1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap,easy in-line fuel tap

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by oldman, Jul 7, 2010.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

JonV2 - these taps are a really good build & won't vibrate shut - particularly given that they are suspended in the rubber fuel line - sort of acts like a shock absorber if you like. I don't think you'd need to zip-tie 'em, but each to his own.....I put the first one in over 18 months ago & it's the same as it was the day I installed it - fully open.
    A zip tie could also stop you quickly shutting off the fuel when you need to most, an engine fire , for example.
    Markus, be REALLY careful with empty fuel tanks - they're more dangerous & explosive than a full tank 'cause of the vapours.
    Cheers, Mark

2. trevendy

trevendy Member

If you had a engine fire i wouldn`t be under there trying to turn off a tap besides the rubber bit between the tap and tank will burn nicely anyway...

3. oldman

There's fires & then there's FIRES.......if it was a few flames from a dropped fuel line, use the fire extinguisher & then I know I can shut off the fuel in under 10 secs. Well worth a shot imo.
    However if the crankcase is alight.....nothing's gonna save it. Cheers, Mark

chris taylor likes this.
  4. leithbro

leithbro Member

Huh, I hadn't seen this thread but after having my fuel line leaking on my exhaust and sparkplugs the other day, I have been thinking about this. My only thought was that I'd prefer the shutoff to be bulkhead mounted, and then run a cable under the chassis up to the cavity next to the brake reservoir under the drivers seat. Attach a red handle here, and if you see smoke, pull said handle before you get out of the bus.

5. oldman

Hey Mark - valid consideration - I just wanted a cheap, easy & simple way of shutting off the fuel for changing filters, dropping engine etc. Cheers, Mark

6. Rosenrubes

Rosenrubes Member

That was a really easy to follow journey there mate. Confident I could do same now. Thanku !!!

7. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Like Misabi says:

Is your vehicle fitted with an engine immobilizer? Check.

Wonder would this lower your insurance premium...

8. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Good point, and I've wondered if my discreet switch that cuts power to the electric fuel pump, that is always switched off when parked anywhere, counts as an "immobiliser", in insurance circles....:rolleyes:

9. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Mark what size hoses did you use, it worries me to see Mellow Yellow using slightly oversized hoses , if it is slightly o/size it would have to tightened more and possibly damage the hose, what your thoughts, I am all for this as I believe it is a safety issue but I am concerned about the size of the tubes on the tap as against the size of the hoses ,

10. oldman

Hey Chris, internal bore size of the tap was identical to the fuel line......to be honest, I can't remember what I used but it was supplied as stock size hose, exiting the fuel tank.
    Matching Internal bore size is important so as not to restrict the fuel flow.....too big & there'll be clamping issues as you point out.
    Cheers,
    Mark

11. chris taylor

hi Mark you know I hadn't even thought of restrictive fuel flows or stuff like that .I think that the whole purpose of fitting a tap is not to turn it of when a fire occurs, { cos a sure as s#$@t I woudnt get under to turn it of} but to be able to fit new hoses safely without getting doused in fuel. And yes I will be looking towards fitting one as all the information supplied here seems to be positive in that direction.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  12. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Pisces likes this.
  13. chris taylor

Hey Mike ,This would be the ideal situation if it could be done but short of taking out the tank how would you do it ? To dangerous to drill holes in a tank under a van I would think.

14. splitbus

On Marks bus ( photo below ) it already has a screw in outlet, couldn't tell you if all kombi's are the same, don't think so

Attached Files:

15. splitbus

This is the spout fitting on the Kombi petrol tank, so you would need a tap with a female screw fitting, or a female to male fitting like this

Bottom photo maybe the go, as you need the long filter

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  16. oldman

My thread was based on the tap I put into my son's 71 lowy.
    I'd have to check mine - 76 - to see if they're the same.
    A direct petcock would def. be a better option Mike.
    Cheers,
    Mark

17. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

I use fittings like this on my motorcycles in order to quickly and safely remove fuel tanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-Quick...ol-Hose-Pipe-Connector-Shut-Off-/131319526438

Simple in-line fuel hose coupler allows quick and safe removal of petrol tank without fuel spillage. Each end of the coupler features a valve mechanism which permits fuel flow when the coupler is secured, but instantly isolates the fuel when the coupler is released.
    8mm fuel hose.

[​IMG]

18. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I ended up removing this valve because I found the hose was splitting where it went over the barbs - the barbs on the one I used (which looked exactly like the ones in the photos earlier) were really big and had sharp edges which cut into the tube.

I replaced it with a solenoid valve using a CB performance fuel tank outlet fitting and AN fittings from the tank, based on a thread on The Samba. But I couldn't get the fuel tank fitting to seal properly and when I removed it I found the o-ring was mangled, so I am back to running with no valve until I but another viton o ring and try again.

19. chris taylor

M Y 74 Looking at the photos you have posted I am not sure that they are suitable for this situation , it bothers me to know how easy it appeared to damage an o ring and had you not noticed it ,it could have led to a major problem, the tap with the on/ off handle seems to be a better option and may be easier to fit and being made of metal seems to be a bit more durable, although having said that I have not seen one to be able to judge correctly......C T

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  20. deger

deger Active Member

All of my motorcycles have used a simple fuel shut of tap. Can't these be used on the outlet? Identifying the thread pitch and size of the outlet would be required but doable I would have thought?