1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contents Insurance

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Advan, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Advan

Advan Member

Has anyone had luck with contents insurance over the standard policy limits or found a secondary insurer who will offer a stand alone policy?

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Do you mean the contents of your car?

3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

or a we combining house insurance!?
    Don't car insurance, depends on how they word the policy include contents of the car if they are damaged or stolen!?

4. Advan

Advan Member

My car insurance only covers $500 of contents and on longer trips I'll have more than that in my camper.

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Tell the car insurer what you require & they should write it into the policy (for an extra cost). If that gives no joy just take another policy (with another insurer) writing in what you want covered;). Call Shannons;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  6. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Morning David .
    Just reading your post, and correct me if i am wrong , but when i attempted to insure my van with comprehensive ins {for the first time } last year none of the ins companies that we were with wanted to know anything about it as any vehicle over 12 years old is to big a risk , third party property ,yes ,but comprehensive no, then having heard of a lot of the guys from the K Club were ins with Shannons i decided to go with them, so when i read what you have stated regards switching companies , that may not be possible. further searching showed that Shannons were actually a subsidy of a many other companies " ie " AAMI is owned by SUNCORP which own 12 other brands including AAMI, GIO ,SHANNONS ,BINGLE, the latter i not heard of before. So having found all that out , it seems to me that SUNCORP will only allow older vehicles to be ins through SHANNONS , i have not had time to check out the prices to see if they are inflated but i guess they would be . So having said all this if you can ins your bus through any other company without a older vehicle penalty rates then thats good . The cost to me for ins my van was $690 for 12 mths ,ins value is $28000 which also gives me the option of getting my van back for spares if it is written off. Now this is the agreed value between myself and Shannons ,I did want it to be insured for a higher amount because if it was written off the cost of purchasing another and bringing it up to where i would want it to be would be a little more than $28grd ,but they suggested that that price would be the max allowed. If any member can make comments about what i have said please do so ,the more info the better it is for all of us ,

Many Regards Chris

7. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

Blitz is insured for $55k with Shannon's.
    not sure of the specific cost for him because I have 2 motor cycles(BMW, KTM) under the same policy and a 3rd party insurance for my VZ One tonner.
    comes in at $88 a month (bit over a grand a year)
    The more belongings you have with them the cheaper the cost of insurance gets relatively speaking (cars, bikes, house, contents etc). They discount every time you add something and we are about to move another vehicle and house and contents over to them.
    I got Shannon's to value Blitz at the nationals in Fairfield this year and they increased the insured value from $42k to $55k.
    Blitz is not a daily driver which made a big difference to the premium.
    Hope this helps

Wayne murray and David H like this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,
    I was just saying it's a bit like a home contents policy & adding in those special things that the policy does not normally cover or is above the value that they normally cover. Like jewellery etc. Best to ask your insurer where you're at for all the insurance things being asked on KC ATM.
    Agree with rstucke about the more you have with Shannons the better it gets. Old Boy also not a daily driver but insured for $40k & premium is less than what you're paying. We've got 4 cars & home & contents with them.
    Considering you're not 'daily driving' ATM approach them & see what they say;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019