1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clutch adjustment ?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Bulli, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Bulli

Bulli New Member

Is there such a thing as clutch adjustment on my 77 Kombi? seems I'm running out of pedal ... perhaps a new clutch is necessary??

2. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

There is a wing nut atop the clutch lever. Top left side of the gearbox. Easier to adjust if you take the left rear wheel off first. Acouple of turns will make a difference.
    Dean

3. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

by the sounds if your running out of pedal i would loosening the wing nut

You should have if you push down on the pedal a certain ammount of slack before the pedal actually starts to dissengage the clutch , this is known as clutch pedal freeplay you need 1 inch of freeplay , so in order to get this loosen the wingnut , you may have to spray wd40 or alike on the cable thread and wingnut , hold the clutch cable with some vicegrips then loosen the wingnut some times they just have a nut
    if the clutch when depressed is engaging off the floor this means your clutch is ok its when it starts to engage at the end of its travel meaning your foot off thats when either adjustment is req or replacement wiil be happening soon

4. Bulli

Bulli New Member

Thanks so much guys .... a couple of turns on the wingnut did the job ... you learn something new , everyday, huh? :)

5. Dan Connors

Dan Connors New Member

What way do you turn the wing nut. My clutch bites near the floor. Do I turn it to the left or the right.

6. Dan Connors

Dan Connors New Member

What way do you turn the wing nut. My clutch is biting near the floor. 1974 1800 cc kombi. Cheers Dan

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Clockwise to tighten.
    Cheers,
    Mark

8. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Make sure the cable doesn't turn while tightening the wing nut.

9. Dan Connors

Dan Connors New Member

So to make it bite further away from the floor I need to tighten the cable clockwise. Sorry to sound a bit daft but have read other threads that say I need to loosten it. Cheers

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, clockwise.....tightening the cable will take the slack out and allow the clutch lever to actuate sooner.....ie away from the floor. The pedal play is reduced.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Dan Connors likes this.
  11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

oldman likes this.
  12. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Spray plenty of heavy duty lanolin or grease down tubes as well.
    Ensure the Bowden tube fits into the chassis tube at a fairly straight angle.

And stiffness in clutch operation can be cable snapping wires so check that there's no binding.

13. Dan Connors

Dan Connors New Member

How do you replace a broken clutch cable return spring on the return fork on the transmission

14. Dan Connors

Dan Connors New Member

I think I have found the issue the return spring on the clutch fork is broken so no matter how much I turn the wingnut it makes no difference

cbus likes this.