1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost for an oil cooler

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by cammokombi, Sep 26, 2008.

1. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Can anyone tell me what sort of costs to expect if I ask my mechanic to put in some sort of oil cooling device? What do I need to know?

Cammo.

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Type 2 or Type 4 engine?

3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Cammo I got this from an earlier thread of mine
    http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread.php?t=11315&highlight=oil cooler

4. VWFREAK

VWFREAK New Member

Soon adds up, a 92 core cooler with thermo fan will set you back $260-300AUD. Thats without tapping the case and everything else that goes along with the mod on a T1.

5. VWFREAK

VWFREAK New Member

George at Classic VeeDub has the kits.

6. jman

jman New Member

Empi

Check out the Empi kits. For type 1 engines.
    [​IMG]
    If you can drop your engine out yourself and have a bit of know how it's easy to fit.
    Cheers, J

7. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

thanks guys

ok thanks guys that gives me a bit of an idea before I go and talk to my vw guy.
    cammo.

8. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

I added up the bits required from Bernie Bergmann in the US, the link to his site being http://www.bergmannvw.net/external_oil_cooler_kits.htm

The kits use a 72 plate cooler with fan and external filter, via a spin on adapter to the oil filter mount. The total without hoses comes to US$303.95 which equates as of today on www.xe.com to AUS$363.49. I have emailed him to try to see if he sends to Australia, I will post again when I find this out.

I also spoke to my local vw guy, who says a ball park figure of around $400, he uses a 72 plate cooler with no fan says that the temp problem is not in town but on the highway so air flow is enough without the fan. i am not sure about this as I have had problems in town before. although up here where the traffic is minimal it is not bad. He also said that the last one he did was a few years ago, so not sure of current prices.

Cheers, Chris

9. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Ive been down this track many times along with Doc and ive posted my conversion on here in prev posts and so has Doc , i have done others since . I will give you one tip thou , Dont use any thing else than internal braided hydraulic hose and crimp fittings onto the hose and proper hydraulic screw in fittings hose clamps and cheep oil cooler fittings will cost you big time get the hoses done professionally thru a hydraulic hose shop

10. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

I agree with Tom it certainly could cost you dearly if the hoses came adrift

11. francispj

francispj Member

cooler alternative

I was in a wreckers and noticed all those transmission oil coilers seen on jap cars lying around the place . Could they be adapted to cool the engine oil or are the pipes too small?

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

No information
    Part of the design of an oil cooler is to maximize suface area exposed ..........do you really want a possibly dirty and clogged cooler to stuff up your van?