1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covering Door Cards

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Rev., Mar 31, 2008.

1. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Decided to start recovering Shirl's front door cards.

I used

2 x new cards from Roy at The Bus Stop - thanks Roy!
    [​IMG]

A can of Spray Adhesive & 2 meters of vinyl from Spot Light
    [​IMG]

Firstly I spread out the vinyl and marked out the door card - I left about 30mm so i had enough overlap to fold over the card and staple down.

[​IMG]

all cut out
    [​IMG]

2. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

After cutting out the vinyl I covered the door card with spray adhesive. Remember to put down plenty of paper as there is a bit of over spray – it also keeps the wife happy if your using the kitchen bench.

[​IMG]

I covered the door card by rolling the vinyl on from one side, trying to smooth out bubbles and ripples.
    [​IMG]

Once the vinyl was on the front side of the door card, and after allowing the glue to dry for about 20 minutes, I turned the card over and began to staple down the over lap. I used a staple gun with 6mm staples – I could just feel the staples under the vinyl so I tried an extra layer of vinyl which did the trick.

[​IMG]

The corners were a little tricky – I cut the vinyl around the corners to make it easier to staple down the vinyl without bunching it up.

[​IMG]

3. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

All done
    [​IMG]

Old door card
    [​IMG]

New door card
    [​IMG]

I used the screws and caps from Roy to fix the door card to the door.

As I reflect a little – I may change the colour from white to blue to better match the interior. But for now it's a huge improvement.

4. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Nicely done there, Rev! :)

That makes a huge improvement over the poor tired old door cards. Looking much better. :cool:

Julian.

5. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Thanks Julian

Rev.

6. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Very nice work Ian. They make such a difference. That was the first thing I did to Lola and with stainless steel screws, she looks the goods. :)

7. Shifter

Shifter New Member

Brilliant post Rev, I'm just about to do the same with Ruby south, with new door cards from Roy.

8. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

I did mine as well, cut my own panels out of 3mm mdf, brushed on contact, you can thin it a little for easy brushing with thinners or buy sprayable contact and brush it on

Attached Files:

9. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Rev and Splitbus..great job! :D
    Splitty I love the chrome trim on your cards, very classy.

I noticed both of you used different base material, which poses the question:
    Which do people prefer, mdf or masonite?

10. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Great job there splitbus - I like the two tone look and the chrome, very nice.

Mrs Rev now tells me that she would now like blue door cards :p

Rev.

11. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Handy hints section i think needs to be renamed as the 'rev section' love a good kitchen work shop story well done another sticky

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  12. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Mrs Rev wasn't all that pleased :)

Rev.

13. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Rev,

Looks good. Do the stainless screws go in the exiting holes? I'm trying to decide wheter to go the invisible clip route or not - I don't want to drill holes if I can help it.

Baz

14. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Hi Baz

No, the screws are much smaller than the holes. I tried to use the clips from the old door but the door cards from Roy and a lot thicker than the ones that came off and i felt that they didn't hold the new (much heaver) door cards on that well so I used the srews and caps from Roy.

BTW - Mrs Rev wants me to redo them in blue and white - she doesn't like the all white look - wish she would have told me before - probably had something to do with sticking news paper to the kitchen bench - not allowed to use the kitchen again either - I thought it made a great work bench :)

How's Janie 2 going?

Rev.

15. the invisible smith

Hi Rev,

Just an Idea.... instead of ripping out all the great work you've done, why not mask the area off that you want blue and spray it with blue vinyl dye. It'll save you a lot of time and money and it will still look just as good. (plus you'll keep mrs rev happy! :) )

Here's and example of what I mean:
    [​IMG]

Something to think about, it would be a shame to see all that time and effort go to waste.

16. Rev.

Rev. Active Member

Hi Craig

That awesome - never thought of vinyl spray. I'll defiantly look into that.

I like what you did with my door card.

Thanks

Rev.

17. the invisible smith

No problems.
    There's a few different blues available from different manufacturers.... you should be able to pick some up from between $11 and $17 each, depending on where you go.

Good luck! :)

18. obegil

obegil New Member

You may want to put some 6ml backing foam on the cards, THEN put your vinyl over it and staple. Gives it a more professional look about them

19. malibu

malibu Member

Rather than use staples , i used a hot glue gun.Much easier and still looks great.

20. pyoties bro

pyoties bro Member

great thread!!
    is there any otehr way to attach teh door card without using the bolts and scrwes?? i would much prefer a more stealthier look, rather than heving all those screws showing... any suggestions?