Clunking Noise from rear

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by mykombiandi, Aug 2, 2013.

1. mykombiandi

mykombiandi Member

Hi Everyone,

My 76 has just started making this horrible Clunking noise today. It happens whilst driving and its louder under acceleration. The sound is a loud clunking noise, it is coming from the rear and possible the rear right hand side. I am thinking an axle or something similar? Any ideas???? Any ways of figuring out what the issue is?

Cheers
    Shane

JaneC likes this.
  2. mykombiandi

mykombiandi Member

mmmmm maybe a CV? Sounds similar to the CV's i used to blow on the Suzuki.

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Could be a CV joint.

Try violenly shaking the drive shaft back and forward, on offending side, to see if it re seats itself in a more quiet postion.

If that does stop the clunking, then the CV joint is the problem.

Athough noisy, they rarely "let go", but will need attention when the clunking gets too annoying or embarrassing for you to drive.:)

JaneC likes this.
  4. kombivan

kombivan New Member

sounds like CV joint

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  5. mykombiandi

mykombiandi Member

The noise is already embarrassing. Ill try the shaking thing. I was worried as in suzuki's when your CV went, you were in danger of seizing up. But i new how to remove them on the trail.
    How much do CV's cost in VW's?
    Cheers
    Shane

6. kombivan

kombivan New Member

you can find them and the partictular joint you need on ebay usually from UK or states 10days - 2 weeks delivery time or go to an ozzie buisness

7. kombivan

kombivan New Member

pays to keep and do up your old one for ron. These vehicles are starting to get the K's on them.

8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Check your CV boots. If they are split then sh1t gets in and the grease gets out = clunks.
    Go with the axle rattle OR go to a car park, Full lock and go for a quick circle. One eack way. Makes the bus lean and alters the geometry of the drive shafts pushing grease back in.

JaneC likes this.
  9. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Do not buy the cheap chinese copies from Ebay. They do not last, and the boots break after a few km. The good ones are around $120 each for the boot and joint. I would take both shafts out, clean them up and replace the boots on all that look crappy, regrease them and replace the faulty one. They will last for ages after that.

Adrian

10. xerxes

xerxes Member

just to be completely different :D i had a horrible clonking/clunking noise which turned out to be my gearbox mount not being there :eek:
    i also just got my suspension checked because i thought that the newer noise whilst going over bumpy roads maybe was that - but no the mechanic did tighten up my cv joints re grease and replace missing bolts (god only knows the thin air that keeps my kombi upright the amount of bolts that he has found missing over the past year LOL)

JaneC likes this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

like Adrian said. get the good ones. the ones from ?suzuki ? on ebay are real crap in my experience and the guy has has crap[nil] back up service for crap parts.
    as mentioned. check bolts as well. My mechanic used a 6mm allen drive with rattle gun on 12 spline bolts. Naturaly they came loose and the axle dropped off taking the clutch fluid line with it . no happy jan.

12. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You mean the clutch cable line i hope? ;-) Nasty think to have an axle waving in the wind at speed. Give a new meaning to clunk I reckon.

It is easy to replace the 12 spline bolts with high tensile 6mm Allen key bolts unless you have the right tool. Some loctite in the threads is a good idea too.

He is right about the particular seller too.

Adrian

JaneC likes this.
  13. Grantus

All good advice. Cheap dollars = cheap quality, especially with CV joints.

My "shake & rattle" suggestion, comes from past experience. I was embarking on a 650km day trip, and the clunking was excessive. 10k into the journey, I pulled over , and did the "SHUT TFU SHAKE"!

All good & quiet for the next 2500kms!:lol:

Then I found time to take the bus off the road, and had the CV's professionally sorted.

JaneC likes this.
  14. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

na . was the fluid line T3. not happy.
    prefer the spline as they are less prone to strippng and have a number of fittings to get them out. prob was a mechanic who didnt look as to why he had difficulty getting them out and made the same mistake putting them back.
    strange thing was the lack of any noises before the damn cv fell out on a corner .Only about 3 loose bolts and one bent one remaining.

these things need to be torqued

15. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

"shut tfu shake"
    :rolleyes: love it. I assume that's also the mantra that goes with the action.....
    Cheers, Mark

JaneC likes this.
  16. Grantus

There is Mark, but this IS a family forum, so I'll just leave it to the imagination.....:p

JaneC likes this.
  17. Necro

Necro Active Member

I had this problem recently after putting Lulu back on the road, it was the cv's...new boots, reversed the cv's, repacked with grease...pretty good result and affordable...in the mornings she clunks on the first right turn and then is set for the day...much like my left knee sometimes...

JaneC likes this.
  18. kombivan

kombivan New Member

I've had chinese ones on my T3 for over 10 years now without any trouble.

19. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Agree..the chinese cheese is just junk.

20. mykombiandi

mykombiandi Member

Wow thanks so much guys. Much appreciated. I had a look before i flew out the other day. The bolts are already allen keys and it all looks pretty new-ish. The noise sounds like it is from the right side so ill start there.
    Does any one know of a place in Perth that i can get these parts? Would it be worth just changing them both out? All parts involved?

This is my daily driver and I plan on doing some serious travelling in it so i don't mind spending a little bit of cash on it. If it is worth it that is.