1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Sharing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by David H, Nov 19, 2019.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Groovers,
    So today I needed to get a new set of spark plug leads for my daily drive. Now I did buy these from Repco 5 years ago but just went in & gave model, year etc & got my receipt.
    Today was just asked for my rego over the phone. No ask if I was a previous customer unlike Harvey Norman & then give my phone number:(. Gave that rego & Vanessa said "we have them in stock for your Hyundai Tucson 2009 model".
    Any thoughts folks. I've got a few:mad:.
    Not Happy but geez it made it easy.
    Reckon with that data sharing they'll just send me the next set based on history:rolleyes: in 5 yrs time or to the next owner & they'll wonder why spark plug leads turned up:p:rolleyes::oops:?
    Cheers

2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

5 years isn't a very long life.

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Repco, SCA or other parts shop would be my last choice to get any classic VW parts from :eek: ..... but then there are some classic VW parts shops I'd avoid also ;)

As for the data sharing :rolleyes: something got twisted in the data feed :confused:

chris taylor likes this.
  4. Roo

Roo Active Member

I think they were for the right vehicle, just not so happy with the fact that it’s all on file off the rego!

David H and Ninga like this.
  5. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

quite often now, you type your number plate into car parts sites (or you put your vehicle details in 'garage')...many have my name and address on file as well (as a customer)

...I'm okay with all of that as long as the correct parts are listed

...but yeah, the combination of what cars you have at an address could be an issue in the wrong hands (and some of these sites may not have systems as secure as insurance companies or motor registries)

P.S. Menulog, Uber Eats and Deliveroo all know something about me too :D

David H likes this.
  6. Ninga

Ninga Well-Known Member

Convenience vs privacy...
    I choose privacy.

old grey, Roo, TeeBee and 3 others like this.
  7. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

For quite a period they have been able to see rego linked with vehicle type. All state rego check services give public access to that level of info and lots of auto companies including the airbag website have gotten access to those details with no other info available. There is no other info as to owner or address details available.

I think we passed the privacy barrier many years ago and there is no putting the genie back in the bottle now. Disappearing is very hard now. Just relax and in this case anyway, enjoy the convenience.

Adrian

David H, tintop, syncro and 3 others like this.
  8. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

That's what call good service .Saves one looking stupid like me sometimes when you can't remember what the part was called but you say I bought one here before, now they can save you from that n just look it up.

David H likes this.
  9. chris taylor

Data sharing is the way of the world now.
    Remember we used to say,"big brother is watching" well dam it , so is his aunt, uncles ,cousins, sisters and even the next door neighbour. Ahhh it'used to be communism now it's called computorism. They are WATCHING:(

Lol

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    TeeBee, David H and Wayne murray like this.
  10. David H

Did do 100,k per set tho. The leads run over the top of the head so I guess they get heat!

Should have made it clearer they were not for a Kombi;).

Thanks for that Adrian. I summised it was the access to NSW Roads & Maritime register & I did not think they were actually giving open access (ie. all my details) & did love the convenience:). I did think the Government would be charging for access. Good on 'em as they make a buck & I get cheaper rego & better service! It just shocked me how quick this world is changing;):eek:.
    Cheers

Mordred likes this.
  11. chris taylor

I would too Chrissy but the government thinks differently. And if you think about it carefully you will realise those days are becoming short lived.The digital world is here to stay and a lot of our privacy has gone out the widow.

12. David H

Well Chris.... they didn't give away my name or address so none of my 'privacy':). Just the car and no name person drives to an unknown address. If I felt it was more than this I'd be the first to protest;).
    Data did make my job easier, the counter persons job easier & the whole transaction was very positive:D. It just troubled me as an oldie:p about where we are headed.
    This 'data share' seems contained;). Not sure about the next:mad:?
    Cheers

13. David H

& your kids privacy if you're not REALLY vigilant Chrissy which is why , I guess, you took their names off your profile here. Keep hyper vigilant & hope your kids have no internet profile until they decide that's what they want;). Met Lauren when her daughter was 17yrs. 17yr old daughter wondered why I was protective of my younger girls & their internet presence. 12 yrs later steppy asks that no photos of our grand children be posted to the internet & we respect that. She now understands as a parent what I was protecting my kids from:oops:. Had a great day with the 2 grand kids today:D:D:D.
    Cheers

TeeBee and chris taylor like this.