Cheap,easy in-line fuel tap

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by oldman, Jul 7, 2010.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

I've finally sourced a good quality, in-line fuel tap & thought I'd post KC to show the results.
    It always worried me that I couldn't shut off the fuel supply whenever I wanted to changed a filter or work on the engine. With a full-ish tank of fuel, there's quite a head of pressure in the fuel lines & whenever I disconnected a fuel line, I inevitably had fuel running everywhere. I've not wanted to crush the fuel line with vise grips, for fear of damaging the line permanently & driving something up the bore might put rubbish in the line.......so, after a lot of searching, I found this solution. It's cheap, easy & quick to install. It took about 20 minutes start to finish once I had my tools sorted out & a plan of attack in mind.

[​IMG]
    This is the fuel tap - cost -$ 22.00.

[​IMG]

These are the tools I used: 2 x small hose clamps,1 x blade screwdriver,(to suit clamps),1 x "quick-clamp",1 x pair of good quality side-cutters.
    First, I disconnected the battery - just in case.... Then I clamped of the fuel line about 2-3 inches from the fuel tank using the "quick-clamp".I used this type of clamp as they have a large surface area for clamping pressure so less likely to damage the fuel line:

[​IMG]

Then, using the side-cutters-(& holding my breath that the quick-clamp worked)-cut the fuel line.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. oldman

Happy days ! No leaks once the fuel tap was put in place & the quick-clamp released:

[​IMG]

Next, I placed the hose clamp over the engine side fuel line, pushed the other side of the fuel tap in place, tightened everything up & checked for leaks.

[​IMG]

Once I was sure everything was sealed up OK, I backed the hose clamps off a little & rotated the fuel tap so that the lever was upper-most.

[​IMG]

Now with the fuel shut off, I positioned an in-line fuel filter out of the engine bay & away from any control cables & heater tubes. Once connected, I turned on the fuel & checked for leaks....again - there weren't any.

[​IMG]

Just a couple of tips: If you use this type of fuel tap, you'll find it really hard to remove once it's in place.The "barbs" on each side really hang on, so measure twice, cut once. I snipped off about 2-3 inches of fuel line to accommodate the fuel tap body length - this allows for a "natural" curve, below the fuel tank. I did the same to allow for the in-line filter. If you don't allow for the tap body/fuel filter, you'll end up with excess fuel line hanging on control cables, heater tubes,gearbox etc. With regular driving, the friction could cause a breech in the fuel line. (But at least you could turn the fuel off now!)

Now where to get these fuel taps. Go on-line & search for " Gaspares.com.au " This company is a wholesale supplier to the lawnmower maintenance industry. Once you find their website,click on your state & you'll get a toll free number to ring.When you ring that number the person will ask you for your postcode -they will then advise you of the nearest outlet that they supply.
    Contact the outlet & tell them you want a:

PTC 6291 Universal, metal in-line petrol tap with 1/4 inch barbs.

Their barcode for the tap is : 9 316596038381

They should only cost $ 22.00 or so, depending on the dealer. When I spoke to Gaspares they told me that they do not supply the general public & wouldn't sell direct, hence the postcode requirement.

If you're in NSW : Gaspares 'phone number is 1300 363005

Anyway, if I've helped at least one other KC member with this post - it's all been worthwhile.

Cheers, Mark

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    clarki63 and Grantus like this.
  3. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Mark,
    Briilant, thinking ouside the box mate. It is the safety side of it, you could save a life with is idea. I'm in........
    I work on a Oil and Gas platform and we isolate every thing before we do any work.

4. oldman

Cheers Rossco, yeah simple but borne out of necessity. I was working under the bus a month ago when a part of the fuel line came away & had no way to shut off the flow of fuel. I'm under the bus trying to squeeze old dry fuel line shut with my fingers to stop it leaking, while screaming at my son to get the hell away.
    ( Battery still connected) :eek: After that incident I knew I had to come up with something & this is the end result.
    Cheers, Mark

5. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

A lesson learnt hey, I'm definitley putting one in....worth a Sticky for Safety mate.

6. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

excellent mark

mark
    great work

I will look into this

paul

7. Just Corey

Just Corey New Member

brilliant mark. I'm about to pull a fuel tank out and will be looking into doing this.

really well documented. well worth a sticky.

8. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Mark,

Great work. As anyone who has removed a kombi engine will know - having a bath in fuel is not very nice. Tried that myself before changing tack.

I had one of those types of clamps on my fuel line for a month and when I released it the fuel line stayed squashed. Took some kneeding before the fuel line went back to shape.

Your idea of the in-line fuel tap is excellent. I will be looking for one of those shortly.

Cheers,

9. geoff62sw

geoff62sw Member

Great Idea there Mark.....
    Could also be a good steel stopper too
    Stop your van from been driven a way............

cheers
    geoff :D

10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Have experienced the petrol bath also and my mate old dubber said I should put a tap on the fuel tank outlet to stop it happening should the need arise to drop the engine again or change fuel filter.

Well done Mark on this one :p

11. Misabi

Misabi Member

Thanks Mark, great sticky.
    I'll try and hunt one down :)

I was thinking of running a longer fuel line to the front of the bus, maybe under the driver side wheel arch, or just behind and putting the cut of tap there where it'd be easy to get to in an emergency.. or to use as a makeshift immobiliser :)

12. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Misabi, you'd be better off using an electric cut off valve (lpg fitters sell these) than running that much fuel line. You might just be increasing the fire/leak risk.

p.s. nice job Mark...

13. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

move the engine bay filter?

mark

I currently have the fuel filter inside the engine bay , would i move it or are u advocating putting in a 2nd one outside the engine bay?
    thx paul

14. oldman

Hey Paul, I chose to put the filter outside the engine bay, as I didn't like the idea of another potential fuel leak in an area where there is heat AND sparks, ( generator/dizzy ) :eek: Maybe I'm just over cautious, but there is a rather high incidence of kombis going up in smoke and I wanted to rule out the fuel filter as a contributing factor, that's all. Theoretically, if all connections are good, tinware/seals intact & the engine well maintained, there shouldn't be a problem, but we tend not to think there's ever going to be a problem though , don't we :eek:
    Just my thoughts, & I aint no mechanic, just cautious. It's worth reading the sticky on "Fireproofing your kombi". Cheers, Mark

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  15. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Thanks for this - I am going to install one of these valves. I have just replaced my fuel lines/filters and don't want to have to do it again without isolating the fuel tank - having petrol leaking out is dangerous and it stings the skin!

I removed the two fuel filters in the engine bay. I reckon removing two plastic fittings and four hose connections from inside the engine bay reduces the risk of fuel leaks/fires. They are not really necessary because the fuel is filtered before the fuel pump, but I guess there is a risk of contamination if the fuel pump fails - I might look into installing a second filter after the pump under the engine bay, just in case.

16. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Hi,

I installed this valve today. Rather than cutting into the old hose from the fuel tank I decided to drain the tank and replace the whole fuel hose - this was a good move because the old one was quite perished. I tried to use the original type cotton braided hose (the same as used from the fuel pump to the carbies) but this was too small for the 1/4" barbs on the valve and it damaged the braiding when I tried to push it on.

Therefore I used 1/4" rubber fuel hose from the tank to the filter and 5/16" rubber fuel hose from the filter to the pump. Although these are slightly different sizes to the original hoses and do not have the cotton braid, I think it is ok because it is on the suction side of the pump and is not exposed to the high temperatures in the engine bay.

I ran the fuel hose/filter above the starter to keep it out of the way rather that having it hanging down like the previous filter was. This was a bit tricky to access so I made the hose from the valve to the filter a bit longer than it needed to be, so the valve and filter can be moved back and forth a little to allow access to the hose clamps.

17. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Mark, great idea! I only wish I read it before my fuel tank flush...:umm:

I will be doing this asap.

18. Bongo Blue

Bongo Blue New Member

Mark thanks for the idea & advice i have to go over my DC shortly and replace fuel lines and wire and I will do this mod while I am there.

19. JonV2

JonV2 Member

Nice work. May I suggest you put a cable tie around the handle to keep it in place? This way vibration wont slowly work the tap around to the off position.

20. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Just picked my fuel tap up from my local lawnmower guy...

PTC6291 same as Mark's one. I'll wait until the fuel tank is on empty before fitting it. Low tech but very effective :cool: