1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COVID-19

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TeeBee, Mar 24, 2020.

1. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

I decided I would get some jobs around the house done while we're all 'socially distancing' ourselves. Only problem was, that I needed to go to Bunnings for supplies. Thus ensued a few hours of mental torment over whether or not I should be leaving the house and going to a potentially virus infested store! I have never thought so much about whether or not I would go to Bunnings! In the end I ended up going. There's been no cases diagnosed around my area (yet!) and I thought it better to go earlier than later. When I got back, I scrubbed my hands like I was a surgeon. Phew, I feel exhausted. I won't be going back for some time. That was too stressful. :confused:

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I’m off to Bunnings tomorrow, for the same sort of supplies, for when the “lock down” happens. :rolleyes:

I wonder how the people who’ve had a dose of COVID-19, and fully recovered feel? It’s highly unlikely they’ll be reinfected anytime soon, with so many shops and social events are now closed and cancelled, yet they have very little to be concerned about... o_O

TeeBee likes this.
  3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

I get where you're coming from @TeeBee. I think there is a fair bit of 'second guessing' ATM. I had to go mind the grand kids for a while today & it's hard to soothe a baby without contact. Boy did that pram rock;). Didn't see daughters text that it was okay to cuddle as necessary & thankfully he settled.
    Cheers

TeeBee and chris taylor like this.
  4. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Oh boy.
    The risks we take just to keep the siblings happy.:(

David H likes this.
  5. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

I imagine they'd feel like they had a superpower! They can go anywhere and do what they want. Although, like you said, most things are closed and cancelled...

Grantus likes this.
  6. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

Well done, Grandpa! :) Ha ha, I'm picturing you rocking that pram with a broom handle!

7. Grantus

How ironic, that I recall in years gone by, teachers and parents warning kids that were goofing in school, saying things like, “If you don’t pay attention, don’t do your homework, and don’t get good grades, you’ll end up just packing shelves in a supermarket.” :(

That job is now the most secure, and guaranteed employment you can have, for the short and medium term at the moment! :p

David H, TeeBee and Luckyphil like this.
  8. chris taylor

They keep saying that the kids of today have to get a higher education ,( why ) , if every one had a higher education there would be no one to do the lower paid jobs.then we would be up s==t creek.

David H, Wayne murray and TeeBee like this.
  9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You are right Chris not every one is cut out to be a lawyer and Doctor,some one got to be a garbologist and the amount of lower paid workers would count for a larger % of taxes.

It will be only a matter of time before work will shut down.

TeeBee, David H and chris taylor like this.
  10. chris taylor

Yes it's certainly looking that way. Just by how much is any ones guess .

11. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

I have decided to take unpaid leave from the end of this week - patients are scared to attend and the doctors are just waiting for the private hospitals to stop procedures - they are running very low on PPE (personal protection equipment) and they don't know when it will be replenished. By me removing myself, my co-workers have more chance of keeping their hours a bit longer - it was very sad today when I told them. If things change, my job will still be there if I want it.

TeeBee, oldman, BrianK and 2 others like this.
  12. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

My wife is being forced to go to work because the Education Dept is still kidding themself that there will be an HSC this year and are prepared to put staff in harms way to be heros in delivering. Those making the decisions are working from home with no regard for their staff health & safety. Bastards

oldman likes this.
  13. chris taylor

Yes that's called delegation of duties. I call it self preservation.

TeeBee likes this.
  14. chris taylor

Better for you in the long run Melissa.
    Less chance of you getting the Virus.
    What about Scott?

15. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

We gunna go out tomoz and try and get a little bit food and some bum rolls haven’t been able to get for couple weeks. Then go chemist stock up the pills that keep us alive, then locking our selves in for 3 weeks. I made myself a protection piece today in case all the zombies try and get us. Stay well and safe peoples. D43FBA58-9856-4FD3-B146-340E7889D3C0.jpeg

oldman, David H, TeeBee and 1 other person like this.
  16. Grantus

Good luck with getting the loo rolls.

It does seem to have become the latest currency: “Butt-Coin”. :(

Subdub67, TeeBee and BrianK like this.
  17. chris taylor

Need sumfing bigger than that mate.

BrianK and David H like this.
  18. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

That's great! :)

BrianK likes this.
  19. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Is that a 'plug in' in case no bum rolls?
    To be sure ..to be sure;).
    Cheers

BrianK likes this.
  20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Students whose vocational guidance was towards a trade - bricky, chippy, sparky, plumber, foundry worker patent maker etc mostly left work after 4th year High School ..... office workers went on to 6th year.
    Making it mandatory for everyone to do up to 6th High School is one reason the mentioned trades are struggling for apprenticeships along with other factors such as now there is no job security at the end of their apprenticeship ..... push for a University degree and the teachings that when you complete your course you are worthy of managerial status and pay straight up with no relevant work or practical experience.

The mundane tasks or lower paid jobs are now being taken up mainly by new Australians or immigrants wanting a better way of life in Oz who take on any job to get a pay .

David H and chris taylor like this.