1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colin and Angela Carter

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Colin and Angela Carter, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Colin and Angela Carter

Colin and Angela Carter Member

Hello - this is Bonny, (named after the infamous Pirate lady), a '77 camper bus - 'It's PINK !!' squealed Ms Angela with delight while looking at second hand blackwood kitchens on the interwebs and it just had to be, (yes I ended up with one of those filling my garage as well). Yes she was over 40 with a face lift, dodgy paint, an appalling misfire, impossible to find 2nd and 4th gears, grinding brakes and a cheap as chips patched together interior, (no blackwood), but Ms Angela was instantly in love and as only I know, the peculiarities only added to her charms. Some money and work has been done since, thanks especially to Dean Cook of Just VW's in Wallington and Ian Walters of Colac Body Works she now looks and runs about as well as a 42 year old Kombi can. All she needs now is for me to rebuild the interior - no blackwood! The intent has never been for a restoration, (we are Pastafarians not Purists), - rather a build fit to purpose as she has already proven to be quite the comfy camper.

MAP77, chris taylor, TeeBee and 4 others like this.
  2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

G’day and welcome

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Welcome Colin and Angela to the KC,Hope you enjoy it wherever it takes you. Interior is like a new painting a blank canvas waiting for your creation.:D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  4. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Welcome Colin & Angela. I s'pose it's a girl bus;).
    Cheers

5. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Welcome to the KC clan guy’s

6. wombatventures

wombatventures Well-Known Member

Welcome to KC guys.

7. Colin and Angela Carter

Thanks all - Bonny does get about a bit between the 'notorious' old blue church and her city abode in Westmeadows up and down the Princes Highway.

8. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Welcome Colin and Angela! I will definitely recognise Bonny if I see her out and about! I haven't seen many pink ones around. :)

9. Colin and Angela Carter

Greetings all - looking for advice on dual battery systems.

10. Aspudis

Aspudis Active Member

Welcome guys! Pastafarians... love it!... haha
    You’ll get plenty of info here on anything Kombi/ camper related. Our ‘Penny’ can take us anywhere (and has) with ample power and solar etc.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  11. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Hi guys .
    Not sure what Pastafairins are but no matter .welcome
    A new way of camping begins here ..
    Chris T.

12. sonya Joy

sonya Joy Member

I love the pink!!! :p

chris taylor likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

14. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Colin and Angela
    I've used both Matson and Projecta voltage sensitive relays with no problems.
    You should be able to fit at least 100 a/h of agm house battery in the left hand battery tray (just keep an eye on dimensions as the spare wheel holder comes close to some).
    Depending on what you will run and how long you want to stay off the grid you may want solar as well. Fixed panels are easy but mean you need to park in the sun. Portable panels take a bit more time but you can move them to follow the sun.
    I don't like to run a battery lower than 50% (and usually don't go that low). A simple fridge, led lights and phone charger set up will use about 30 amps in 24 hours and will be fine with 100 a/h agm battery and a 160 watt panel (or a short drive).
    If you want to run an electric hot water system you will need more capacity because it will draw about 50 amps to heat it's 10 litre tank to 70 degrees (which is an okay amount for 2 people once mixed with cold to bring it down to a usable temp)...a 270 a/h battery bank, a fixed 200 watt panel and 320 watts of flexible panels did the job for me on a recent trip
    Patrick

David H and Aspudis like this.
  15. Colin and Angela Carter

Thanks heaps Patrick - yes just the basics - fridge, a light, phones, little water pump for the sink and a hair straightener, (Angela will go off the grid except not without her hair straightener). As for showers - a casual wander into a nearby caravan park does when needed. Solar back up is the intent once the roof racks go back on + bull bar to protect her nose.

16. Colin and Angela Carter

Pastafarians are folks that 'believe' that the universe and all we wonder at are the accidental incidentals arising from the Flying Spaghetti Monster's drunken meanderings on the way home from the beer volcano. Along the way seeing how humans have a knack for messing things up, the FSM chose from among their midst those folk of a free spirited, adventurous, joyful and generous disposition to bring a bit O enlightenment, raucous fun and liberty to their ken = Pirates, the chosen people. Unfortunately Hare Krishna's and despotic Governments decried their efforts and demonized Pirates as blood thirsty, unruly cut throats and ne'er do wells. Science has had it's go as well but still can't explain even the basics of gravity, which is why it is still just a 'theory' vs the gentle downward press of invisible FSM noodles, and scientists only understand what they can break, looking for sense and reason. The FSM has no pretense of omnipotence or being clever - sh*t happens, which is the wisdom we all know. Yes we live in the 'notorious' Church, (FB - The Blue Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster) dress up as pirates and when not getting about in Bonny - there is my car - - the Sh*tbox Rally Shipbox, (completed Spring 2019 rally - Melbourne to Townsville via Birdsville). - You had to ask. Super Shipbox 2.jpg

David H, tintop and Aspudis like this.
  17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So you are seriously Pastafarians then?

Fair call. :)

I’m sure many have here been polite, and accepting of all things Kombi, and refrained from commenting on the look of your new bay window Kombi......

But I’ll go out on a limb, and ask - was the paint job a “deal clincher”?

Don’t get me wrong, each to their own, and aftermarket pink under white is quite cool. Many kombi’s today don’t run with a factory VW colour of the era. I’m not a purist, and fully believe, that anyone should do whatever they wish, to their kombi.

It’s just the shape chosen, of the two tone paint join............ a decision of some previous owner, I assume.

OK, I’ll be honest.... a pre 1967 splitty “V” paint join, on the front of a post 1968 Kombi, trying to look like something it isn’t, just really doesn’t appeal to me. o_O

I just have to ask....:rolleyes:

chris taylor likes this.
  18. chris taylor

Oooohhh !!!!! A bowl spag and a bottle o Chianti,
    You lot are gunna be fun to be around.
    Hahahahahaha..
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    David H likes this.
  19. chris taylor

You know ,Grant ,i think sometimes i should just raise one eye and walk away.:( But i do agree with you, your van your call :D
    Lol.

20. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Like your style. Agree with the fix and drive approach. Enjoy the ride!
    And a 'Bonny, name that I share with your machine..
    Alan Bonny