Clarence River Wilderness lodge

Discussion in 'NSW' started by Weekender, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Weekender

Weekender Well-Known Member

I have just had a weekend at the Clarence river Wilderness Lodge - kombi camping.

http://www.clarenceriver.com/

It was a 400 km round trip from Brisbane and used 46 litres of fuel. About 30 of graveled roads each way and that last 7 km on the property was very rough. My travel companions - who towed in camper trailers - used low range in their 4WDs up and down the steep climbs. This is not a place for lowered kombis!

Saw some rock wallabies, 2 snakes and some large goannas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wayne murray, paul77 and Grantus like this.
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Kombi - complete vehicle.....no camping trailer required! ;)

Looks like a great spot for a getaway. :)

Weekender and peter drogi like this.
  3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Bet they were envious of your ride!

4. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice spot
    Mite just have to put that 1 on the To-Do list I think !!:D

5. jobell

jobell Active Member

Love a kombi keeping company with four wheel drives for a camping weekend. Just goes to show what they are capable of. Looks like a fabulous camping spot too! Thanks for sharing.

Debstar and Weekender like this.
  6. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good mileage Leo.
    can see you pushing it further and upgrading to a spare set of wheels with BFG MT 235/70 -15 pretty soon ;):D
    give the 4x4's with school delivery tyres a shift down the pecking order.

Weekender likes this.
  7. tillis

tillis Active Member

Nice! I was in the same area. Travelled to Stanthorpe for the 'apple and grape' festival via Rocky River...camped or parked i should say on a huge granite slab metres from the river ...would post pics but the files are too large....oh yeah and already have 235/70/16s...need the clearance on that road....Rob

Weekender likes this.
  8. Weekender

Yes Paul - one of the guys wife owns a new Beetle and previous had owned a 75 bug - all restored - she was most impressed with the kombi's hill climbing ability!

9. Weekender

OK Col - like the look of those tyres! Now where do I get the rims???

I always run with 98 fuel.

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

they do a 14" 215/75 if you can find some syncro 6" rims , otherwise merc steelies or mags?
    Tyres meant to be quite smooth running on tar for the type and perform well on mixed tests

11. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

What a top spot to get away from every thing ,and in a kombi to fully self contained and no towing to boot. Honestly towing a van every where is not my idea of fun. :( with a kombi just pull up lift the roof grab a beer and watch every one else set up camp.:rolleyes::)
    If ever over this way {sth Aust} take a trip down to Rapid Bay camp ground , Fully lawned, Large pine trees to camp under, toilets, BBQ, kidies play ground, $6 a nite per person, not sure about kids. Big jetty good fishing and squiding or off the beach.

Weekender likes this.
  12. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I think the front of your bus is still too low for these off-roading adventures. It is crying out for some mild baja treatment imho;)

I am seriously considering levelling my bus by raising the back 4cm.

13. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

I run 95 where possible but out in the bush its a bit hard to get especially in smaller towns, its usually (91 or 98} Don't like 91 and will not use ethanol.

Weekender likes this.
  14. Weekender

Tillis - just where is this Rocky River? and where is the access road?

15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

And a full belly pan :D

16. tillis

tillis Active Member

Hi Weekender, 'Rocky River' also known as 'Timbarra River' is accessed off the Bruxner Hwy just before Drake. The turnoff is to the south named as Long Gully road. After about 20k it becomes Rocky River road and eventually becomes 'Birririmbi' road(??various spelling) which can be followed up the range to Tenterfield. The river is fenced most of the way but there are two sections not fenced and the second one is superb...all granite and many rockpools....take firewood! Rob

17. tillis

tillis Active Member

on a rock.PNG

ok here is one pic...looks like they all need to be cropped to under 1mb...as you can see no dust gets tracked into the kombi!

Weekender and cbus like this.
  18. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

Good stance. I think that is what I want to raise mine too. But considering I cannot fit it under the carport currently with the roof rack on it may have to wait for my new carport.

19. tillis

tillis Active Member

Hi, finally found some time to visit this place....man what a road in...steep in the extreme and was freshly graded or bulldozed so was loose and it rained most of the night...caused me some concern but no! The kombi handled it with ease!
    Awesome place ...and quiet...well i was there midweek...only noise was the river burbling away...full moon til it clouded over

WP_20180301_005 (2).jpg

WP_20180301_008.jpg