Covering Door Cards

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Rev., Mar 31, 2008.

1. pyoties bro

pyoties bro Member

also...do people have any preference for putting speakers in the doors or in the kick pannels???
    i was just wondering about water getting in behind the door and effecting the speakers?? has anyone had an experience with this happening?

2. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

I've used velcro instead of screws, I did it as more of a trial thing but I've had it up a month and still seems to be holding fine.

To make sure the velcro stayed attached to the panels, I stapled gun the hook section to the back of the panels (I've used it for all of my panels, the screw for the window winder helps the door cards stay even more effectively in place).

Brought about 10 metres of velcro from Bunnings, it was about $20-$30 for 10 metres. The only problem is you need to buy two packets, as one is the hook, the other is the loop. Think it cost me about $50 to do all 9 panels in my kombi.

3. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Speakers and water dont generally go well together.

To reduce the problems put a sheet of plastic between the door card and the door with only cut outs for the door handle and window winder.

Or you can get speakers with plasticised cones.

Hey Miss leah the velcro is a great idea! Good thining 99 :)

You can also get sticky backed velcro as well.

4. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

Thanks Bernie :)

Yeah I got the super sticky backed velcro and I found that it stuck to the metal sections not a problem. However, when the other side was stuck on the vinyl, the velcro tended to peel off even the lightest panels (behind seat panels). Stapling it made sure the velcro stayed on the vinyl and I haven't had a problem since.

5. mickey

mickey New Member

great job.
    We did all of our door cards, front and back. Tried with the 6mm staples but got tired of the protruding through the other side. (Your idea was great, wish I had thought of that.

in the end, gave up on the staples and purchased some qwik grip and it worked like a treat even around the inside edges.

Our speakers are mounted on the front door cards, to some them getting wet as our doors take in some water, we lined the inside of the door cards with garbage bag liners and gaffa taped the bag liner to the door card. Works really well.

6. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

Just another small thing to add to this thread, I actually covered my panels first in an insulation from Bunnings as well. It was a big long roll (probably about 10 metres) covered in a gold foil, I think it was for use under floating floors but it acts as a moisture and sound barrier (probably not as well as Dynamat, but every little bit helps).

I covered all my panels in that first, then covered in vinyl from Spotlight.

Cost of recovering 9 panels:

*new panels http://www.justkampersaustralia.com...ls-type-2-august-1967-to-may-1979-j18351.html. Also comes with screws for the panels. $260

*9 metres of vinyl (I only needed probably about 6 metres) - $135.00

* Gold foiled insulation - $50

Recovering the panels yourself is a great way to refresh your kombi. It's simple and alot cheaper than paying someone to recover them (I had a quote for $1100 for all nine panels, I want to get them done professionally one day but DIY still looks great)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  7. Miss Leah

Miss Leah Member

Know how you feel, the insulation I used took away that problem of protruding staples EXCEPT my tail panel has no insulation and I regularly stab myself on that :umm:

8. mickey

mickey New Member

If anyone is interested in the precut MDF panels, JustKampersAustralia sell most of the panels, with pre drilled holes etc. All you need to do is cover them in your desired material.

We purchased the tail gate one and the sliding door one at a good price, but I did see all of the other panels on their website. Saves having to drill all new holes in your MFD panels.
    Anything to make the job easier.

9. mickey

mickey New Member

Whoops I just looked at your post Leah, you already mentioned the MFD precuts from JKA.

10. pyoties bro

pyoties bro Member

yeah good thinking on the insulation....JB HIFI also sell a sound insulator material...its a bit costly, but apparently is the best out there for noise reduction, i.e they sell ti to people who want to deck out their boots etc when they buy new stereo systems.
    i cant wait to get cracking on my interior now! just gota find some time....

11. MY74VW

MY74VW Member

I use 3mm ply from bunnings. $30 for a sheet 2400mm x 1200mm. I traced the old door cards and cut the ply with a stanley knife. I drilled the holes in the orig locations & used the old clips. I covered with 3mm high density foam from clarke rubber first and cut holes over the clips so they don't show lumps in the vinyl which I used to cover the foam. I also used a hot glue gun to glue the vinyl on the back of the card.

Paul.

12. Friedo

Friedo Member

Hi
    Just wondering whether the backing foam (high density) is glued to the board; and then the vinyl glued to the backing foam?

Cheers

13. Friedo

Friedo Member

Hi
    Just wondering whether the backing foam (high density) is glued to the board; and then the vinyl glued to the backing foam?

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  14. MY74VW

MY74VW Member

Yes I glue the foam to the board and then the vinyl to the foam using quick grip in a spray can.

Paul

15. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

Excellent, excellent, excellent.....I am so doing this! Has anyone done vynal at bottom and say...velvet/velour fabric at the top? Would like this in rear sleeping quarters...ooooooh...a boudoir bedroom! My creative mind is going into overdrive with what could be achieved in using different materials/fabrics!!

16. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I did suede bottom and top and a woven tweed type of fabric in middle on Little Red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

Melissa....NOW that is what I'm talking about....that looks fabulous! Hmmmm.....Dynamat also I see. Thank you for posting. I like the idea of doing something unique and a little bit different. 10 points for imagination Melissa! Endless really isn't it?