installed today : )

13. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Just charging up the hand helds ready for next week. Ch 18.:lol:

14. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Don't you have to have hair, to be a "Grey Nomad"? :p

15. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

:lol: :D :lol: :D

16. Marty

Marty Active Member

17. Marty

Marty Active Member

Thought I'd add also, have been using the IC-400pro for a while now and it's been fantastic.

18. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

I have a uniden uhf with a high gain antenna, but am told its quiet when talking, spoke with uniden they couldn't explain it, have a few uniden hand held UHFs they are clear but upon testing my in car with the hand held I concur its quiet, anyone have any ideas why?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  19. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

Spoke with someone of sense at uniden told me how to factory reset the unit... still no good... has no one a clue?

20. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

G'day all,
    Just want to tell you about my UHF CB setup.
    I have had the GME TX 3450 since 2007 and have installed it in a 2007 Nissan Navara, 2011 Mazda 3 and it is now going into my 76 Kombi.

http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-communications/uhf-477mhz-cb-radios/TX3540

THE TX3450 has all the controls on the mic, this allows for remote installation of the brain box out of the way.

In all 3 on the above vehicles I have mounted the brain box above my head between the headliner and the roof with the speaker facing down so I can hear it.

The kit comes with a mic extension cable and adapter so you can run the cable down to somewhere convenient in the cab and plug-in the mic when you need to use it or un-plug it and stash it way when you don't need it.
    In my vehicles I have modified the extension by cutting off the RJ45 plug and bought a RJ45 socket and cap from Jaycar (about $30) and drilled a hole in the console to mount the socket.
    When not in use I un-plug the mic and put the cap on the socket to keep out the dust and you would not know I had one installed.

The unit can be fitted with an external speaker and can be programmed for additional frequencies and has a 3 year warranty.

They are not the cheapest units ($450 mark), however, the quality and versatility is fantastic.
    This is my second GME CB, the first I bought in 1996 and I only replaced that unit because I could not mount it in the new Nissan.

On both the Nissan and Mazda 3 I also installed a "Glass Mount" antenna, they work fine and look like mobile phone antennas so they don't stand out too much ($90 with a long and short antenna include).

The range of the antenna is generally 10km+, but across the Hay Plain I have had contacts 30+km away.

Give me a hoy if you want any additional detail.

I have pics, but I haven't learned how to include them yet :)