Dash Light layout

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by iano6666, Jul 27, 2017.

1. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Hi All
    My dash lights on the 74 van are quite dull - looking at how to brighten this up
    Considering LED bulbs ?
    Have been advised to attack from under rather than removing the plate.

Does anyone know where I might find the 'layout' of the bulbs - what does what ?

Ta
    ian

2. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Being t5 size globes it isn't easy to get direct led replacements that improve the illumination. I rigged ups t10 5 led lights but still not that happy with it. I have seen a post somewhere where reflective tape was used inside the cluster. It is a bit of a rats nest behind the cluster and leds are polarity sensitive. I can't imagine doing it without removing the cluster from the dash but then again I didn't give it a red hot go.

3. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Ian,
    If you're talking about 'back lighting'.

Peter915 does those Led's. Oldman did his dash lights (I'm yet to) & is way happy. I've done all of mine in Led's except dash lights & number plate. Procrastinating:rolleyes:.

As to dash panel off or a half hour upside down it's a bit 6 of one & half a dozen of the other. One is very frustrating & the other is a good aerobic workout! Don't like either. That's why I've postponed! Dash panel out is a convoluted hand grip thingy for retaining clips.

Upside down it's obvious what ones you should change. The bulb pulls & the fitting twists & turns so come out easy & go back the same.
    Albeit you're upside down:p.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Thanks David - yes have done the upside down thing - not as flexible as I use to be - Have done a few other lights with LEDs - incl number plate & reversing lights - works well - will explore further & contact Peter for suggestions.
    On removing the cluster it was suggested that there are little springs etc that often fly off !!. I have ben able to get a couple out but not sure what they do - didn't seem tho make a difference ??

5. iano6666

iano6666 New Member

Hi Paul - ta - How do you check the polarity - trial & error ? - I have tried a version of LED - but no go?

6. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

trial and error was the system i used

7. Burnstar

Burnstar Member

I took mine out of my 74, added the reflective tape, didn't change the bulbs though, the biggest difference was removing and cleaning the glass. I don't drive much at night but the current lighting is OK for me.

oldman likes this.
  8. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

The springs are what hold the cluster in place.....can be buggers to get right, particularly the l/h/s pair.....you'll need small, double jointed hands and a very good sense of humour ! Led's give a whiter illumination. If they don't work, pull 'em out and reverse them( polarity). This may take a while, as the speedo light loom is in series and if the first led in line is not working, the second won't either, even if it is put in correctly.....trial and error. Don't try and do it when you are short on time, all you'll achieve is elevated blood pressure and frustration ;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Wayne murray and David H like this.
  9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Thanks Mark,
    Gave me some motivation & direction. I'm taking the dash out after steering wheel off just so I'm not upside down for half a day. I hear about the light shuffle & that's better done vertical due to lots of time needed! Don't understand 'series or parallel' despite my deceased dads attempts to help me understand. Wiring being my weakest field!;):rolleyes:. I'll just bring determination & patience to the bus.
    Cheers