1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Spanners

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mellow Yellow 74, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I am doing the suspension in my T3 and needed to buy some larger spanners such as 22mm and 27mm. Supercheap Auto have these in store for about $19 each but if you buy them through the website and pick up in store you can get them for between $2 and $5 depending on the size. They are a budget brand (Toolpro) but are decent enough quality.

Luckyphil likes this.
  2. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

It you only use it a few times it does not matter is the steel is softer the sidchrome. Good advice.

3. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Way back when I was still in the engineering game I used to go to what was then the new Supercheap and other junkatoriums and buy up spanners, rings, sockets etc then bend, grind, shorten, lengthen and generally mangle the gear to suit the job at hand, still have a toolbox with lots of oddball bits, comes in handy now and then.

4. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I think the steel is pretty hard - I used one (a 1-1/16” which is a tighter fit than a 27mm) to remove the radius rods. These are on really tight and the spanner left a mark on the rod rather than the other way around.

5. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes our Aldi friends have spanner sets. Have a few and they are OK.

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Picked up a couple of "weird" size open end/ring spanners - $2 ex - can't recall the brand but they did the job and no marks on nuts/bolts or spanner :D

Bought the Toledo 1/2" Torque Wrench from SCA - one of the few about that I could find that did ft/lbs and Nm + carry case ..... good quality and price couldn't be beaten ;)- fleabay included @ that time :rolleyes: (Just checked invoice $57.99 07/16)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I had a cheap 13mm ring spanner once, that became a thick 13mm washer in no time......:eek:

tomhic likes this.
  8. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I was at the pub on the weekend and my mate picked up a great little set of tools

I think they are Hazet - cant quite make out the label

upload_2018-7-10_7-11-9.png

upload_2018-7-10_7-11-28.png

stusbus likes this.
  9. deeksy62

deeksy62 Active Member

These would be more suitable for MINI rather than a VW!

Wayne murray likes this.
  10. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

I’ve got a couple of weird looking 13mm Webber manifold specials. Super cheap spanners heated up and bent with the oxy!

11. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Think the screwdriver sets are coming up this weekend at Aldi. They’re great and about $8 for the set. I usually buy 2 sets lol. I’ve got the Aldi torque wrench and that is a fantastic tool. Stainless steel self tapping screw selection packs are up this weekend too....they are also great and there’s plenty of them in my bus :)

12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't remind me Chris re the Aldi Torque Wrench which I'd say looked as good my Toledo ;) - recall it went on sale a week after mine was purchased :confused: ...... may have saved me $5.00 :eek: but when looked @ with travel & time it was a break even & they'd sold out in 2 days so very popular :)

Dapom likes this.
  13. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

ALDI.........We've been emailing and waiting for years to get Aldi to open in Mildura, our council the wonderful stick in mud while looking backwards Mildura Rural City Council seems to be making it difficult by insisting Aldi pay for road changes a pedestrian crossing and to reduce the size of the Aldi sign.............WTF :mad:
    If the decision by VCAT finds in favour of the council Aldi have said they will walk away, according to the local paper :eek:
    I have to stop now as my neck is turning RED and just accept the fact we will probably remain a distant toilet stop for passing traffic. :(
    mmm.........just realised this rant should probably be in the "What Pisses Me Off Thread"

Wayne murray likes this.