Convoy from WA

Discussion in 'The Kombi Club Bus Stop 2013' started by Tangles, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Tangles, the neighbour has rung and you may have left the stove on so it may be a good idea if you quickly duck home and check. :D

Great pics, and great trip - well done!

2. mykombiandi

mykombiandi Member

Great pics and a great adventure!
    Love it keep em coming!!!!

3. Tangles

Tangles Well-Known Member

Ok. This konvoy is really losing the plot at the moment. No progress seems to have been made for about the last four days, and the whole konvoy seems to just be staying at this beach with no name.

Offshore
    [​IMG]

Onshore
    [​IMG]

4. Tangles

Managed to make it into Bermagui for the seaside fair. They had a bit of a classic car cruise and parked them all on the oval with the fair happening around. Great day but the organisers missed the two best cars in town that weekend. It's fantastic to finally takes some photos of another bus.

Meet Ringo, he's a local
    [​IMG]

So the pair of them looked down on the bay and had a yarn for a while.
    [​IMG]

5. Tangles

On the move again. Spotted this guy yesterday. It appears that I am not the only one freecamping in forests down this way. Had a chat to the owner and it seems that this wife left him and took everything but the kombi, so he is now touring the country in it.
    [​IMG]

Today, camped at a beautiful campsite at Congo Point (Eurobodella nat park) and in should drive another KC member Lola76. Well the mushpit and Lola seemed to get on pretty well. Wonderful people going on a very long trip north. Sadly they won't be near the gold coast at the right time.
    [​IMG]

Lola is a great looking camper
    [​IMG]

6. skat66

skat66 Member

Hey Brian,

Have loved following your trip, keep the photos coming, we enjoy them.

Safe ride

Garry

7. Joy Kombi Wolfsburg

Joy Kombi Wolfsburg Well-Known Member

I really shouldn't look at your photos while I'm in the classroom. They make me want to give it all away and head somewhere..... anywhere.... slowly. Keep them coming, Brian.

8. Tangles

Central Tilba is just beautiful - A shop to suit the mushpit. Owner has a kombi too !!
    [​IMG]

And the shop at Tilba Tilba is a cracker. They still have old school petrol pumps operating and you may even have to have a beer with the locals when filling up.

9. Tangles

Ok. I have now left the 80% of the country suffering from drought and have entered the 20% suffering from floods.

But J-bay rocks !!
    [​IMG]

10. Tangles

Ok. I must have done something wrong. I know I sometimes miss the odd road sign but I must have missed a biggie. Somewhere north of Batemans bay, I missed the sign that read :
    All drivers must drive 10k over the speed limit.
    Tailgate where possible.
    Giving way is for the weak.
    Drive aggressively when required, and very aggressively when not.

And then I hit this .........
    [​IMG]

There seemed only one solution. So I did an incredibly unnatural act and pointed a kombi UP a hill. Bravely, the Mushpit coped quite well and powered up the great divide at incredible velocities sometimes exceeding 40km/h. :cool:

11. Tangles

The path now seems to be Nowra - Kangaroo Valley - Golburn - Bathurst - Mudgee and hit the north coast somewhere.

Now THIS is a bridge worth driving over ......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then through the hilly country - man 3rd and 2nd gears come in handy.

Somewhere near Sofala, and a cracker of a thunderstorm hit just after this
    [​IMG]

12. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Guest

Thank you for sharing your journey Brian, I love seeing all your photos - Liss

13. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Brian,

This brings back memories of the Bus Stop two years ago @ Tilba where we went for the markets.

Your travels look awesome - be careful of capital cities - the drivers are often not very accomodating to a cruising kombi.

See you in QLD in a couple of weeks hopefully @ the Bus Stop.

Cheers,

14. teeveezed

teeveezed Member

Glad you steered the Mushpit out of that traffic snarl Brian, where you ended up seems much more befitting of a Kombi.
    Happy travels! :)

15. Tangles

Was speaking to the owner of the river rock cafe, just north of the bridge in Bermagui, she has a T3 and still fondly remembers the day they whole convoy went past her cafe. Great old fashioned place with lovely rustic slow food and the open mic nights on fridays are fantastic.

Back to the trip. Managed to get lost and find myself at a bit of a loose end in the Hunter Valley - apparently they have free wine tastings :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But as nobody at the bus stop drinks wine, I didn't stock up on too much ...........

16. Tangles

And tonight , I realised it has been far too long since I stopped in a clearing in the forest and listened to the trees.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By my reckoning, I am somewhere around 650k's from the gold coast. But this should be taken with a grain of salt as I am not exactly sure where I am at the moment.

17. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

keep posting up the pics...I did my roadtrip around 12 months ago & heading slowly to Swan Hill to the Bus Stop last year....I loved it...ever since then have had very itchy feet to do it again....
    Was only chatting about this afew days ago with some friends about my next one could be driving to Tassie... always wanted to see Tassie..
    hmmmm maybe next year...
    Looking forward to seeing you at the Bus Stop at Easter....& meeting up with your bus again...
    Your Bus was abit of a local around northern NSW for awhile...remember it well :)

18. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

PIcs are fantastic...pls keep them coming...this is why we are taking a month off for bus stop ..plenty of time to look about

would be great to catch up before bus stop

keep the pics coming

19. Tangles

Hit the highway again at Buledelah. And the first thing I saw was a Kombi . And an orgazmic one at that!!!!!!!!!!!! Had a great chat with the owner who came out of her house saying "I thought I heard a kombi !!! "
    [​IMG]

And there could be a reason why they call it "Big River Country"
    [​IMG]

20. Tangles

And this epic journey pretty well grinds to a halt with the driver chilling for a few days on Tallows beach and Hamish Mushpit the magic bus having a well deserved rest for a week.

The bus stop is barely an hours drive from here. Think I should make it.......