1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curtains without rails?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Timc91, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

Hi Guys!
    I'm looking at some options for putting curtains in my 74 bay bus. However I'm not too keen on drilling and countersinking rails into the new interior/ would like the flexibility to have it all open like the picture attached. I'm sure someone's got or done some sort of temporary/ non invasive curtain situations going on?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Timc91,
    Given your criteria perhaps the same way @ruby6689 does her fly screens with magnets sewn into edges;).
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Timc91 and Wayne murray like this.
  3. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I would have to say that what David H has mentioned above:rolleyes: is probably the only answer to the question.That will look good.Without diving into the cordless drill department:eek: Velcro would be another option but would look Crap:eek:o_O for me.

Timc91 likes this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Magnetic fly screens, magnetic sunshades...........next obvious step is magnetic curtains. :rolleyes:

Utilize the all metal solid Kombi construction, which allows such easy adaptions.

My mobile phone has a magnetic backing, and locks onto the dash without moving whilst traveling.....try doing that on a modern dash! :p

Timc91 and David H like this.
  5. David H

What......don't magnets stick to plastic:rolleyes:
    Cheers

Timc91 likes this.
  6. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

If you really want curtains but don't want to drill, you should be able to use the stretchy white wire with the hooks on each end and they should go from the coat knobs on each side middle, the ones above the front seat belts and a screw on the hinge covers. Your tailgate window will not have any holes there already though but you can get a cheap sun shade and cut it down to size and they use 2 suction caps to hold it in place. When you don't need it, you can fold it up and place under the mattress or behind your spare wheel.

7. kombiwhisperer

kombiwhisperer Member

After years of mucking about, we finally made some anti-mould insulated patterned window covers, they attach with suction cups, 20 sec to fit and don't sweat like the silver type ones. Worked great at the Winter Chill-out

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      52.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      55.6 KB
      Views:
  8. jtkombi

jtkombi Active Member

We've been playing with a few options over the years too.
    We had the original curtain rails but could never get the gliders to fit properly and they caused more headaches than anything. Tried the stretchy wire too, worked better but use to annoy me when driving as it use to rattle against the side of the bus, but that could just be the way we attached it.
    Our last trip we put magnets in the curtains, worked well and quick to put up but we need to either get stronger magnets or more of them for the top of the curtains above the windows where it had to stick through the headlining, as they could be bumped off easily. It's been the best option for us by far at moment.

We use the suction cap silver thermo mats on the windows as well but really like the look of what you did kombiwhisperer

9. Timc91

Timc91 New Member

Sounds like a viable option Melissa! I'll look into that. Might have to drop off some fabric at the parents place for mum to sew up :p
    Although I do think i could get some funky prints going like Kombiwhisperer's option!

10. David H

Hi kombiwhisperer,
    They are cool:cool:.
    Cheers

Timc91 likes this.
  11. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

12. PICT

PICT Member

I use Ametalin ThermalBrane 6.5, a bit overkill but it keeps the van cool/hot, attach it like the JK ones, I also used it to insulate every possible surface that I could, it makes a massive difference, going to cover and edge them to make them a bit more attractive. Got mine off GumTree from someone who had been insulating a house and had bought too much