Cooling hose total replacement

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by beastieboy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

Wondering if someone can give me a hand here.
    Have the most minor coolant leak and seems only to occasionally drip once every 30 seconds or a minute when running. Been like this for a bit, but now the van is off road till winter (No air con installed, brutal).
    Hardly notice it and seems intermittent sometimes. Was quite hard to spot. but now figure if I'm taking all the coolant out to fix it, I may as well do the whole lot while I'm at it. Gonna cost me some $$$ but I'll do as much as I can afford or as much as is available.
    So.... I'm looking at this online....

Vancafe..
    http://www.van-cafe.com/2.1l-automatic-coolant-hose-kit-1986-1991

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/pa...sing_to_trans_cooler_to_coolant_pipe_sil.html

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/pa...pe_to_distrib_tower_to_trans_cooler_sili.html

Vs....

Gowesty....
    http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23604

Think there is 2 or 3 extra hoses in the Gowesty kit. What's the deal there/what are they?

Gowesty also don't have T-stat housing to trans cooler to coolant pipe OR coolant pipe to distrib tower to trans cooler hoses.
    There is also a couple of mods available which just confuses the hose selection even more for me.

I also know about the long steel piping to replace the plastic ones running from front to back.
    Cost wise, or more like availability for this, is there a rubber version or can hose be bought per mtr anywhere?
    Failing that I could bite the cost and splurge more coin I guess and get it sorted in metal.

Can't the metal pipes be made/bought somewhere in Australia rather than importing metal tubes basically?
    Would suck if they got damaged in the mail. Rubber not so bad as it can take a flex or two in the mail.

So many hoses, and as I've not pulled the cooling system hoses from the van yet, I'm getting a little confused as to which way to go kinda thing . Also not keen on draining everything for one hose split, then six months later do it again for another, over and over 16 ltr of coolant at a time kinda thing. Don't mind doing it 2 or 3 times but not a coolant drain for a hose at a time.
    No big deal having a few spare hoses from the leftovers removed. Not such a bad thing at all by the looks of availability.

Suggestions please! More links too if you have them for availability of hoses. Pretty slim findings these days at a reasonable price. I feel time is closing in on our vans somewhat. :eek:

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi beastieboy, with regard to replacing all the hoses and pipes, a lot depends on how long you want to keep the van for, and how reliable you want it to be for you.
    Is it your daily driver?
    How much money you want to spend on it.
    Would you replace the parts yourself, or get a mechanic to do it.
    You are right with regard to replacing a piece at a time when one blows. Each time there's a replacement, the system has to be bled.
    Van Cafe have a silicone hose kit, and also the stainless steel pipes in the engine bay. Bus Depot have the stainless steel pipes that run under the length of the car. But be careful of import duty, you could get slugged.
    You probably need to find the source of the drip, and go from there.
    If the car is off the road till winter, this might be a good time to do the work.
    I hope this helps.
    Gerry.

3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Why not just replace the hoses that generally fail or the suspect looking ones and carry spares? You could be replacing quality with rubbish.

I'd prefer rubber to silicon.

4. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

Im going through the same thing myself. I really like my van but it's not a good enough example to be anything special.

I'm looking at getting the GoWesty long coolant pipe repair kit to strengthen the ends, which is the place where the long plastic pipes break http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=73 to avoid paying obscene amounts of money for stainless pipes here or getting them imported.

I'd heard from Andy Ho that the Van Café hose kit is superior because the hoses for better. Some of the hoses in the GoWesty set are for other cars and are a bit of a bigger to fit. But I will be going with the GoWesty thermostat housing because their kit includes a do-da to recalibrate the temperature gauge.

The T-distribution tower is also prone to failure so I'll replace that with a stainless part but I'm not sure about the other pipes in the engine bay, at the back of the engine.

Does anyone know if they need to be replaced? I'm not even sure which are metal and which are plastic!

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

hairyman likes this.
  6. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

This kit has been down grades as it came with the correct spring tension hose clamps when I bought mine many years ago.

7. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

I saw that the pictures on the GoWesty technical article include new spring clamps and screw clamps. Surely I can just reuse the original spring clamps?

8. hairyman

hairyman Active Member

Also, that's the picture for the syncro version. Look at the kit contents listing for 2wd and 4wd kits http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=3643

9. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

The hoses are out there. Vw heritage also stock a fair bit but the price is a little steeper.
    I agree with silicon vs rubber. I've not had a water leak in the whole time I've owned the van.
    The spares will be the good hoses left from changeover. Why not just do the whole lot and be happy and worry free?
    Trouble is if you go on holiday to the middle of nowhere, or anywhere pretty much and you need a hose on your travels, it's going to be a bit crap parking up for 10-14 days waiting for the mail man before you even get to the mechanics to fix it.
    This is the trouble with the T25, and I feel our days are numbered on this van somewhat. I've nick named it an internet van. Seeing as most things have to be obtained from the net.
    Kinda makes an average Holden commodore look a bit more appealing when push come to tow, and you can just walk in any parts store and get what you want. Also could be a waste of rego at times while your waiting for some minor part to arrive.
    The van used to be my daily run about a few years back. Now I'm slotting it in second place and treating it more as a project vehicle to get a bit more life out of it in the long run.
    I have thought about selling it too but I'd love to see it make it to classic car status in 2 years time when it hits 30 years old and have it sitting with fresh parts ready to go.
    Becoming a tough call but it's been super reliable and have had many adventures around Australia in it. I know we shouldn't get to attached to things, but I think there will come a time.
    Also the value just seems to be going up each year, which is kinda encouraging to keep it going as best you can. Least it seems this vehicle is rewarding for the effort compared to alot out there.
    Solid running machine though. Built like a tank. They just don't make modern cars like they used to.
    Would be a total bonus if airbags could be fitted somehow as well. Maybe they can. I've not looked into it....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

Forgot to answer the why not change a broken hose and refil as they wear question by Syncro?
    My calculations tell me using g12++ is $120 a fill roughly.
    If I changed say 5 small $30 hoses over a period of time and replenish the coolant each time, I've still spent $600 in coolant for 5 changes.
    Makes sense to me to spend the coin on pipes rather than coolant. Coolant is always available. The hoses may not be...

11. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

hairyman likes this.
  12. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

Nice one on the coolant
    Back to the hoses, for a complete set,
    what's missing from the above kit?
    Attempting to gather everything up.
    Cheers

13. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

The kits don't look like they include the heater hoses - you can buy 5/16 heater hose from Repco or SCA for around $8 per metre and you need around 8m.

Also you refer to 16 litres of coolant in an earlier post - you only need about half of this (can't remember exact amount) because you mix with water.

14. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Who says that the new hoses will be better than the old ones? I think that your missing my point here. Normally (not always) you see when a hose needs replacing and you don't lose much coolant.

New doesn't always mean better.

15. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The one that I have for sale has the original spring clamps. It cost me a lot more than $50.

16. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

50/50 mix of coolant.
    8 of distilled water and 8 coolant is 16ltr.
    You're right and so am I ha!
    $20.80 last time I looked in vw solitaire for G12++ for 1.5ltr.
    6 bottles is going to be $124.80 then distilled water which I think I saw 10ltr for $10 in sprint auto.
    Have seen Penrite make a coolant for Vw (Pink one) and that's looking about $60-$80. Bit cheaper.
    Really though, whatever bottom section hose you change, and then if you flush, your looking at minimum $100 to start with I'd say.
    Sucks that the leak I want to fix is the lowest part of the cooling system so may as well flush it. If it was on the upper section, maybe not so bad and I could keep a bit of coolant in still. Due to flush anyway so that's no biggie. For the price it's maybe worth catching the coolant. Filter it a bit and reuse it if it's not done many km. Environmental minded people might then bow to your thrifty ways, and cook you a vegan and gluten free trendy meal for your efforts. :D
    Coolants the easy and available bit tho! Stop avoiding the main point! Ha!:p

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    hdj80 likes this.
  17. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Hey beastieboy, perhaps give the vancafe complete kit a go as it clearly states that it is complete except for a couple of front heater hoses which most people dont replace because its dash out stuff. My experience with Vancafe is if they say it is something then it is. You stop avoiding the issue and pull the trigger on the purchase. :)

18. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

Syncro your right making that point. But I'm thinking down the track a bit when aftermarket manufacturers stop making them all together.
    I can see this causing hassles and stopping our vans from being usable in future. Only alternative I see is the Subaru conversion or something and totally change the whole setup. Modernisation may be the overall answer in the end. Don't know how well that sits with the genuine part types and people who like authenticity.

19. beastieboy

beastieboy Member

Luckyphil - Waiting on an email from van Cafe for shipping.... Phoned them on Saturday (Friday there). Might buz them in the morning and see what's up.
    I do prefer gowestys website. Least they have a shipping calculator to work out the overall cost on the spot, but lacking a couple of things.

20. nils

nils Well-Known Member

You know,... you can clamp a hose further upsteam and avoid dumping the whole lot every time ;)

syncro likes this.