1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Side Mirror not staying in place at high speeds

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by bilckster, Jan 9, 2009.

1. bilckster

bilckster Member

Side Mirror not staying in place at high speeds

I thought I'd re-post this here as it seems a more appropriate place to get help for a T3 mirror.

A lot of people must have had similar issues before to the one I described below. Any way to fix it without having to fork out for a new side mirror?

My side mirrors (especially the LHS one) do not stay in place once I get up around 80kms/hr. The wind seems to knock them around a bit.

I tried tightening the spring inside the bottom section of the mirror but after tightening it the bolt came loose from the mirror.

My question is:

Is there a very strong 2 part epoxy (or any glue of equal strength) that will be suitable for holding the allen bolt and mirror together even when the pressure of the spring is placed on the join?

I've looked at the below link and there seem to be some good industrial strength 2 part epoxies out there but I've had trouble finding what I need at Bunnings or Super Cheap Auto. Any other places I should be looking?

http://community.livejournal.com/ana...ch/341901.html
    The two parts that need to fit together and stay together permanently have been circled in red below.

The joint properly connected
    [​IMG]

The allen bolt that needs to be glued to the mirror join
    [​IMG]

The mirror join that needs to be glued to the allen bolt
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Try some of the Locktite products.

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

When I had the same problem, I couldn't find a product that would do the job, especially as two components would not now be same size or tolerance as they would have been when new.... :(

I ended up buying a new mirror, and very gently tighten that tension nut as little as possible, to keep them in place.....

4. bilckster

bilckster Member

Thanks Grantus.

Not quick easy fix that I was after but at least I know someone has been there, done that. I might try and find a new mirror.

5. DunnoDub

DunnoDub Member

The Bus Stop has them :)

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, as I had too, that although the whole design of the mirror, with a tension nut and spring fighting against a glued in thread looked like a bit of a "cop out" by the VW designers..... it did last me over 12 years before replacement, and the next one is still going strong..

I imagine many parts on the Japanese equivalent of the day, would have been happy to make it last the warranty period of less than 3 years...:rolleyes:

7. kombi kountry

kombi kountry New Member

i had my LHS mirror replaced with a new one (old one wasn't moving but had mould growing in it...weird) and it started moving straight away whenever above 80km. can't believe i've had it for about 2 yrs now and haven't done anything about it (well suppose it only gets driven on weekends but still). i might try pulling it apart and having a look. don't know what brand it is (mechanic fitted it) but just noticed the the paint on the base started to flake off already! (must be a cheap aftermarket copy??).