Club Permit...

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Fooksy, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Fooksy

Fooksy Member

Hi everyone,
    Im not sure if there is a thread already... I'm just after the in's & out's of Club Permits, how do they work? what you have to do.... those sorts of things? i wanna know if its for me or not...

2. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

Must be a registered, advertised club run, with a registered club. To and from the event, and the event itself. Pretty useless. But, maroon is fetching.

It's as simple as that - in Victoria anyway. Fact is, they're just not much use unless that really is the intention of your use of the vehicle. I know very well that people get pulled over on club plates and asked where they're headed.

One size fits all registration is just one of the more ridiculous, anachronistic, crude pieces of legislation there is for motorists. It should plainly be based on road usage and pollution generated. Sounds hard? Nonsense, we do it already through fuel excise. Slash rego, increase fuel excise. Encourage less road use and more efficient vehicles. As it is, enthusiasts subsidise polluters. </rant>

Serious85 likes this.
  3. fekkinell

fekkinell Member

Dad is one of the people who can sign off on club permits. They are switching to a logbook system. It allows you to use the car a certain number of days per year, depending on what you choose when you register it. (ie. 50 days in the year).

All you need to do is fill out the logbook with the reason why you are using it, and occasionally have a club representative sign off on the trips you've made.

Much better system. Allows cheaper registration for hobby vehicles. They do check the logbook though to make sure it's not being abused. ;)

4. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

I thought you could opt for either 90 or 45 days usage ? That's what it says on the Vicroads site anyway, does it mean you can only drive to club events during those nominated days?

5. 79_micro_bus

79_micro_bus Member

Back in the old days it had to be a club sanctioned run if you had Vic club rego. Thankfully now they have changed the rules and you can use if 45 or 90 days a year.

6. ybhve4

ybhve4 New Member

yeah im sure its 45 or 90 days.

also, anyone know of a good vw club that will also for club permit scheme?

7. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

VW club of Victoria might be a good starting point.

8. lachie

lachie Member

I have heritage rego on a couple of old motorbikes, and considering same for my kombi- the rules are;
    the vehicle can be used within a certain distance of home( usually 10km- our rural club allows for 35km).
    purpose of use is for a club run- or attending some other enthusiasts function(RTS would qualify)
    other use can be for workshop purposes- driving to or from the mechanic.
    other times if you notify one of the club officials of the day and intention to use the vehicle, and they log it.
    I have had this kind of permit for a couple of years, and yet to be stopped by police.

you also have to be a member of a recognised club that allows for this special conditional use.
    hope this helps

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

All the details are on the Vicroads site.
    New Log Book System
    You need to be a member of a club that is approved by Vicroads such as VW club of Victoria.
    Vehicle can be used up to 45 or 90 days per year depending on chosen option.
    NOT just usable for club events.
    Log book MUST be filled in prior to driving or you are driving without registration.

10. Dingostrategy

Holy bajeezuz Batman, this changes everything.

By my interpretation, which I admit is filtered by my enthusiasm and wanting it to seem as good as it sounds, I join a club, but don't have to actually be using the vehicle for the club event. I would actually never have to go to an enthusiast event, it would seem.

For $120, it suits me to a tee for the 90 day permit. In fact the 45 would do. that's a $600 saving. I will have that rack and peanut I want in no time!

11. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Does anyone know if NSW has the same system? It would save me heaps. We have full rego on our 3 as I do not want to limited to shows and taking to mechanics only but a 90 dayor even a 45 day rego would work nicely........fingers crossed.

12. olovw

olovw Member

club rego in victoria is the way to go if its not a daily driver (you can drive a bus anywhere in australia on it within days allowed which is 45 or 90), to get paperwork from vw club of victoria you need to send them recent rwc paper, photo of the car, pay up club membership (cheap), they send you back the forms you take to vicroads, pay for 45 or 90 days there, get a logbook and that's it, handy and cheaper if you only drive your kombi on weekend trips

13. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

actually was thinking the same here in queensland...maybe make this a sticky ?

14. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

If you have 3 busses Loraine and can use each of them 90 days a year your pretty close to a full years worth of travel ;)

good excuse to get another one :lol:

jobell likes this.
  15. Fooksy

Fooksy Member

Wow, thats awesome everyone! thanks heaps for sharing what u know! think wen my resto is done ill be going this 90day option! thats a pretty decent saving... plus a heaps cooler looking number plate :p

16. Dingostrategy

Damn right, Fooksy. I'll be joining you. I better tell my step dad, too. he's been registering a 1928 plymouth on full reg for 32 years, for maybe, I reckon 5 days a year, tops. It's balls, and now it's fixed with a practical solution. How often does that happen with lawmakers! Fair play, VicRoads.

17. Alpal

Option of the smaller slim line plate was proposed to be avaliable, Fits nicely on a late Bay front bumper!

18. Aspro

Aspro Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure there are some more costs involved.

Part of the club rego requires you have the car inspected once a year by the club mechanic, similar to a road worthy check. No big hassle if you look after your Kombi like the majority of us do.

19. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there is no such scheme in NSW. Our '52 Chev gets little use but remains on full rego as I want to be able to use when and where I like. Same with the Westfalia.

One day maybe...

20. Alpal

Check with your selected club to see what they require for the annual review. Some clubs may want an official RWC which may add significantly to the cost.