1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling hose total replacement

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by beastieboy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Here are the VW part numbers for 2wd.

Attached Files:

• 21b.pdf
      File size:
      58.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Maybe they got a bad vibe from you and didn't waste their time... Seems to be a bit of attitude on this thread towards people trying to help you...

Grantus and Luckyphil like this.
  3. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

My attitude was to just state what happened in reality, and not go on about it foul mouthing the company. I see plenty of that on forums. I'm not going to go on about it for days on end bagging them, and no doubt I'll have to return to them someday for a part (somehow?).
    I can see the way I wrote it could be taken 2 ways, but not intended to show any attitude or offend you personally. Just stating I said my piece about what happened and I had moved on since.
    Lack of customer service can get someone fired from their job. I cannot force them to give me a quote. They are supposed to take my money and hand me the goods like shops do. This didn't happen though. Maybe they have enough money already or something? Not exactly overly difficult in my opinion to send an email really, and even if they can't assist, let the customer know or obviously they are not going to remain a loyal customer and take their business elsewhere.
    If I sold parts I'd be attempting to go that bit more above and beyond for my international customers and show a level of professionalism in handling long distance orders and enquiries.
    If I was stranded in the middle of the Northern Territory, and desperately in need of a part from them to get out of strife, is it cool to be left hanging for a week? I'd say no, and yes they would deserve a good blasting down the phone in my opinion and at the same time ask what they are playing at?
    Fortunately the van is in the driveway chilling.... so they are off the hook this time. All they need to do is their job. It's not like I'm bartering back and forth to screw them out of a few bucks. Says on their website in checkout "We will quote you for shipping on this item."
    From my experience that is a lie.
    I did nothing different to any other customer, and followed their instructions online. Got nothing out of it 6months ago on my first attempt to order from them.
    Second time round I politely called them to prevent the run around and copped the same deal. Nowt mate.
    If it's attitude they want and people talking about it online they should keep it up hey!? That's just how business is these days unfortunately. That said, I'm still prepared to be third time lucky, but if they don't come through, or don't even give a general response like E.g sorry that part is currently out of stock OR we don't ship items to Australia via USPS, then forget it pretty much. There are easier places to deal with elsewhere with zero hassle.
    I would never have known the site existed if it wasn't for this forum and I took peoples advice based on their experience. I'm sorry mine was not the same and am a bit inclined to say don't waste your time.
    I would however highly recommend Gowestys website. They are solid. Part of my order wasn't even in stock and they notified me they would ship it separately when it came in, so it would not hold up the rest of the order. That's what I call customer service!
    Back in the day, before the internet, I learnt the money brought into a state in Australia, from as little as 7 international tourists, is equivalent to 50+ interstaters. I'd be looking after the overseas customer $$$ now that shopping overseas via the internet is now possible.
    No attitude towards anyone trying to help me. I appreciate all input, I've ended up answering a few things for myself on here too. I don't expect anyone to come round my house and do the job for me. I enjoy tinkering and learning to do things myself and generally being practical minded. I'm not loaded with coin so I don't have the choice to fork out and pay someone while I kick back. I take on as much of the work as possible.
    I also appreciate Syncro sending me the hose diagram. I had viewed it online elsewhere, but could not zoom in on things, so that really helped. Syncro is a legend for doing that for me, as simple as it was.
    A while back someone on here was travelling and their window wiper did a 360. It was raining and all they needed was an exploded diagram to figure it out. I scanned a pic out of the Haynes manual to assist the bloke. Kombi club is a great place to share info. I don't expect to be classed as a national treasure for helping anyone out. I think that's just what you do on here. Share experiences, help people out and return the favour when you can and be generous with information when possible. Don't stand by arrogant having a laugh within your own private club when someone's pulling their hair out in strife. Give the fella a hand if possible. You will find attitude on here, you just have to know how to deal with it and it's usually by being of assistance. I'll admit I'm not on here 24/7 trying to own the forum. I roll in for info occasionally. If someone asked me for help and I had the info I'd gladly share. I'm serious about getting things done. I don't want to be mucked around as I won't be mucking around if someone needed a hand. I'm not going to sit online feeling like king S@#t all knowledgeable in secret while I laugh at someone struggling to find their way. That's my input into this, I don't show off my van to get a self esteem boost from strangers. I prefer to learn about fixing stuff. I post threads occasionally so someone in the future can maybe get something out of it.
    (Rant off)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    David H likes this.
  4. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

I also see the other user hairyman is in the same boat with this too and he is struggling a bit. I'll be happy to help him out with anything if possible with this thread.
    Only tricky things I see doing this job are the coolant refill and obtaining the parts at a reasonable price, and having not done it before I have to identify the newer replacement hose setups. (Syncro's diagram is about 50 pieces to the whole piping system).
    I can hold a set of grips and undo a hose clamp and remove a hose. No issue there. I've done some more patience testing jobs on other cars, one example is a Mazda BP motor cooling system, (323/MX-5/Laser Engine, love this 1.8 ltr motor, absolutely flies for a 4 banger) changing water pump and timing belt (water pump is behind the timing belt). Undoing layers of the motor to gain access, then having about 2 inches of space to get a rachet in, and sliding the water pump in a gap that's smaller than the part is tricky. Top that off with removing engine mounts and bracing the motor, while the whole car is on stands in the back yard, and your rolling round on concrete with bare basic tools. The kombi is looking like a walk in the park in comparison!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I blew a hose once, on a surplus bus here, and knowing the complications of bleeding, I just rang NRMA for a "free" tow to my mechanics shop, included in my membership.

I rang and asked for a tow truck, to speed up the process, but was told they have to send out a road service vehicle first, to assess. WHATEVER!!!!

The NRMA car pulls up, and he said he was looking at the vehicle request on his screen on the way out, and when he saw VW T3, and the problem, he wondered why he was he being sent. Even if he could replace the hose, he wouldn't be allowed the time to properly bleed the air out of one of, if not THE most difficult vehicle to properly bleed all the air out of the cooling system.

He said he'd sort a towie straight away, and did. ;)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  6. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Haha! I think years ago if you were with the raa you used to get 7 call outs (now reduced to 4, probably because of me ha!).
    Had an old 1988 E.A falcon on duel fuel about 20 years ago (This vehicle put me off cars altogether until I got my kombi.) Somehow managed to crack 3 heads in 18 months on this falcon but they were notorious for it. No cooling system could save them (Repairs were through the roof).
    Fuel pump packed in (twice fixed) and the gas gauge was faulty. Used to run out of gas in strange places and used tow trucks on every call out that year to get towed to a servo. Hated that car but needed it as I was an apprentice bricklayer at the time so it would get loaded up with cement and scaffold planks e.c.t. and always be lugging weight.
    Someone needs to invent the LPG jerry can!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

There's your problem.

8. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Totally agree. Worst Ford ever made Imo.

9. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

My attitude can't be that bad. Getting there... DSC_0052.JPG DSC_0052.JPG

Still waiting on a few more. Keeping my courier in a job that's for sure! He loves it : )

10. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

11. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

12. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Scored these from Aldi of all places this week. $5 a kit for 26 clamps so I grabbed 2 packs. Unsure if I'll need use them but better to have something clamping a hose rather than nothing if a couple of clamps have lost their grip and need replacing. Lots of different sizes in there. If not used for the Kombi I'll use them on my other cars or something I guess.
    Think Repco slugged me $5 for 2 clamps a while back so thought this was alright. I'll be checking them against other automotive clamps to see if the quality is the same and make sure they are not too flimsy, but sure they will have there uses somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
    Spending heaps on replacement parts then using $5 box of clamps more suited as bin filler.??
    If I was cynical I might be wondering why the falcon fried its goolies 3 times.??

nils likes this.
  14. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Still got my old clamps mate.
    Cheap shot champions in the comment section. My hero...
    Jeez, you lot are in the best moods at the moment. Go get yourselves a girlfriend and chill out (or boyfriend if your that way inclined, let's not be sexist now). Getting critical as.... on here.
    Is this some tall poppy syndrome or something? Grumpy keyboard warriors...
    Your all hardcore aye!? Hardly a "community" attitude I'm feeling here.
    I'm being polite too, couple of things I'd like to type, but if your complaining now I don't reckon you can take the heat.
    "Ohhh he's got some cheap hose clamps."
    Now we're all hose clamp experts are we?
    I got 4 cars and a motorbike, I'll use them on air intakes or something or maybe whatever the hell I'd like to use them on.
    Go on, next comment, have a cry and stuff and feel manly. Whatever puffs your chest up....
    I apologise for being so ground breaking and unorthodox, it's upsetting isn't it?LMFAO! Glad I'm stirring you up online unknowingly.
    Only a couple of helpful people so far on this thread here, which I tip my hat to in respect, and am greatful they posted. I Shout out to those people, your legends and your approach is appreciated. If you have helped me out with second hand parts in the past, you're a top bloke. The rest commenting and spouting b.s are just blowing smoke up their own skirts. Go file for divorce or something or relieve your sexual frustrations elsewhere mate. Ha!
    Manners cost you nothing, and I'm sure there are other new owners of vans who will end up going through the same process as me at some point. I never joined here to have a go at anyone or get a laugh out of a newbie or a learner, or express myself in a way to show I know more than you and you should listen to me. Aggressive I'm right and your wrong type posting. Low life arrogant people do that to put a feather in their hat and feel 1up on the forum and up their status mentally. Some of the people commenting here definitely have the right approach and generosity when delivering information and it's educating to hear it, and I fully appreciate it as much as the next bloke seeking information. That's what I'd like to see on this thread, not sarcastic bs, but if you want it that way I'll gladly join in. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  15. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Comments are variable.
    From encouragement for people to have a go to taking the piss with each other.
    Long winded explanations to saying something is BS .
    I was partly having a stir and partly suggesting that most of these cheap packets of screw type clamps are crap.

With cooling being an important and often problematic issue I personaly wouldnt be risking cheap clamps.
    Yes I have used them many times prior, some of that design are functional and some absolute crap.

The suggestion to go a quality product was serious.
    And as a side comment an indication to readers to consider attention to using good parts and, in the broad sense, not consider everything posted as kosher.
    The thing in my mind was people using these cheap clamps on fuel lines and the numerous dodgy results.
    In that application I only use best quality efi type fuel line clamps.
    Attention to detail does pay off.

16. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use them.

Volkswagen use spring clamps for a reason.

17. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

I appreciate the netiquette.
    As well as the advice and your point is taken.
    I much appreciate the kind words and assistance. :)
    Some people would get further if they chopped their fingers off and typed with a stump Imo.
    Anyways, let's not get too flustered and carried away. I generally prefer to make friends rather than foes.
    Thankyou kindly for the input. :)

David H likes this.
  18. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

19. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

The main advantage of using spring clamp bands, like what VW issued, is that they don't cut into and damage the hose, like the screw tight ones, and they can expand slightly as the hose does with heat, but still retain the same clamping pressure whether hot or cold. ;)

And yes, you'll need a tool beyond a screwdriver, to fit or remove them.

hairyman and Luckyphil like this.
  20. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

You guys make me laugh. I like that. :) Have a bit of fun on here for sure.
    I agree with the spring clamp bands having allowance for expansion for heat.
    From memory some clamps fit the 6 or 8mm spanner if you want to tighten it up solid and crush the hose. Ha!
    On my van the part number 251.121.104 T shaped mallet looking hose, is screw clamped.
    What about your vans people? Same deal? That's where the leak was dripping and I did tighten it up. Previous owner may have replaced and swapped the clamp. Dunno?