1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COVIDSafe App tracker.... will you, won’t you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grantus, Apr 19, 2020.

?

COVID 19 Mobile Phone App

Poll closed May 17, 2020.
  1. Yes, I will

20 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, I won’t

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Whoops....
    Coronavirus Australia live news: COVIDSafe app ‘coming into its own’

2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I don’t pay the subscription fee to read “The Australian” publication online, so I won’t comment.

3. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Likewise to Grant.
    Murdock disinformation from the same types that suggest no lockdown as it disadvantages the young and only killing old people a few weeks earlier than normal.

Believe whatever fantasy you like but facts remain facts regardless of the opinions of nutters.

4. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

Believe whatever fantasy you like but facts remain facts regardless of the opinions of nutters.

Hmmm.....

oldman and wirrah like this.
  5. Grantus

When the Victorian debarcle was first exposed, the statement from the authorities was:

“Some of the security have been doing the wrong thing, and ignoring correct social distancing. They were seen on a break sharing a cigarette lighter.”

I reckon that’s a new euphemism! When pubs and bars reopen, the pickup line will be, “Want to share a lighter?” :D

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    TeeBee, cbus and Luckyphil like this.
  6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

The "App" is only as functional as the person who downloads it allows it to be :eek:

There are settings recommended (4 I see on my Android phone) and to be fully functional they should all be on/active ..... if not then the case of whether it is working or not fulls back on the phone user :rolleyes: - user error by disabling any or all as then it won't work as intended - a matter that is not taken into consideration by those reporting on it's effectiveness as they don't ask that simple question :p.

It would also seem that priority was given believing everyone had an Apple iphone (or whatever they are called) ..... a misconception by so many organisations prioritising this brand over those using a phone with Android as the OS :oops: ..... Android in fact has a larger market share than Apple :confused:

7. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If numbers and facts are not your Forte' then maybe publicity / advertising can fill the blank.

Pandemic?...
    What pandemic.
    ...it's ok, ignore the app, there's a wall wall between them .
    Theroreticaly .:rolleyes:
    https://amp.news.com.au/travel/trav...s/news-story/4648daf87eaac3ec512768b3c5e2d7bb

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

With pathetic mobile phone cover in our area I persist with my old Samsung flip phone. As you said "a misconception" that we all have smart phones (and know how to work them).

oldman and KahunaKombi like this.
  9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Should be pretty safe out your way ,in the scrub. Unless you frequent local coffee shops ;)

10. KahunaKombi

I don't class them as smart phones o_O ..... like you all I need it for is to make and receive calls if I'm out & about ..... receive more calls & notices for the wife who refuses to have one herself :oops:.

11. Nozza

Nozza Well-Known Member

12. Alpal

Carol has her 'smart phone' which she uses for facebook etc. My mobile is for when we are away from the house but at home we use the landline attached to an old fixed wire phone. In a bushfire area the old technology is more reliable..

oldman likes this.
  13. Grantus

8th day now without a landline - just static instead of a dial tone. The old copper line has been dug up, flooded, burnt out and repaired more than a dozen times over the years, and really needs replacing, but there’s not enough Telstra customers at the receiving end, to warrant them spending the money to replace the 7.5 kms of cable from the ancient exchange. And in an area without a mobile signal.

The ADSL is still working, albeit a bit flaky, on the same copper line.

And my current “smartphone”, that although was considered “smart” when new, (Iphone 4), is not actually smart enough to run the Covid Safe App.

Alpal likes this.
  14. Alpal

Sounds familiar!

15. KahunaKombi

Info about iPhone 4 - Apple no longer supports the phone and neither do developers, so even if you were using an iPhone 4 you wouldn't be able to upgrade the software and you'd be running seriously old versions of apps.

Same applies to iPads ..... it's Apples way of making you update to a new version of the device and the penalty you pay for the supposed convenience of being up to date with the latest technology :confused:. My iPad 4 is no longer supported by Apple and struggles to work on the internet without a full power cycle every 2 days .... I'm told to get or update apps BUT that organisation does not support the IOS anymore :(. When I decide to replace it then a Samsung or other that can do wi-fi & Cellular or bluetooth connection to mobile is looking good ;).

General rule of thumb is that once your model is superseded by the next you may get 5 years of continued support from the manufacturer then you ride the wave of using other "apps" that no longer support that OS.

16. Grantus

If the Tech gadgets lasted as long as Kombi’s, they’d never sell new ones, so the planned built in redundancy is inevitable.

My iPhone 4 was a “hand me down”, after they turned off the 2g network, when I bought the new 6 or 7 one for the wife, which does handle the CovidSafe app...... for what it’s worth!

But even unsupported, and can’t get emails, (thankfully), the 4 still allows people to ring me, and I can ring them..... just like a phone, (when I’m not at home, and then get a signal). It’s just a MOBILE PHONE, for when I’m mobile.

Although, I can still also take the odd Kombi Spotting pic too! ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020