1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cv joint help

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Farky66, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey folks,
    Half way through changing cv joints. I brought a kit and a cork seal came with it. I was wondering where it went whether it goes between the cv joint a where it connects to the gear box or whether it just goes between the boot and the cv joint?
    Thanks
    Lochie

2. Farky66

Farky66 Member

image.jpg
    This is the seal I'm talking about
    image.jpg

3. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

I had the same dilemma and decided not to use them because none of the manuals or web sites refer to them. The other dilemmas were whether to use the dished washer and which way to orient the new joints.

The old joints had the washer and the new kits came with them but I decided not to use them based on the advice in Bentley. I oriented the new joints with the single groove inwards based on the advice in Muir (Bentley doesn't say).

4. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Another tip - don't assume that CV joints are assembled correctly out of the box. I installed them as is out of the box and have discovered that the ball cages (or whatever you call them) are facing different directions on different joints because the profile of the edges is different between the inside and outside.

5. Farky66

Farky66 Member

Hey Mellow Yellow,
    Thats good to hear! I ended up leaving them off. I tried to put them on but was an absolute pain in the arse to get them positioned. Couldnt find any diagrams where they were used so should be ok. About the dished washer, they didnt fit with it on so had to leave off.
    I followed bentley as well with orientation and seems to be working fine so far...

Thats really unlucky with the cvs being put together wrong. Mine were all good luckily. I hope you hadnt got too far into greasing them up when you noticed, other wise i imagine it would be an even messier job than it already is.