1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CV joint

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Ian and Shelley, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Ian and Shelley

Ian and Shelley Active Member

Hello....

I am replacing torn CV boots and read somewhere to reverse the shaft to increase CV joint lifespan..

As I am unsure if CV has been removed and already reversed by previous owner ... Is there anything I should notice to confirm if to reverse / swap CV joint..

Of is best left as is, there was no noise or unhappiness ..so just repack grease and replace?

Thanks

Ian

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

You may want to clean old grease off CV joint and inspect for any pitting,if pitting is found replace CV joint as well,if everything is good put your new CV boot on and repack with new CV grade grease that contains molybdenum disulphide.

3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Ian...
    get good boots - I had some that only lasted 6 mths. Febi Bilstein have been good.

clean the bolt heads out first...check if they are hex or 12 point and get right tool

cable ties are useful to support the axles while you are unbolting and reassembling

sandwich bags around the CVs are good for keeping them clean

try not to tip the joint too far or the balls can fall out

having the axle upright in a vice is a handy way to work on them

the grease stays on/in your skin for some time ... you could think about some of those disposable gloves

Patrick

David H, Wayne murray and cbus like this.
  4. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Some say to reverse the cv itself, will ensure longevity......not the shaft.
    It’s a very messy job and takes time to strip, clean and repack each cv and re- install.
    Personally, (and I’ve had my fair share of cv woes...) I’d be repacking them but only if necessary, or they are starting to click when you go around corners.....
    If you choose to replace them, only use genuine Lobro units. There are cheaper ones out there....Rublex....but they are rubbish.....I learned the hard way.
    If it ain’t broke....don’t fix it ! Many owners screw up perfectly good cv’s by messing around with them unnecessarily.
    .....and as mentioned above, only use quality boots.....otherwise you’ll be doing it all again sooner than you want....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  5. oldman

There is already an excellent CV sticky in the How to &Handy Hints Section, posted by StevieVW and added to by others. Unfortunately it seems that Photobucket is screwing with pics again.....will try and sort.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  6. Ian and Shelley

Thanks for the link, very helpful, got everything back together correctly today

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  7. Ian and Shelley

Just ONE more question...

The ribbed lock washers on the bolts...I need 24 to replace all old, are there any stores that stock them?

I have searched, online VW shops who have just 10 available,

Surely these are standard washer's available from a hardware store ( although I haven't been able to find any yet)

Can anyone suggest Star washers or other washers to secure bolts correctly?

Need these ASAP...

Have to br ready and on the road for Old Bar this coming Friday..and would like a day or 2 for testing !!!

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  8. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  9. oldman

Try your local VW parts supplier.....they are called Schnorr washers....I sourced them from VW at a fraction of the cost than aftermarket suppliers....
    You could also try an engineering fastener supplier....
    Cheers,
    Mark

Mr Beckstar and Wayne murray like this.
  10. Ian and Shelley

Thanks for all the advice

The new boots came with new bolts.
    New ribbed washers were sourced from local fasteners store who advised they were nord- lock washers?
    Maybe these were used by previous owner, there was a mix of ribbed washers / spring washers etc etc..
    So a new set of Nord Washers ( hope these work) have been installed..

Two original bolts had to be cut off, heads were worn and seized in place.

All back together and good to go..

Will keep a close eye on the bolts, I have re -torqued them after first test run this weekend and all looked good..

Old Bar tomorrow ( hopefully)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019