1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling hose total replacement

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by beastieboy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Spring Clamp, but hey its your van and you can use whatever you like :)

Grantus and Gerry and Robyn like this.
  2. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Ok cool. Cheers for the confirmation. I'll change that on my way through the system when the time arrives.

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Nice summation of the frustration one can feel with 'disrespectful on line businesses' & trying to achieve your objective/s.
    No 'attitude' seen here other than 'lack of respect for the customer' by businesses.:( I've also experienced that.:(
    And some forum responses that are unhelpful.:eek:
    Your case is so well stated.:D:D:D
    Time to remember that Kombi Groove!:cool::cool:
    Nice that we ALL help each other. :cool:
    Cheers

4. David H

So if something costs $20 is it better than the one that costs $5? How is this judged?:rolleyes:. I've paid lot's for stuff that's crap & little for stuff that's been excellent.;)
    Cheers,

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    beastieboy likes this.
  5. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I'd follow Col, Phill,Phil and Grant's advice......I've met them all and can attest to their experience and judgement calls......be careful rubbishing comments from folks you have never met, or know about..... A common trap for players on forums.....and all the more reason to get to an event and put a face to a name....:rolleyes:
    Cheers,
    Mark

beastieboy and Gerry and Robyn like this.
  6. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

It's no crime to be a leaner though is it? I take your advice, I just see no reason to take the smart remarks along with it which is why I unleashed a bit.
    Ok so there are knowledgeable heads on here, I'll pay that. But if your teaching people the know how, there is the approach to nurture and encourage, not put down and punish. I agree with putting the face to the name too, but that works both ways also when dealing with people on here who start threads. Like I said, someone in future will click on this to try and get something out of it (funny!).
    Some experts are good at what they do, but only a few are able to be the top tutors. It's the approach that counts more than the knowledge sometimes. People learn in different ways E.g some do well by reading manuals, some are more hands on, and the delivery of such knowledge is what reaps the results and determines the retention of the information.
    I'm as much a user to the forum as anyone else, so I see no status in it if you have been here for 5Min as a newbie or you have been here for 10 years.
    Also....
    I wouldn't say an aldi hose clamp is why the head cracked on the EA falcon 3 times. I'd say it's more down to possibly the mechanic who fitted it (not me, cost me $800-$900 a visit) but more likely the way Ford cast the head in manufacture.

Quote - "Overheating in EA EB Falcons is commonly caused by casting sand left in the block which eventually clogs the radiatior. Ford deny it and blame it on the fact that the coolant hasn't been changed regularly.
    My local rad shop demonstrated it to me 6 years ago, he had a constant supply
    of Falcon radiators to clean out - from the Ford dealership. Each one of them
    he poked out the tubes with wire and ended up with half a cup of white sand
    like polyfilla....."
    Maybe that's why it cracked hey? :D Just saying.....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  7. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Top comment. Hats off to the moderator for such wise words. Was never the plan, and still isn't, to rubbish people I don't know on the forum, and should be vice versa regardless. I would actually like to be the adult I am, and say my apologies to anyone who took things to heart during conversation on here. I'm totally cool to man up enough about it (and hope others have the organs between their legs to do the same if you've not done already), and as stated, was never the intention to tarnish anyone when this thread started, otherwise it would have a completely different title to it. Hope everyone has the same attitude. Let's not get carried away just because we are behind screens in our own little houses and act like we are in our early teens or something aye!? We all might have a little tradie attitude in us, and the common goal of tinkering with our vans to keep them ticking. But last thing a "Club community" needs is it turning into some macho mechanic competition. If you want to do that, buy a Holden and join Just commodores! (Jokes- that's actually a great forum for info also). Nuff said I think. Let's continue on topic....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  8. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

The LPG would of helped.

9. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Yep, burns at a higher temp. Just what you need when your trying to cool things. I've been a bit 50/50 on LPG ever since, although a friend ran an RX7 rotary on LPG, and swore by it, as it was already a vapour. Reckons the rotary loved it.

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Its judged with the advantage of an understsnding of what fits description of a suitably designed part and experience in seeing how crap parts fail.
    Having bought a box of said parts I back my original post fully.

And I have often stated the caveat that I am not a mechanic.
    But I do favour myself as an amatuer student of human behaviour and back the comment alluding to some unskilled bright ideas being the cause if mechanical failure.
    Patterns don't lie.

Part of the learning / teaching process is correction of misinformation.
    Naturally this does not always find fertile ground.

There is often a reason for certain design features or specifications.
    This is why people study to learn their trades.
    An amateur would be well advised to follow the factory specs until they have sufficient understanding of all relevent parameters to allow them to overrule the original engineers calculations.

And I think some folks would back my claim when I say that my comments to peoples faces re quality of work is often much more detailed and acerbic .

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    syncro likes this.
  11. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

I agree with seeing the actual thing your repairing and comments according to it when discussing it online. As stated with the hose clamp, previous owner fitted it to my van for whatever reason, maybe lost while repairing or it may have been broken. Had we sorted that out from the beginning it might have saved us all arguing/debating over it, but at the end of the day we got there, and that's the main thing in my opinion.
    I've seen youtube videos of fuel line/filter replacement and watched a mechanic remove the fuel line held on by screw clamps. Dodgy and a possible fire hazard if it becomes loose. I refitted mine with the crimp clamps, same as what came out the factory (what was originally there), as the hose replaced was still the original from 1989 and needed a screwdriver to lever it open by bending it or breaking it to remove it. A one time use clamp. Initially I thought what's stopping someone from draining fuel out the tank if you use a screw clamp?
    So what you see is not always concrete when buying a used car or seeing someone else's example of how it's done. So I can back your claim on that cbus, in regards to factory spec. Pays to double check otherwise you're non the wiser and just replace what you already see infront of you. Obviously a person will cop random comments as to why your doing it, but that can be from no fault of their own, just going off what's already fitted. Online, I guess that all comes down to a lack of communication on both sides at the end of the day. A more thorough explanation, or better yet, pictures (so people can see what you're doing or working on) can solve it all, before we jump in with assumptions, fixes or putdowns.
    Also, it's easy to presume a screw clamp could be used on a cooling pipe, and is acceptable to do so in some situations. Take the average Holden commodore for example. It's the most common Australian car, and you only have to pop the bonnet and look down at the radiatior to spot one in use, as well as them being used on the power steering line. So most people would presume it's suitable and go with it, but I appreciate the heads up in relation to the T3 and what Vw use.
    Alot has happened since the 1980's that's for sure!;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  12. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

If someone needs to remove fuel from my tank, as they can't afford to buy their own, as long as just take the fuel, without damaging anything else.....they are welcome to it. ;)

13. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

True. Small price to pay really....

14. beastieboy

beastieboy Active Member

Ok. Got a point I'd like to ask that may resolve my van Cafe issue as I'm noticing a bit of a pattern going on in USA when attempting to obtain parts.

Been attempting to shop for a few things on Samba. Contacted 3 sellers and have instantly copped some interesting no sale emails. Funny enough all sellers were located in the USA.
    I have bought various things from alot of different countries around the world online. Never had an issue until I wanted Vw parts, then things seem to get a bit brick walled.
    (Coincidentally Van Cafe is also in America)
    Had 3 sellers reject purchases due to being burnt on international shipping and PayPal payments.
    All the overseas ignorance to us as buyers is starting to paint a bit of a picture for me. I copy pasted an email that was a bit stern I thought below...

Hello there.
    I have been burned too many times with international sales shipping with PayPal payments but I can sell you a set thru my eBay store as they have us to ship to an address in KY. and they handle the international shipping from there.

Sorry, I don't do international shipments any more after being burned too many times but my large local dealers does: http://www.piersideparts.net or PierSide Parts Unltd. in Huntington Beach, Calif. ... J-Bugs in Oceanside, Aikane parts in Anaheim, Calif....

Thank you, WBp.

Please understand that I'm a 1 man operation and sometimes I get buried in paid orders so it takes longer on the ship out date time. Plus only work week days...
    Please don't ask the day after you sent the PayPal payment "...if I got it, has it been shipped out yet and where's the tracking number" (USPS and UPS will auto e-mail send you the tracking number when shipped)?

If your PayPal account shows the funds was withdrawn and "accepted" by us, then yes we got the payment. PP has changed their e-mails to sellers and we can't response back to them.
    If your PP account says the payment was NOT accepted by us then more than likely you misspelled our e-mail addy...and the money is still in your account.
    But if you don't hear from us or haven't received the order within 10 work week days, please E-mail us nicely as I am human but rarely make mistakes.

How to make a PayPal payment:

PayPal account: (you can copy e-mail link her)werksberg@sbcglobal.net (or I can send you a PP billing), but please leave a MESSAGE at PayPal what the payment is for as my "Crystal Ball" is in the shop!

Click PayPal top tab "SEND MONEY"
    To: werksberg@sbcglobal.net

Select: "GOODS or Services" (NO payments as "gifts" as no ship to address and my PP seller protection)

Amount: Product price, Shipping stated in the ad listing and Calif. sales tax if you are in Calif. or it is being ship to a Calif. address.

Continue....

State in the message link: What you are buying by the part #, ship cost, plus your year & model of the vehicle, (area code) and phone number (for shipping company to use if they can't find you) and listed address is a home or business too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or made out to Werksberg Products - USPS Money Order / USA Check (has to clear before product ships) with products price, SHIPPING and if you are in Calif. the sales tax too:

Werksberg Products
    PO Box 931
    Garden Grove, Ca. 92842-0931

State what you are buying in the letter by the part #, product description, plus your year & model of the vehicle, list a return address if a home or business, e-mail addy, (area code) and phone number too!

Thank you, WBp.
    --------------------------------

Full on! I wrote back saying sorry to hear and I will pass completely on any purchase in order to be of zero hassle.

So van Cafe bailing out on me and 3 other messages from sellers similar to this, is telling me some slick pr#cks seem to be spoiling the fun for us genuine buyers as well as impatient people emailing to ask why their parcel hasn't arrived from halfway around the world because 8 hours have already passed!
    How's the instructions on how to use PayPal? Dudes are getting shafted and it's rubbing off on people like me who are first time customers trying to get stuff.

Anyone else experience this?
    All starting to make sense a bit. Not good for them to have zero confidence in us when we just want spares for our vans.
    A minority ruining it for the majority it seems...
    Or
    It's because we are the land of convicts and they are aware of it haha!

On a lighter note....
    In regards to hoses for my thread, I'm still patiently waiting on 2 more parts to arrive from Europe to proceed....

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  15. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

If the exchange rate wasnt so poor I would order something from Vancafe just to prove you wrong. Again I state I have been buying parts from Vancafe for over 6 years and NEVER had a problem and in fact I have had parts that I bought from private sellers on Thesamba and had them sent to Vancafe and Vancafe sent them on to me. Vancafe will not respond to you with a firm shipping quote till you confirm the order. Then they will send you a payment invoice usually within 24 hours confirming the cost and then you can pay for the goods. Dont know why you insist on giving bad press to this fantastic supplier. Perhaps its you. I remember a few years ago I offered you a free part and you treated me like I was going to come round and rob you so say no more

syncro, Gerry and Robyn and Grantus like this.
  16. nils

nils Well-Known Member

I have ordered and received parts from the van cafe since this thread was started, not sure what problem you are having mate?
    [​IMG]

Gerry and Robyn and Grantus like this.
  17. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

They've always been good, efficient and easy for me too.

Mmmmm, COOKIES! :D

Gerry and Robyn likes this.
  18. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

I order stuff from Van Cafe cos I get cookies!
    What's not to like?

19. David H

There seems to be some movement from USA suppliers towards distrust of overseas internet purchasers. They obviously have some experience & reason for their decisions;). I've experienced it.
    Had to send stuff to my brother to get it to newcastle by his 'forward'.
    All businesses make their decisions about the 'markets' they serve & this is just an example of their decision. Yep..frustrating for us:rolleyes:!
    Cheers

beastieboy likes this.
  20. David H

Cookies on your table or your browser!
    Cheers
    P.S. I like real cookies:D