1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch cable...connector

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Ian and Shelley, May 12, 2019.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Just back from a great weekend in the blue mtns, good drive from the central coast yhe Kombi was going well.......

On the way home just at Hornsby and Boom !!!!!. Clutch cable snapped....

The Cable still OK but the connector to the clutch pedal has broken through...

I was determined to fix this on the road side but limited tool's, rusted adjusted at the rear and oncoming of darkness and wife eager to be home we had to tow truck and the NRMA....

I had previously checked all cables and they all looked good. But never had I closely examined the metal connector...couple of photos showing where it failed to let everyone check theirs which may save a breakdown in the future..

Hope this helps that ks Ian

rps20190512_211200.jpg

rps20190512_211048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2019
    TeeBee likes this.
  2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I've never seen one break here,:eek:o_O:( it looks like the other hole on the other side is slightly out of shape as well. What is the pin clip that holds it in place like if this has broken?:rolleyes::(

grumble likes this.
  3. Ian and Shelley

The pin clip was in good order was in place after it snapped I removed to try and bodge a replacement..

The clip holes, - one has fully snapped and the remaining one was cracjed and broken through (in photo it had been closed shut with plyers)

4. Ian and Shelley

While i wait for delivery of new cable kit.....I practiced a quick fix repair....

Applied fish oil to wingnut screw thread and was able to get 2 vice grips and undo the wingnut all way off the thread which allowed me to free the front connector enough to drill 4 mm hole through connector,...and secure new hole to clutch peddle with nut and bolt...
    Re-tghten wing nut and we have a working clutch once more...

Off to buy more simple tools for Kombi tool kit...to aid future running repairs

tintop likes this.
  5. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Tie wire and zip ties as well. :D