1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Craigs hut and Sheepyard Flat

Discussion in 'Victoria' started by jenniewren, Nov 20, 2014.

1. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

Heeelllooo.....yeah I know haven't posted for sometime have been extremely busy....taking off for w/ends in Kombi & life just gets in the way. BUT I have been lurking in the background!
    Has anyone taken their Kombi to either Craig's Hut or into Sheepyard Flat (near Mansfield, Victoria)? That's next on the hit list but unsure if Kombi will make it!

2. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

Been up to mt buller also mt baw baw which is a even steeper hill several times both in winter and summer
    You will be fine...just gear down..early
    Have fun
    Cheers Jerome

3. Gerry and Robyn

Gerry and Robyn Active Member

Hi Jenniewren,
    I haven't been into Sheepyard Flat for some years, but the large sign at the start of the narrow road warns motorists to keep to the left. There must be lots of situations where some vehicles with camper trailers coming the other way like their fair share of the dirt road. I think for this reason we would not go in on a weekend.
    I'd be surprised, too, if there wasn't a creek crossing or two.
    I have no personal experience with Craig's Hut, apart from bushwalking there in the early 90's.

4. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

havent been to those spots but done a lot of driving fire trails in the area that most people balk at.
    Just go for it.
    it was in a 71 with 1600 motor as well
    kombis are good on rough tracks .
    take a couple of hessian sacks for traction in slippery stuff. A tow strap.
    snow chains good for mud and climbing over logs. small shovel and quality hand winch if pushing it into serious 4x4 territory.
    axe.
    the ground clearance and weight distribution give you a distinct advantage over a car.
    in rutted stuff just work to keep the rear tyres in contact. if one wheel starts to slip pull hand brake half way on to give resistance to the spinning wheel.

Enjoy the weekend. im sure it will encourage you to do many more and even consider a set of off road tyres :)

your oil will be fine :)
    take spare oil. aerostart, innox or wd40. multimeter. basic tool kit and 18 inch breaker bar with 19mm QUALITY socket and short extension for wheel nuts.

cheers
    col

Surf77 likes this.
  5. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

Phew...that's like a 4 x 4 list Col! I remember you saying you use to go up the fire tracks at the back of Ferny Creek! The only thing we didn't take out of your list was spare oil as the boy topped up before we left, but quite frankly the road into Sheepyard Flats was seriously excellent! One serious hairpin bend. We actually met a semi trailer on it but he had pulled over on a VERY WIDE verge and it was easy peasy. The hairpin at on the Mt Dandenong tourist road is sharper, albeit it's bitumen! The gravel road itself was excellent. No doubt the shire keep it well maintained as the traffic was amazing going in and coming out. Plenty of room to pass....as for the signage of "stay on the left"....I think that is because 4 x 4's towing vans (& there were plenty of them once we got there) tend to swing wide & there a few blind corners but they are generously wide and probably just drivers who think no-one else uses the road! Trust me...it was like "Bourke Street"! No hesitation in saying take your Kombi in. And it's not a very steep climb in or out...it's a really lovely spot! Yes, we won't hesitate too much on going bush on good gravel roads. Pretty hilarious seeing the astonished looks on campers faces when we meander in and cruise past whopping big shiny 4 x 4's......gives us a quite a chuckle!
    The boy definitely goes for it....he has read your notes & agrees wholeheartedly.
    Not sure on the snow bit & climbing over logs.....I am not a snow bunny.

Purrsia likes this.
  6. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

There are no creek crossings & the road certainly is not a narrow track! In fact it is an excellent, quite a wide well maintained gravel road in....easy peasy!
    "Keep to the left" signage is because there are a couple of blind corners & quite frankly we don't understand why you have to "tell" people to stick to the left...it's basic common sense! Craig's Hut is a little more challenging & we decided perhaps not after the rain they had! Think about that one...might do that in our Landrover I think.....but as far as Sheepyard.....GO THERE in your Kombi. If our 1600 can do it easily on such a great road everyone can...it's totally worth a stay there. Beautiful and plenty of room and lots of areas to camp. We will go back....

7. jenniewren

jenniewren Member

I had to read this twice!!! Seriously? Mt Buller & Baw Baw! Good grief, bet that was a challenge.....once again we thought about Buller but we have been there several times but not in a KOMBI....being only a 1600 we thought it might struggle a little too much. The boy was verrry tempted tho! Will have to tell him you did it in Summer & Winter. Amazing.....good on you! We have come thru Black Spur quite a few times.....slowly...urrrghhh....more horsepower needed. I have learnt to pack really lightly & thinking quite serious over cutting out half the bench top....that'll give us...ummmm 5K's more speed! Har.....
    Yep... he has realised that down changing at just the right time makes the world of difference to an incline!!!! He just needs a little more practice at it as he detests holding up the traffic.....har!

8. betsy

betsy Well-Known Member

The mt baw baw road was the steepest road I had ever taken Betsy ...until I visited Jenolan Caves NSW...first gear the whole way .

Dont worry about holding up traffic and you will enjoy your kombi even more.
    cheers Jerome

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

yeah. stuff the traffic. dont trash an engine.
    not much[none] between gewrs so early downshifts necessary.
    can see a new engine on the wish list :)
    being a hills dweller, some 195/70/14 tyres would make a small difference and not loose much on the HWY.

10. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Visited sheepyard flat recently in the kombi.
    The road in, was not ideal... VERY bumpy and literally shook our carbies and earth wire loose from the battery!
    Other than that, if you take it easy, your kombis will definitely handle it... maybe avoid it though if you've lowered your bus. You want some GOOD suspension to drive that road and your clutch would need to be in very good working order. ;)

beautiful camp once you get there. top little fishing spot too.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

then your earth strap wasn't properly tightened or battery isn't secured :p

are you saying your clutch and shocks are sus :)

dropping tyre pressures a little helps heaps on the bumps and gives a bit more traction . maybe 30F 32R for starters unless you have a pump to inflate them once on the sealed stuff or theres a servo on the way. But its ok to run hwy with these , just stick to max 90 and expect a little more body roll.

off road trails are definitely kombi territory but some can be testy .
    good to see you getting some fun payback for all the work :)

12. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

Just meant that you will need to use your clutch often on the ups and downs.

This was actually the trip where the smoke started billowing out.

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

How does clutch use often equate, apart from selecting the correct gear?

Bit confused here.....o_O

Choose the same gear going down, as you would to go up, and it should all be good, shouldn't it? :rolleyes:

14. Chidori

Chidori Active Member

W
    You might be thinking about this statement a bit too much... I was just referring to the steep, long, short, windy, long, varied hills that you encounter on the road in and out. I needed to change gear plenty of times. And yeh if you can't select gears properly you might be in a bit of bother.