Clutch cable needed T2 '74 Melbourne

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by wowkombi, Dec 2, 2017.

1. wowkombi

wowkombi New Member

Help! Bernie broke down in North Fitzroy this Satday. Any chance someone has a spare clutch cable lying around so I can try to get him home this rainy weekend? Thanks folks!
    Tom

PS in case you've ever wondered: you cannot rejoin a clutch cable once it is split, no matter how much you swear and grunt and cover yourself in rainy road grime :-(.

2. wowkombi

wowkombi New Member

I did the sensible thing: Got the van towed home and have now ordered two clutch cables and a cable linkage clip (2x $13 + $4 + $11 postage) from JK. I'm now gleefully looking forward to covering myself with grease and dirt on the outside (and beer in the inside) during yet another Kombi self-repair. :)

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Do Bowden tube at same time plus ensure correct amount of sag..
    Hopefully new cable is the correct one. Some different lengths available plus sometimes gearboxes have been changed so if you find adjustment difficult this may be the issue.

KahunaKombi and David H like this.
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Also the tube that the clutch cable feeds through from the front to the rear, could have been be moved and so you can end up with either a longer or shorter "route" than original & thus the cable may be too long and so you'll find it hard to get correct adjustment - solved by placing a metal sleeve after the lever on the gearbox then the wingnut .... you just have to work out what length it has to be OR thoroughly check the routing tube from the front and try to get it back in the correct position.