1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bay_Buddha, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Morning all!I have been having trouble with some of my computer programs since last night.My subscription to McAffee ran out yesterday. Afterreading some posts on the Kombi Club I decided to download and install the Avast virus software. Since installing the software some websites have not loaded properly. My uni log in site wont load as well as the front page of Outlook express and Windows Media player.Could it be a setting has been changed by the new program or anything like that?Thanks heaps!Phill.

2. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

i use avg grisoft for free never a problem with virus's try un installing and down load latest avg

3. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Got agree with tom AVG free has had us covered for years, Only trouble I've had was home page hijackers about 18 months ago

Here's a link to the AVG free http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afe

4. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Hi Phill.

I have never used Avast before, so am not really familiar with that Anti-Virus program. Is the version you installed just an AV program, or does it have firewall and other anti-hijacking stuff in it too? The reason I ask, is 'cause usually if you now can't get to certain sites, it'll usually be due to a firewall, or Internet privacy/security setting.

So, if Avast has firewall and/or Internet privacy and protection settings in it, go through them and see if it's set too strictly. Be careful in making them too relaxed though, as it'll defeat the purpose of having it there in the first place.

If Avast doesn't have those settings, the only other thing that could have changed is the security settings in your web browser - Internet Explorer or Firefox, etc. Usually you'll find those in the Internet Options part of the Tools menu in your browser. Have a squizzy through there and see what you can come up with.

Otherwise, you may have inadvertently downloaded some spyware or something when you downloaded Avast. If that's the case then get a copy of Spybot Search & Destroy or Adaware and install them and do a scan.

Ahhhh... the joys of it all. Best of luck. Let us know how you go.

Julian.

5. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Thanks for the replies!!!I have determined that things using jave or flash are either playing up or not working. I have re installed the java but it hasn't made any difference. I have also run adaware but it wouldn't let me update it before the scan. Is the next step to try uninstalling avast? If there is nothing else I should look at then this will be my next step.Nothing like PC and Uni stress on a long weekend!!!

6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Most anti viruses come with their own firewalls. It is most likely stopping all connections, my uncle told me that java can be exploited. Open up the Avast, navigate to the firewall settings and you should be able to allow things through the firewall.

If it doesn't have this feature, uninstall completely, reboot and install AVG, it's a pretty safe product.

...Kai

7. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Thanks Kai,I have uninstalled Avast and turned off the windows firewall. I have reinstalled java and looked through the internet options. Not exactly sure what I should change in there though all the active x things seem to be enabled.Will installing AVG fix the problem of java, flash and things like that?I have had trouble getting into the java window at uni, the flash section of the falls festival website and windows media player wont open at all.I'm ready to play frisbee with the thing soon!PhillPs it looks like the formatting for my posts is shot too.

8. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

At least you guys get a long weekend this weekend... :umm:

9. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Phil,

Did you uninstall McAfee first?

Baz

10. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

Yeah I did Baz... I think I'm getting on top of it now.

I downloaded Firefox onto a usb on mums PC then installed it on mine.

A guy from uni rang and said that uninstalling McAffee can cause lots o' problems. Firefox has got the internet issues sorted but I still can't open Windows media. I use that program heaps while I study and it's bogging me!

I think it's going to be better for my sanity if I fail this subject 'cause I'm dying trying to do this assignment! They always get done though, might have to settle for a pass though...

Thanks again for your replies on a Sunday guys!

Phill.

11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

My uncle told me, McAfee leaves, traces of its files on the computer after you uninstall it, there is a program you have to get from McAfee site to remove all traces of McAfee software. My uncle knows lots about computers. But yeah, if you run two anti-viruses, the computer lags extremely and stuff.

Don't forget to turn your Windows firewall back on. You need it. ;)

...Kai

12. Bay_Buddha

Bay_Buddha Member

All fixed... I installed Firefox and that sorted out my browser problems but I was still having trouble with the other programs.

Thanks to Kai I searched the McAfee site and found the uninstall tool. I ran that and it fixed everything.

I think it's a bit rough that they make it so difficult to remove the program. I had to negotiate a refund the other week as they charged my account for subscription. I missed that piece of info in the fine print last year!

All sorted now... Cheers!

Phill.

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

It's all good. :)