Cheap,easy in-line fuel tap

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by oldman, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Mujo77

Mujo77 Member

Just wondering if you have a ignition cut off switch and which disables the electric fuel pump and had a fire would turning off the switch which operates the pump work like the fuel tap. Would eliminate the need to locate and try turning a tap off and you could do it before leaving the vehicle?

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

The ignition turns off the fuel pump on my F/I. By the time the failure (whatever the fuel failure is) has happened there is so much 'other stuff' on fire (linings , plastic etc) that there be no "cut off" available for them.
    Get a 'Blaze Cut'.;)
    Cheers

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    JaneC likes this.
  3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The recommended fitments of tachometric relay should include a fuel shutoff valve .
    The relay cuts pump power but most electric pumps DO NOT act as a shutoff valve when switched off hence the addition of solenoid operated fuel shutoff valve.
    This is highly recommended in
    type 4 engines with carbs where electric pumps replace the mechanical pump.
    Besides fire protection it also prevents fuel siphoning past carbs into sump in the case of kombi parked nose up on a significant slope.

About $65 for tachometric relay and about $49 for solenoid fuel shutoff valve.

JaneC likes this.
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Woven cloth covered fuel hose is old style and not up to current days petrol chemical breakdown so will rot.
    Fuel smells - "T" piece from fuela vapour system to air filter could be cracked, fuel vapour system connectors could be hard = rotten and so need replacing + fuel filler neck and/or hose may be "dead" = looks ok but is cracked on both inside and otuside os will need replacing. Jane you're not the 1st to say I thought the fuel smell was normal - there are people telling fb people this as I've dealt with a member about this who I know.

chris taylor and JaneC like this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey folks, I’m going to clean this thread up.....ie remove posts that are not fuel tap related.
    Any travel details, or others,should be posted in an appropriate thread....;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mordred likes this.