1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Centre steering pin

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by SurfWagen, Aug 28, 2020.

1. SurfWagen

SurfWagen Member

HI everyone, hopefully brains trust can give me some insight. I have a spare front beam that i'm contemplating putting back in, do i need any specific tools to change the centre steering pin and also are adjusters the only way to lift the front of a bus?

2. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

You will require a reamer to ream new bushes once installed if they are brass, I think later ones have a join and no reamer required as they are made from steel

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You get new bushes when you get the centre pin and you don't need to rim them any more,in the book it tells you,that you need to ream them. Even on JK website mentions that you don't need to.As mentioned above the way they are made know

grumble likes this.
  4. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Bushes you need to ream are semi finished. The ones you don't need to finish are not as good or tight fitting as the semi finished ones (which you probably can't get any more).
    If I ever need them I would machine them, fit them, then finish them to the pin (old skool)

David H likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Has the front been lowered and you want it returned to standard height or is it standard and you want it raised aka Baja style?
    Are there adjusters on there already? If there are then the range of adjustment will be somewhat dependent on the position in which they were installed.

Bit of a discussion here - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=431235

6. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

If you want to ream them I still have a spare set of new bushes.

7. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

there is 3 usual ways of lifting the front of kombi...adjusters, box the chassis and extending plates on the beam...not much gain with adjusters

8. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

lookup "bajakombi"