1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLK rims for T3 Syncro - after some guidance

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by Syncronicity, Jan 2, 2021.

1. Syncronicity

Syncronicity New Member

Hi all,

Long time listener, first time caller. Haven’t posted here before - hello

I drive an 89 T3 Syncro Camper - had it for almost 8 years I guess. Lived happily in it for a couple of those

Apologies, I know this comes up a lot. But I’m hoping for some wheel advice/reassurance.

I currently have the standard 14” rims with some Maxxis A/Ts. I’m in need of new tyres so I think now is the time to change the rims.

I’ve tracked down a set of Mercedes CLK rims (circa 98-02 I believe) part number 208 401 0002.

5/112 PCD
    ET37
    16” x 7

As I understand it, the lug holes need to be widened slightly to 37/64” to accommodate the standard studs, and this will also require new mounting hardware - 17mm lug nuts with the appropriate small ball profile to be supplied by T3 Technique.

I’m planning to run 215/70/16, and the van running gear and suspension is stock. I know this is a tiny bit larger than the commonly fitted 215/75/15

I have seen this setup on a number of vans online and I’m pretty confident it will work, but was just looking for some reassurance that I’m not overlooking something.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

2. tillis

tillis Well-Known Member

WP_20161024_001 (2).jpg

i,m running 16x 7.5 Momo mercedes rims on my 82 T3 and it is beautiful to drive...225/60/16s but the 2L aircooled pushes it just fine

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Standard ride height and the profile change will mean you still got clearance in the guards and should not cause an issue(s).

One thing is to check rolling circumference of new rims/tyres against standard as you need to get as close as possible for speedo/odometer to be correct.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

You may need to machine the centrebore. Wheel stud holes should be OK.

5. Balki

Balki New Member

Thanks for the reply tillis. They look really nice.

6. Balki

Balki New Member

Thanks for the response, KahunaKombi.

I _think_ on the Syncro that this comes from a small drive gear in the front diff so I had assumed this wouldn’t be an issue but thinking about it more the bigger tyre circumference would have fewer revolutions. I’ll definitely look into this further.

7. Balki

Balki New Member

Thanks Syncro.

I think I’m feeling ok about having a small amount of adjustment done. I’ll do some measuring once I get my hands on them. In my simple mind, if the holes are in the right place, fitment tweaks should be doable (by someone who knows what they’re doing)

8. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Being merc wheels, centre should be fine at 66.6mm :)

Syncro27 likes this.
  9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's something you can use to compare tyre sizes - https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tire-size-calculator-tire-dimensions

215/70/16 circumference = 2220 mm

215/75/15 circumference = 2211 mm

Balki likes this.
  10. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think the original Michelins were 205x14C circumference = 2148 mm

Going much larger makes the brakes crap. I changed from BFG 215/75x15 to Toyo 215/75x15 and noticed an improvement in braking. I also drove one with 185x16 and it was terrible.

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Agree bigger wheels means you need bigger brakes

12. Balki

Balki New Member

Thanks everyone for the guidance. After quite a long drive (which was nice) they didn’t actually have the rims so I’m back to the drawing board.

I’ll definitely keep the braking issue in mind. I thought it would be ok at 215/75/15 which was the original plan but perhaps some more research required. BFGs were what I had in mind.

I was almost ready to stump for the Mefro 15’s from the states but they cost a hell of a lot to land for a steelie, and I’m getting the impression that they’re not making them anymore? GoWesty still have similar, but I don’t think they are Mefros. Again, this is just something I reckon I might have read somewhere...

13. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

If you are keen on steel wheels then back to the wreckers yard!! Mercedes C class (among others) came with 15” Et31 and Et37 and the rare 16” et30. All of these are bolt on swap with a set of mefro wheel lugs/nuts. I paid $25/rim for the last set I grabbed...don’t forget to grab the spare out of the boot ;)

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I have these for sale.

These are modified genuine syncro wheels to 15" x 6" ET30.
    There are no clearance problems and suit standard wheel nuts and hubcaps.
    Not suitable for big brake conversions.
    Tyres are BFGoodrich 215/75x15. Tyres have nearly full tread and are old but have been kept out of sunlight and are still soft.

Set of 5 $750. Make an offer.

Pick up Southern Highlands or can arrange delivery to Sydney, Canberra, South Coast for extra cost.
    Pay by Paypal, bank transfer or cash.
    plander(at)optusnet.com.au

upload_2021-1-11_6-36-33.png

KahunaKombi likes this.
  15. Balki

Balki New Member

Thanks for this. These look good.

I don’t know anything about how these would have been modified so I’ll do some research.

thanks again everyone!

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

They were modified by an authorised wheel manufacturer. They cut the outer rim off and replace it with a special deep hump rim imported from the USA designed for the purpose.

Syncro 6" rims were used as they are made with thicker steel that the standard 5.5" rims.