Clunking sound = Kombi Club knowledge base... please HELP!

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by JaneC, Sep 13, 2017.

1. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Dottie has not long ago had her major service but leading up to it, I had heard an intermittent metallic 'clunking' sound which sped up as we did. It sounds like something turning and making the noise. I am up for a new speedo cable but it sounds far worse than that. After a few minutes it went away. Mechanic couldn't find the source. The first time I heard it I did crawl under to check to see if anything was dragging/hanging off! But the noise is back. Only this time it's louder. When I put the clutch in, it disappears. Let clutch out, it's back. It appears to be coming from left hand side/front.

Any advice?!

By the way she's a '74 T2 Bay.

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Sounds like a CV joint asking to be attended too, next time work is being done on her.......:rolleyes:

JaneC likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi JaneC,
    Clutch & apparent noise position are a long way from each othero_O. Speedo cable goes to LHF wheel but shouldn't vary with clutch position. Just broke my speedo cable & it didn't protest very loudly;). Quietly broke with just needle 'flicker' at lower speed.
    Find a cul de sac close to you (whilst running gear cold) & try left & right hand tight circles to see if that gives more knowledge. This is to see if it is CV (constant velocity) joint/s. The click these guys make is not that loud & is evident regardless of clutch position but more evident under power whilst turning.
    You could also get under bus & push/pull drive shafts from wheel to gearbox to feel the noise & movement. Should be a bit difficult to move (if CV's have good grease) & very little noise (none!)
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers

JaneC likes this.
  4. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Check the tube that the clutch cable goes through, it is welded to the chassis, sometimes the welds brake, clutch cable loose tube could vibrate/knock, when cable tight as in peddle down there is tenchion on tube so it won't vibrate/knock.

Just a thought as you said it's up front

JaneC and David H like this.
  5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Worthy thought;) as the noise could move along the clutch tube.
    Cheers

6. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Thanks Grant!

7. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Fabulous. Love the explanation. I will try and give this a go.

8. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Ahh thank very much, I will try to track it down. These are all great suggestions. A wheel bearing wouldn't make a noise that badly would it???

9. JaneC

JaneC Active Member

Grant, I saw back in 2013 another member had a similar problem and it was also suggested to take to a car park, put on full lock and try to squeeze some of the grease back into the socket as it MAY be some dirt has got in if my rubber seal has a crack. I did that... so we'll see what happens. If nothing else it was a lot of fun going round in circles at a fair trot!

David H likes this.
  10. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

There's also a little back & forth movement of the shaft between the two CV's. I have found that by grabbing the shaft and sliding it back and forth, it changes the position of the CV enough to find a quiet position.

Both these methods, may keep it quiet for 3 days, or 3 years.

As I said, they will last until your next service, clunking or not. ;)

Syncro27 and David H like this.
  11. merrymike

merrymike New Member

Check the dust cover on the hub of your left front wheel. Sometimes they pop off (especially after a service as they are removed to grease the hub) and they rattle around inside the hub cap. They only clunk when you are going slow - the noise goes away as your wheel speed increases as the cover sits in one place due to centrifugal force.

Of course, this issue is not dependent on whether or not the clutch is in or out.

JaneC likes this.