1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona virus Legacy

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Luckyphil, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Some of the changes being implemented by employers to maintain services during the Corona virus will not be rolled back after it is all over. Working from home becoming the norm, streamlining procedures and removing red tape. The death of paper based transactions. The last nail in using Australia Post. That is what is going on where I work how about you.

2. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Trialling a lot of phone consults instead of having patients coming in to the practice - it's ok if the patient is a regular and is a follow up but I can't see it working well with new patients - especially in the speciality where I am with pain management - a lot of them just want drugs. I am really uncomfortable being there at the moment.

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I'm in pain for not being able to get to Bus Stop @ Dubbo with you lot. What you got;) @melissa?
    To be serious Laurens consulting job is also changing ATM. Phone only....working on 'face time' counselling.
    Cheers:D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  4. Luckyphil

I was bragging to my son how I ran several meetings today from home via Skype. He cut me down by saying his company hadnt used Skype for years but using Google and other browser tools and something called SLAK for instant messaging. I got some back though, I told him to catch up mate, the Public Service has been SLAK for years :)

5. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Seems that T3 weekend has reenergised you @Luckyphil ;):).
    Cheers

6. 68BUS

68BUS Well-Known Member

I washed my hands after using the jackhammer today.

Luckyphil likes this.
  7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for us our wedding business has all but shut down for the time being.
    The grass however keeps growing , the hedges are are still growing but have already lost a few clients who are now out of work and I do a lot of air bnb and holiday homes and they are dropping off like flies. Certainly sad and uncertain times. Have done a few free jobs for some good clients but that’s not sustainable. Just need to keep going and hope this all comes good sooner rather than later.

TeeBee likes this.
  8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Very concerning times for myself and colleagues.....
    We are being told that online delivery will have to be implemented if TAFE is to remain open.
    I have no problem with supplementing face to face delivery with online modalities, however I teach Carpentry and Joinery.......how on earth will a student with little to no workshop experience supposed to learn a tactile skill set ?
    Sure, theory could be delivered online, however nothing replaces an experienced Teacher/mentor that demonstrates the what, how and when’s of both power and hand tool use. The techniques required to use joinery tools do not just “happen”......they must be practised, adjusted and practised many times before a level of proficiency is attained.
    This cannot happen in a virtual workshop.
    Many......no, none of our learners have the workshop facilities that we provide.......
    So, my concern is that more of our teaching will be forced online, replacing face to face delivery.
    Before anyone comments that it’s about modernisation, technologies etc. I’d ask that you recall your most influential teacher........and ask your self if their influence would have been as effective via a computer screen....
    An effective teacher motivates, inspires and educates.......they do not just present information.
    Cheers,
    Mark

9. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Im retraining myself via the sponsored government's 6 months+ paid annual leave from my job i dont like an $20 k withdrawal from the cyberspace super bank account that i may never use . Ill be focusing on buying a decent welder an practicing on my splitscreen project thats been in the garage for years. My mate across the road is a boiler maker an has said he'll come over an show me how to use his tig welder. I have a panel beater mate who will show me the art of applying paint on it in his now spare time. Once thats complete an the cars back in the shed ill be focusing on my training on internet search skills looking for parts that's needed an purchasing them using cashless transfers. Next i will be focusing on youtube videos on sorting out the mechanical stuff an rebuilding what i can.
    So with a bit of luck ill have my 65 westy back on the road an then i can use that for further training on improving my surfing skills up an down the coast till the pension kicks in...

10. Luckyphil

Difficult situation. Perhaps they will be building virtual houses for us to live in. My son is an apprentice electrician so guess he will be doing his TAFE component online soon as well.

11. oldman

Yes, very difficult, one cannot replicate handskills online....
    A bit like saying you can do it but when the crunch comes, you cannot actually carry out the task to stated performance requirements.
    Virtual houses are fine for virtual/simulated communities, however they do not deal with the realities of structure, form and function.......when physically occupied.
    We're on the same page.
    Cheers,
    Mark

12. Roo

Roo Active Member

Is it also true Mark that they’re trying to move to have RTO’s go to the employers workplace and do assessments on the job rather than attend tafe for the year? This idea has so many flaws in it. A lot of workplaces in the same trade work very different types of work. Eg. plumbers might only do drainage or maintenance or roofing or fitouts. Depends entirely on the employers focus for their business.

All the best to everyone that’s going to struggle through this tough period.

rstucke, David H and TeeBee like this.
  13. oldman

That has been thrown on the table.....but is flawed in so many areas, that i doubt it'll happen for the majority.
    Cheers,
    Mark

14. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Well-Known Member

I tried one of those self learning classes when I was having difficulties with the maths in the computing and electrical technology course I was doing at TAFE at the time. Hopeless, If I already know the subject then I wouldn't have needed to do the class anyway, if the teacher actually taught the subject to all the class I would have understood what the whole thing was all about, but how do you self learn calculus? It still doesn't make sense to me, as a result I dropped the whole course, yet I had top marks in all the other subjects.
    Sadly, TAFE is not what it once was and it will be even worse after this crap passes. Too many people who don't have a clue about the whole teaching thing are making the decisions from an office or at home now

T1 Terry

oldman and TeeBee like this.
  15. oldman

Amen.....
    Cheers,
    Mark