CB Radios

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by BrianK, Dec 9, 2006.

1. kombi-man

kombi-man Member

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Im sure us guys doing the paddock run will have one. we have 2 hand held ones.

3. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Hi all advice required - I have decided to transfer my old school CB radio ariel from a flat magnetic base to a gutter mount but cannot work out where and how the centre (inner) copper wire gets connected to the inside of the base - I know it is soldered but not sure if at the entry to the brass thingy or up and through at the top ?? And how much of the shield needs to be cut off ? I know how and where the braided bit gets Earthed . Must be the only thing on U tube that doesn't go into how to ... image.jpeg image.jpeg

Any help would be appreciated

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Can you dismantle it more? I need to know if the top and bottom of the brass threaded piece is electrically connected.

5. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Does the brass threaded shaft come out of the rubber insulator? I am thinking that the brass threaded shaft is actually two separate pieces of brass with a white nylon insulator glued in the middle.

Is this for a UHF or very old 27mhz radio?

bagman likes this.
  7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

What you do is strip the outer sheath of the coax down around 30mm. Pull the mesh screen back over the outer sheath and then strip the last 10 mm of the end of the coax to expose the centre conductor. Push the coax in through the bottom of the base until it stops. Twist the cable clockwise (or the base anti clockwise) so the mesh screen and outer sheath are engaged on the thread until the centre conductor is on the top of the base (the little hole) then solder the conductor in place. That centre brass assembly is in 2 pieces with an insulator.

Bear in mind they are rough measurements and you might want to have a few goes to get it right, but at the end if you have a multimeter you should not show a circuit between the top and the outer screen of the coax (if you show less than 50 ohms, try again. Higher the better.

Both 27Meg and UHF use the same unit.

Adrian

bagman, syncro and Grantus like this.
  8. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Yes it does - and yes old 27 MHz

9. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Ok thanks - I think the trouble is I am using the original CA cable and it keeps breaking before I can solder it - so I am going to try a fresh cable - will see how it goes .

10. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, get some good quality 50 ohm coax from Jaycar or similar, Belden is one of the better brands but jaycar may not have it. Age and exposure does cause issues with the older cable.

Adrian

syncro likes this.