Cheap,easy in-line fuel tap

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by oldman, Jul 7, 2010.

1. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

…mmmm , curious….mine is still fine after 6 years of everyday driving plus long holiday runs……no splits, no leaks, no wear.
    Cheers,
    Mark

2. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

probably the fuel hose moreso than the barbs i would think.

oldman likes this.
  3. scottykels

scottykels New Member

I am so glad that I installed this Fuel Tap about 8 months ago. Last week I travelled to ULURU with the wife and kids and after a day of driving in 40 degree heat it was time to return to the camp ground for a swim. I stopped at the petrol station to fill up while petrol was cheap ($1.95 lt) and as I was about to start the engine, some nice fella let me know that I had a stream of petrol coming out the back of the bus. To say that i pooped my pants is an understatement. First things was to get the kids out of the car and to safety and then straight to the Fuel Tap to turn it off. Like clockwork, the fuel stopped and i was able to isolate the problem to the Vapour Lines and a dodgy 5cm piece of fuel hose. so a quick tow to the local mechanics and a new piece of fuel hose I was back on the road again.

Thanks for another great mod that is super easy to complete with limited skills.

p.s. dont overfill your tank cause it may happen to you... and don't overfill your tank when fuel is $1.95 lt too.

JaneC, melissa, cbus and 2 others like this.
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff Scott ! So glad it helped you and your family.
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi Scottykells, good to see that you have avoided a catastrophe with the van and more important the family is safe, but I would like to ask what grading of fuel line did you use to replace the broken one , it is great to fit a fuel tap as a lot of people have done BUT are you aware that the fuel lines being fitted do not always come up to specs regards modern day fuels, pressure and deterioration ,so many times I had to have my lines changed because the either leaked and or weeped fuel. I would recom..mend that you check out the benefits of fitting a fuel injection line such as an SAE J30 R9 which is a lot more resilient to modern day fuels and a lot higher in pressure rating and more tolerant to heat.

For your own imformation just type in fuel lines SAE 30 R9, then read all about them,
    Regards Chris

6. scottykels

scottykels New Member

Hey mate,

it was the fuel vapour line which isn't pressurised, so its just a piece of normal fuel hose which is all that was available in the middle of Australia. All the fuel lines were replaced and checked regularly but i did not know about the vapour lines. very lucky that nothing more serious happened. cheers for the advice on the fuel injection. will look into it.

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

The other simple lesson is do not overfill. When the pump clicks off, stop filling.

chris taylor and oldman like this.
  8. deger

deger Active Member

Whilst we're talking about fuel taps and replacing hoses: What are the standard hose sizes to order? Am I right that the tank to filter is a different size from filter to fuel pump (mine is mechanical) ? I have read that the sizes are different but can't find the post anymore.

9. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

5.5mm outlet from tank - 7mm inlet on mech fuel pump - 5.5mm on outlet and stock carbs.

I recommend Codan fuel hose over the cloth braided crap.

tomhic likes this.
  10. deger

deger Active Member

Thanks Kai. Is the 'codan' hose similar to the fuel injection hose mentioned elsewhere?

11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Kai.
    Agree with you re using EFI hose.
    For me it offers more abrasion resistance ( yes I do ensure proper placement ) and it is easier to see if there is any failure. Particularly on ends , which can happen even if fitted properly ( often not)
    Some old school respected Vw mechs will only use the braided.
    In my view that's fine and they have the experience to do it right.
    I respect their opinions.
    If they are doing the regular maintence then they also check lines regularly and know what to look for.

My dislike of braided is it takes careful observation to see splits or deterioration.
    Most people do not check until its pissing fuel.
    Also too easy for unskilled to mix black and grey.
    Have seen a couple of examples in the last year of seriously weeping lines fitted by professionals.
    Plus there is talk of the issue of quality within the range of brands.

As you will know the issue with most avail EFI is sizing.
    ie none a good fit on to Vw spiggots.
    Other matter is people using cheap screw clamps.

So my question is ,
    is the line you suggest a good push fit onto stock spiggots ?

Reason I ask is I have had sizing differences in different batches of quality hoses in other brands.

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

You will find difficulty in sourcing correct sized EFI.
    Fuel lines do not respond well to being stretched or over clamped.

You need a good press fit then use quality EFI clamps of correct range.
    NOT serrated screw clamps .

Check out Ratwell.

14. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Have the correct clamps too - http://www.justkampers.com.au/n0245...-1967-1979-t25s-1979-1992-brazilian-bays.html

this codan hose is 5.6mm ID. dont have any stock carbs or anything to test against. Have a 400mm offcut here i can send you if you PM me your address.

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Thanks Kai.
    Size sounds good.
    Will pm address.
    Just a couple of inches of each size is enough to check .
    The clamps are same type as ,I used as well.

I know it all sounds pedantic but seeing lots of faults/ failures its good to have a reliable source that we can refer to.

Cheers.

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Must add , Thanks to Kai as well for finding parts that are hard to source or are up to spec rather than the crap copies often sold ( dipstick boots that are not oil tolerant being one example)

17. deger

deger Active Member

Thanks for your considered reply Kai. I agree with you dislike of the fabric braided hoses. I've been amazed how fatigued hoses have been once removed, that looked quite good going by the condition of the braid.

JaneC likes this.
  18. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Checked hoses supplied by Kai and happy with both sizes.

The 5.6 is a good push on fit like the quality braided version.
    Some effort needed to remove.
    Fits carbs and tank outlet nicely. Both the trouble spots with wrong sized lines.
    Fits 5.5 mechanical pump spigot. Would likely not need clamps but I definately advise clamps on all joins.
    Definately better than 6mm and 1/4"
    is certainly dangerous.

The 7.5 is a good fit for the larger spigot on stock mechanical pump , fuel injection pumps, aftermarket electrical pumps with 8mm spigots.
    Doesn't get stretched too much and tight fit on all.

The efi clamps I have are 9-11 and 12-14.
    I buy in boxes of ten at a parts retailer at about $9 a box , trade.
    Smaller doesn't fit either hose.
    Larger is clamping to minimum but acceptable on the 5.5 hose and only just fits 7.6 when hose not installed.
    These clamps are good quality from another supplier.
    I have had variations in these even in identical boxes from same brand and supplier.
    On 6mm( which is same OD as 5.5mm I tried ) some 9-11 fitted . Another box didn't.

Might be safer to buy the JK supplied ones to ensure correct fit.

So some like original braided.
    If you go that way ensure it is a quality one and E10 tolerant.
    And correct type.

My personal preference is EFI for greater safety margin ( just my opinion) .
    The only issue with EFI is finding cotrect sizing.
    Usualy best avail is 6mm which can also vary in manufacture sizing and not fit carbs or tank outlet.
    Best option is the 5.6 from Kai

Check out Ratwell
    http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html

19. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

I just had a huge leak from the fuel pump to one carbi. It was running out all over the road! Apparently there was a small section of 'old hose' jammed over 'new hose'. Old hose is rubber. I got the NRMA who managed to cut off the offending piece and reclamp but I am off to local mechanics tomorrow to try and get it temporarily fixed until I can get to Indian Auto. :confused:

20. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

make sure you have your mechanic FIT THE RIGHT GRADE OF HOSE . not that cheap shit that a lot of people fit not really knowing or understanding what the ramifications are , a lot of the old type hoses cannot withstand the modern day fuels and deteriate quickly leaving you and your van at risk , there has been a lot written about this subject on these sites ,and its in your best interest to read what has been said, correct grading should be SAE 30 r8 or 9 as i recall but you can check that out yourself , or better still TELL them to use a fuel injection hose which can withstand a lot higher pressure and modern day fuels, accept nothing less remember ,its your van , your money ,your call. if you ever smell even the slightest smell of fuel then have every thing checked out ,{fuel lines i mean}
    PS im not against in line fuel taps but remember when the back end is burning away happily you cant get near the tap to turn it off. Im not a mechanic , just someone who has had a lot of issues with leaking fuel lines, real scary stuff.

Regards and happy motoring , Chris :D

JaneC likes this.