1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct carby numbers

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Farky66, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey folks,
    Just wondering if someone can help me out with my carbys to tell me if they are the correct ones. The numbers stamped on the bottom are vw511-1 and vw512-1 with also stamped on both of them. I have a 2l manual 76 bay. The reason I am questioning this is I have put a 2l accelerator cable in and it is wayyy too long. I have also already thrown my old cable out so can't compare anything to it :(

Latest update:
    So I found an old thread and my carbies seem the right ones for my year...so leaves me wondering how can my accelerator cable be too long?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Can you mark the cable with a texta at the length you need and measure it,that way you will have a length to compare.The part No I have is 214 721 555AD(the red tag on the cable will read 433 430) There are a lot of different cables to suit various engine available.I am sure that I have a cable to suit if you need it.

3. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey grumble, that's a good idea, I will do that tomorrow. The part number of the cable I have is 433 430 so must be the right one then. Cheers for that I will let you know if i do need a shorter one.
    I'm thinking the most likely thing is I have put the linkage bar on wrong as its been a while since iv put it together. I have tried every possible way I could think of though. I have attached some photos of how it's set up at the moment. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  4. grumble

grumble Well-Known Member

Farky the linkage will only fit one way and i can see that the deceleration valve lever is above the damper on the L/H carb,measure the length and I'll check the one that I have . As I said there are a lot of possible cables for the different engine combinations.

5. Farky66

Farky66 Member

So i cut the cable I had to the correct size today (just temporary to get my motor started). I then went and put the end of the cable in a really good spot so I could find it later but now cant remember where I put it :rolleyes:
    I will take the cable out tomorrow and give you an accurate measurement though, sorry about the delay.

Cheers
    Lochie

6. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

looks like a 1600 cable.

7. Farky66

Farky66 Member

I measured the cable and it was about 17cms shorter than the 2L cable. Does this sound like a 1600? Also, Im still confused about why my cable is too long even though carbs and engine are 2L and the linkage at the front looks stock.

8. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

is there a vw part number on the bag?

What length is the new cable?

9. Farky66

Farky66 Member

The part number on both new cables are 433 430 which has a length of 3.76 m. I measured the cable length I need and that is 3.6 m. Does this sound like I need a 1600 cable?