1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Champagne Edition 11

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Craig, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Craig

Craig Member

I have a 1978 Champagne Edition 11 Westfalia and I would like to know how many of these buses are in Australia. They where an end of line edition before the factory shut down in Hanover and only exported to the U.S.A. IF anyone knows any information regarding these buses would be great I know something about then but there isn’t a lot out there. It would be good knowing how many made. I have the berth certificate for her which has some codes on it. Also if there are any parts for the interior around would be good to know as everything is brown. I will post photos later on once I work out how to. Cheers All

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome Craig to the Kombi Club. All I know about Westfalias in Aus is rare as rare as rare which would make the champagne edition rarer....maybe you have the only one;).
    Cheers

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Kombi Club Craig. :)

Curious as to which “factory shut down” that you refer to? o_O

VW in Hannover is still producing the transporters today, and Westfalia, in Rheda-Wiedenbrück, didn’t get bought out until 1999.

Feel free, to post up the birth certificate and VIN, if you want to know some history on the vehicle. ;)

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Craig, welcome to the party that never ends:cool:

The Samba may have some further information :rolleyes:

Posting pictures - size limited to 1MB ...... if using a digital camera set it VGA then up load to your computer - in the lower right hand corner when you are doing a post is a icon "Upload a File" and use this to choose the picture you want then Full Image to post ..... if using your mobile phone then others will need to help you out ;)

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Craig. The only things I know about Champagne Editions were they were brown with funky stripes down low along each side and had chrome bumpers. You don't say whether yours is LHD or RHD.

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Easiest from a phone is to take a photo and then view it on screen.
    Then take a screenshot, crop it and then save.
    Then load.

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I know people who had Champagne Edition 1303’s

8. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Any westfalia thats made its way to australia is rare car.
    We did our own camper versions over here that suited our country.
    There was a large artical about them in one of the old u.k vw camper mags a few years ago.
    Ive atrached a posting on www.thesamba.com vw forums in u.s.a. which has plenty of info on them if you search for it there.
    They did bring out a few other models in that limited edition. I love the chocolate brown microbus with groovy side stripes. 26.jpg .

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636023&highlight=champagne edition

Syncro27, Wayne murray and David H like this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome Craig to the KC. As mentioned I don't know of any other champagne edition in Australia. It is very difficult to find the brown padded parts overseas on Samba site :rolleyes: as mentioned above. There are like the pot of gold at the end of a Rainbow ,if you find it you may have a champagne and glass to celebrate your find. Enjoy your ride wherever it takes you.

David H and Poptop like this.
  10. Craig

Craig Member

Hi all, Thanks for the welcome. I will try to upload a photo of my bus however a monkey will have a better chance. The photo that 77/Kombi/surfer sent is the same has mine. She is totally original and unmolested. It has the ge 2lt fuel injection and LHD they only went to Canada and USA. Westfalia never got sent to oz. What I know about the Champagne is that 1977 was the first ones and they where the transporter types that where reddy brown colour with those lines [Millissa]. However they had the normal black dash I think that’s how you tell it’s a 1977. They made no camper for the 1977 Champagne. In 1978 they did the same special edition with the transporter reddy/brown with lines however this time they did the brown dash everything is brown wheel, indicator, mirror, gear nob, carpet in the back the friggen lot. This time they made the camper from Westfalia [Berlin Layout] with different paint, agate brown/atlas white. I don’t think there was a 1979 Champagne. They did these for the end of line which ended in 1979 anything after that is not Germen. After that 1971-1994 Mexico, 1976-End of 2013 Brazil then 1981-1986 Argentina. That’s for type 11. I can’t remember regarding Melbourne. Anyways if anyone is in Brisbane drop by.

Wayne murray likes this.
  11. David H

Looks like you've got the only one in Australia:D. Wow....gee...golly...I'm impressed:). More so with GE fuel injection:D:D:D:D:D!!!!! Love it.
    Photos need to be under 1mb.
    Cheers

12. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

13. David H

Doesn't count;). Not a Westfalia & def not in Aus. But gee they look great:cool:. That 2 tone stripe works for me.
    Cheers

bagman likes this.
  14. bagman

bagman Well-Known Member

Top one is in Australia and in my hand .

TeeBee likes this.
  15. 77/kombi/surfer

And you missed the factory sliding sunroof David, now thats even rarer....

16. David H

Amazing how you got them to look the same size:). Your photoshop skills are to be admired;).
    Cheers

17. David H

That I did:(.
    Cheers

18. 77/kombi/surfer

Hard to find any parts craig in oz if you missing stuff from the interior.
    Luckily theres a u.k company that pretty much repos most stuff. Ill attach there web page for you to ponder over if needed. Cheers
    https://nlavw.com

19. Craig

Craig Member

I’m all good for the interior it’s good to know just in case. The back camper and everything else you can still get it’s just the brown dash bits. Had a look at that web.site thanks. One thing would be the gas bottle that’s underneath would be good to get which is available in USA however it will be a fortune to get over and fit. Unless there’s one in oz. I reckon Queensland gas regs wouldn’t allow you to do it.

20. Craig

Craig Member

Hi just downloaded photos of my 78 Bus.
    21867AA1-8A44-459F-A3F8-99E08A3463AF.jpeg

48DFA68A-E687-4C10-9F95-E2A96AD1171C.jpeg

6B54AB2E-96EF-4641-B5F1-06F41CECB2D8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
    bagman, Syncro27, melissa and 7 others like this.